Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anti-Theft Failures

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anti-Theft Failures

Obviously this thread would be for those who have had their rides messed with or stolen.

I'm curious about the individual success and failure stories behind anti-theft devices - i.e. what worked and what didn't. Those of you with GPS locators in place who have had to use them, did they work? How much of your car was left when you recovered it?

My curiosity stems from my fear that my car will be stolen at some point in its life, despite the countermeasures I've put into place.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anti-Theft Failures

I'm interested in this too. Statistics I guess.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

almost got my ride stolen. the fawkers ripped out my siren and disconnected the battery and then tried to start it. but lucky me i had a two way and a back up battery and a kill switch. they couldnt get it to start so they tried push starting it with a suv pushing it. as soon as my two way went off i ran outside and they were a block away still trying to start it. when they saw me run out with my meat cleaver they took off. then my car kept rolling and hit a random persons car. i got it back in one piece just minor damage
Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice so one point for the following:
Backup battery/siren
Kill Switch
Meat Cleaver
Old 05-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you don't want your **** jacked you REALLy need one of these mounted in a secret location...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SBR-LL/
Old 05-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pityocamptes
If you don't want your **** jacked you REALLy need one of these mounted in a secret location...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SBR-LL/
I'm curious about this, what does it exactly do or keep you from doing? I've never heard of it or seen it. Can you please explain? Where it goes.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:49 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This needs to go in the Audio/Security forum.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And I've had only 3 times where someone tried stealing my cars. All 3 times, the car was undrivable. They broke my ignition the first time and the driver window. They didn't realize there weren't any wheels on the front end, and the battery was taken out at that time too. The next time i had the front wheels off because i was swapping out my rack and pinion, so i had no rack and no wheels and they still popped my window open and opened the door and set off the alarm. Third time they popped my window again and tried to steal gas, but i had a lock on the gas cap. Each time this happened, the Integra was outside, usually it was parked in the garage.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my anti - theft device:

kill switch/motion sensor/ tilt sensor/back up battery/ stealth alarm installation

back up plans: SKS or ak47 would do the trick or a semi-auto uzi or sumthing
Old 05-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaluver19
I'm curious about this, what does it exactly do or keep you from doing? I've never heard of it or seen it. Can you please explain? Where it goes.
It looks like it acts as a shunt with an electric switch.

This needs to go in the Audio/Security forum.
oops

All 3 times, the car was undrivable
So 3 points for having critical components missing as deterrent. I especially like the removal of the front wheels idea.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaluver19

Well they lock up your brakes. They go inline to your brake line at the booster/master cylinder area. They are for drag racing, wherein you lock up the front tires so that you can burn out and heat up the rear for traction.

Some people say they are bad as they add undue pressure to your brake hydraulic seals (however brake locks are sold all over the place - they look like steering wheel locks), which may cause leaking, plus line locks say they are not rated for continues duty, which I have not really seen an issue with (they also have manual non electric ones). I had a friend who used one on his truck and never had problems, in fact it saved his *** when his truck got stolen one night. He woke up to hear screeching tires down his street. They ended up burning his tranny out, but they bailed from the truck as the front brakes were completely locked up with the line lock...
Old 05-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
It looks like it acts as a shunt with an electric switch.

What would it hook up to though?

So 3 points for having critical components missing as deterrent. I especially like the removal of the front wheels idea.
LOL. Yeah, it seemed to work pretty well. Minus having to start the car with a screw driver for about a week until i got an ignition.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well they lock up your brakes. They go inline to your brake line at the booster/master cylinder area. They are for drag racing, wherein you lock up the front tires so that you can burn out and heat up the rear for traction.
I like this idea however I do see it damaging the caliper seals eventually. Imagine letting your car sit with the brakes applied for hours on end...
Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some people say they are bad as they add undue pressure to your brake hydraulic seals (however brake locks are sold all over the place - they look like steering wheel locks), which may cause leaking, plus line locks say they are not rated for continues duty, which I have not really seen an issue with (they also have manual non electric ones). I had a friend who used one on his truck and never had problems, in fact it saved his *** when his truck got stolen one night. He woke up to hear screeching tires down his street. They ended up burning his tranny out, but they bailed from the truck as the front brakes were completely locked up with the line lock...

i like this too. i guess it would be good for parking lots, when going to the mall or grocery store. But i agree, i wouldn't leave it on over night or anything. i park in the garage at night anyways.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure you could easily wire it into a regular alarm system that when triggered activates the solenoid on the line lock, hell you could run it into the clutch (stick) - theives would not be able to engage in gear... better yet, run it into the fuel line. Alarm activates, triggers solenoid which shunts the fuel supply... I'm sure there are a ton of ideas for a line lock solenoid...
Old 05-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could always use the lever locks for your E brake system...

kind of pricey, though...

http://www.mico.com/store/brake_locks
Old 05-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting thread... notice the mico lock hooked to the coil lead. Thief drives away and hits the brake and then the hydraulic line locks up. No need to have it locked up for long periods of time, solenoid is engaged when the vehicle is started...

Looks like mico-locks are for long term usage and will not burn out like a line lock might...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com
Old 05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just have a basic Viper alarm. One night someone smashed my drivers side window which set of the alarm. I was sound asleep but I do remember hearing it go off. I passed it off as being my neighbors since he has the same alarm. I went to my car to go to work the next morning to find most of the window stuck to the tint laying on the ground with broken glass all over the interior. I doubt they were trying to steal the car since the armrest and change tray were open and it's contents strewn about. Plus I saw where they chipped the bezel trying to get the radio. Luckily nothing was taken.

Lesson learned. When you hear an alarm go off...WAKE UP!!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Or you could get one of these...

http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-car...y-system.shtml

Hahahahahahahahahahaha..............
Old 05-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/alarm-coward-thief-%3D-just-broken-window-2467871/
Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Or you could get one of these...

http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-car...y-system.shtml

Hahahahahahahahahahaha..............
I like this too. LOL. I would love to see the look on a thieves face if he hopped in the car and all this smoke engulfed him! LMAO.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va96T_Lr_1o
Old 05-04-2011, 08:20 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts

My security suggestions:

-- stealth install, hidden kill switch, interior siren, TAMPERED-PROOF ignition screws.

If anyone wants additional info about the last item, PM me. I would be glad to help.