Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

alternator problems, very wierd?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator problems, very wierd?

OKay well this happens, every couple days, but the plug that plugs into the alternator keeps comming out, my car will run for a little bit and then act all wierd, rpm's on my tach will go very high very easy, lights flicker or dim ect. and thats how i would know to pull over and pop the plug back in. the plug came undone this morning when i was on the highway, the rpm's were at like 5k when i was going 70 so i new it was unplugged but i thought i could make it to work because the car was still running strong. There came a point in the highway where you had to slow down alot and when i did and tried to step on the gas again it kind of sputtered and i got no power what so ever and I heard a huge POP, now i have no idea what that popping noise was but i pulled over on the edge of the highway and plugged the plug back in expecting to start the car up and drive away as usual, but no it wouldnt start, i still had power running through the car but the car wouldnt start up. I had someone jump the car and it started immediatly and i drove away and everything was normal.

Now what i need to know is why the plug keeps popping out, at first i thought it was just falling out, but its been happening alot and its pretty hard to pull out by hand so there is no way its just falling out, the alternator must be shooting it out or something. I would also like to know what that POP noise could have been, it was really loud and it happend when i tried giving the car gas after slowing down when it was sputtering out. I know the popping noise wasnt the plug getting shout out of the alternator because that had already been popped out before the popping noise accured.

so pretty much what is causing the alternator plug to pop out, is it a short? messed up groung wire?

and what could that loud POP noise have been when the car sputtered out, i had just pushed on the gas to try to get it to accelerate and right when i hit the peddle it went POP and it was loud ill tell ya.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:52 AM

Default Re: alternator problems, very wierd? (chris61988kb)

sorry but i can't picture the alternator ejecting the plug cause there's a short or something, wires get cooked when the short. Sounds like it's a faulty plug or socket.

As for the pop, when you alternator was deactivated because the plug came out, the ignition system and computer for the car were both running off the battery. Then when you stabbed the gas, there wasn't much power left in the battery to fire the coil, so you experienced a misfire, and the pop you heard was the fuel probably igniting in the exhaust because it wasn't able to burn completly in the motor because the ignition system didn't have the power to light it. I'm guessing it sounded like a small gunshot? Then you had it jumped cause you had a dead battery, plugged the alternator back in, and life was good.

I'd find a way to secure the plug into the alternator, maybe clean the connector and the socket and make sure the tab on the connector works well. Then have your alternator tested just for peace of mind.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alternator problems, very wierd? (JDMFantasy2k)

your clip is probably broken, fix it before you start driving the car again. Loose wires cause shorts and ignition parts to fry.