Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Alright H-T, help a bro out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright H-T, help a bro out.

I've already searched high and low for this problem, and turned up nothing to help me out.

I have an exhaust rattle, coming from the muffler. Right after the problem started, I took it to the local muffler shop and the mechanic tells me "Whoever you bought this from mangled a bunch of pipes together to make it look like a catalytic converter. I just took them off and replaced it with new piping and no cat." NICE!
/end sarcasm/

I need help. It's a loud rattling sound and it's coming from the muffler, I've concluded that. I put a brand new muffler on it and it still makes the noise. I don't know whether it's because I don't have a cat, I don't have a resonator, or what, but it's getting annoying.

Thanks to anyone who helps me out here!!! Btw, it's a 93 lx 5 spd.

EDIT: The rattle comes mostly at idle, but occurs also around 3k rpms.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Alright H-T, help a bro out. (Casinbean)

Are the different parts of the exhaust welded together or bolted together (from the "cat" all the way back)? If they're bolts, try making sure they're all tightened and also make sure you're not missing any.

If that's not your problem, are your hangers on correctly? Try finding out exactly where the rattle's coming from.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and observe it exhaust pipe is hitting against chassis. lca..
Old 02-04-2008, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Alright H-T, help a bro out. (EXHUMED)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EXHUMED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are the different parts of the exhaust welded together or bolted together (from the "cat" all the way back)? If they're bolts, try making sure they're all tightened and also make sure you're not missing any.

If that's not your problem, are your hangers on correctly? Try finding out exactly where the rattle's coming from. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's all welded and the hangers are on correct. I Just don't know..could it be the lack of a resonator? Too much pressure?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 AM
vestalfootball72

put a cat on, and then come back and tell us what u think
Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 AM

Thats weird. I would say its absolutely a heat sheild, more specifically the one around your cat. But if you said you basically had the whole exhaust replaced and it still does it, i'd rule that out.

On my Integra, the rattle was actually coming from a loose and rusted out bolt on the header heat sheild. So once I popped that off..everything was good. Basically get under the car and take a gander. If theres any heat sheilds left on at all, definitely take those off.

And you could always, which I think you should do either way....take the car to a different exhaust shop/mechanic than the previous time. He may be able to diagnose whats causing the rattle without replacing your cat, and obviously saving you a decent chunk of dough.

And if all else fails...I'd also do Vestas idea and go purchase a cat, with what the muffler guy said there could still be some bullsiht sitting inside the pipe. Why? I have no idea, but who knows haha. Ideally you'd want to have a cat on there either way unless you're going the horsepower route and even then they have high flow cats to counteract the bottleneck problem. But anyways yeah, throw a cat on there and see what happens. Also have the exhaust guy save the part he removed for the cat, and take a look inside of it. Also, while its up on the lift w/ the new cat...ask the mechanic if he see's anything abnormal that could be causing the rattle. So this way he doesnt send you home with a new cat, but the same rattle he would have overlooked if you didn't tell him specifically to look for anything that could cause a rattle.

I hate when threads like this are never updated with the outcome, so deeeeefinitely let us know even if its 4 months from now...what ended up being the problem. You may not think so, but some people actually DO care if you resolve the problem or not, haha. Good luck man!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:54 PM

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

Thanks a TON for the input!

I will update on the problem, but I don't have the money right now to get it looked at and fixed. Thanks everyone
Old 02-04-2008, 04:04 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

i was going to ask if maybe the hangers were hitting the rear bumper support?! but you said you replaced the muffler correct?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (spock_rocker)

Heat shield right above where the cat is/was mostlikely.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:02 AM

Default Re: (RC000E)

I did replace the muffler, but the sound was the same if not worse than before. So I just went back to the old one and got my money back.

I'll check out the heat shields again when I get home.

UPDATE: Drove in heavy rain today and the sound was deadened a bit. Doesn't make sense to me
Old 02-23-2008, 03:58 PM

Default Re: (Casinbean)

Alright time for another update. I've decided to just replace the exhaust system, cat-back. I'm thinking I'm going to go the RS*R route, because I want a good tone instead of a raspy, loud, ricey one. My only question is, on RS*R's site, they only list the 92-00 civic 2dr. Will this system fit my 93 sedan?

Also, if you have any suggestions for exhaust systems please let me know. I think RS*R is teh best tho.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it can be the heat shield as it happend to my moms car, she took a jump and it expletiveed up the heat shiet or w.e its called my friend told me to get his air cutter and cut it off lol
Old 02-23-2008, 04:45 PM

sux dude
Old 02-24-2008, 08:19 AM

Default Re: (sb98ctr)

I've been searching for half an hour now, and still can't seem to find the question about fitment that I have.

Once again: Will an apexi ws2 system or RS*R exmag system fit on my 93 sedan? Because they're all listed as "92-00 honda civic ex coupe"
Old 02-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Casinbean)

If it sounds like a bolt is rolling around in the cat - that's classic "cheap cat is going" syndrome.

You hear it all the time when people buy cheap e-bay "high flow" cats and then they go out real fast. Would be pretty far from the first time I've heard a Honda/Acura with that sound.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:18 AM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Yeah, but I don't have a cat that's the thing. Nobody wants to answer my fitment question either. It's bringin me down
Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 AM

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats weird. I would say its absolutely a heat sheild, more specifically the one around your cat. But if you said you basically had the whole exhaust replaced and it still does it, i'd rule that out.

On my Integra, the rattle was actually coming from a loose and rusted out bolt on the header heat sheild. So once I popped that off..everything was good. Basically get under the car and take a gander. If theres any heat sheilds left on at all, definitely take those off.

And you could always, which I think you should do either way....take the car to a different exhaust shop/mechanic than the previous time. He may be able to diagnose whats causing the rattle without replacing your cat, and obviously saving you a decent chunk of dough.

And if all else fails...I'd also do Vestas idea and go purchase a cat, with what the muffler guy said there could still be some bullsiht sitting inside the pipe. Why? I have no idea, but who knows haha. Ideally you'd want to have a cat on there either way unless you're going the horsepower route and even then they have high flow cats to counteract the bottleneck problem. But anyways yeah, throw a cat on there and see what happens. Also have the exhaust guy save the part he removed for the cat, and take a look inside of it. Also, while its up on the lift w/ the new cat...ask the mechanic if he see's anything abnormal that could be causing the rattle. So this way he doesnt send you home with a new cat, but the same rattle he would have overlooked if you didn't tell him specifically to look for anything that could cause a rattle.

I hate when threads like this are never updated with the outcome, so deeeeefinitely let us know even if its 4 months from now...what ended up being the problem. You may not think so, but some people actually DO care if you resolve the problem or not, haha. Good luck man!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Problem solved. It ended up being the pipe coming from the engine to the cat (downpipe i believe). He said it was a "double walled pipe, and the inner wall had come loose and was rolling and bouncing everywhere." He fixed that, put on a resonator, and the sound is fine now.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions