Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Alarms? civic owners u got good ones?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 08:00 PM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarms? civic owners u got good ones?

since my car got stolen, its time to upgrade to a great alarm along with lo jack.
what kind of alarms are out there.

and i was wondering if any local NJ/PA people know a good place for the install........meaning trustworthy, i don't want them knowing how to disable the alarm and taking my car.

Proximity sensors? yes or no?
im going to have to add power locks on my CX if i want the keyless entry feature right? are there kits that will add that?

i need something for the hood and trunk, also anything touching the window or door handle.

and a PAGER! so i know when to run back to the car and destroy the theif or animal touching the car.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alarms? civic owners u got good ones? (BoM)

You should probally check the auto/security forums. I have the clifford RS3, really nice alarm. It has a pager with a LCD screen for the transmitter. So if your in your house, or anywhere within a couple hundred feet, the pager will let you know if the alarm went off. The only draw back is that you won't find a shop that will hook up the remote start feature on a 5 speed. I hooked mine up myself, so I bypassed the clutch to get the RS feature to work. But I work in an install bay.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:44 PM

I've got a Clifford. The remote start on it is digital and designed for a manual but I haven't hooked mine up yet. Still need to wire up the windows and moonroof also. Just the basics now, pins and magnetic switches everywhere. Proximity, motion, tilt, shock, temp sensor, remote headlights, all the goodies. Got a few other anti theft goodies I don't want to mention. Also use an Autolock and sometimes a club also. I'm always within hearing distance of it and really watch where I park. I also carry a Glock .45 subcompact at all times.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

my advice is that you don't get a proximity one on your car because it will beep when wind brushes against your car and you get so annoyed of it you don't even check it.. on the other hand standard alarms don't go off if someone pops your trunk open and if you have to move the car pretty good for the alarm to go off. it's up to you, there's plenty of options
Old 04-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

On my hatch I have the 550 esp with remote start and power locks. I recommend you get any DEI products, but i plan on upgrading mine to the 790 xv which includes a pager. I also have an autolock and i plan on getting proxy sensors (maybe), wheel locks,mercury tilt,couple kill switches. This wont guarentee protection to your car but something is better than nothing right? All this is a deterrant, and will stop some thieves, unless they REALLY want it and if they're a pro at it they'll get it. But do what you gotta do to protect your car.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (prendi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prendi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my advice is that you don't get a proximity one on your car because it will beep when wind brushes against your car and you get so annoyed of it you don't even check it.. on the other hand standard alarms don't go off if someone pops your trunk open and if you have to move the car pretty good for the alarm to go off. it's up to you, there's plenty of options</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, plus your neighbors would hate to hear it go off every other hour when someone walking their dog walks by it....just get a good one, get a club, get two kill switches, put it in a garage and take out your ECU nightly and that bitch wont go anywhere.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:24 PM

Default Re: (BlackNoise)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackNoise &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree, plus your neighbors would hate to hear it go off every other hour when someone walking their dog walks by it....just get a good one, get a club, get two kill switches, put it in a garage and take out your ECU nightly and that bitch wont go anywhere.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah and remember to take the wheels off to. lol J/K BlackNoise

When Im on the road the cap ,wires and ecu go where I go.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:25 PM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackNoise)

is there any way of setting the sensitivity of these proxy sensors...cause yeah, buses can set off alarms with ease....

is this something that anybody can install? the electrical things i've installed are, headunits, sub, amp, gauges. easy stuff.

any nice sites i can read up on features to look for. thanks for all the inputs guys...i see that the pager is really popular.

i dont' know why it wasn't out forever. why have an alarm when u don't know when it goes off.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chris408)

Get a Clifford Intelliguard series or a Clifford Avantguard 4. As far as protection, you can't beat those. The alarm shop guy told me that even if the thief finds the brain, he still won't be able to start your car. If you want a pager, get a DEI 795W add on pager. I have a Clifford Intelliguard 9000 with a DEI 795W pager, tilt sensors, and SmartSiren 4. Basically, the only way a thief can steal a car with my setup is if he has a tow truck. But the tilt sensor will set off the alarm if the car is put on a tow truck and it will page you if you have an add on pager, provided that you are in range. If you park in a parking structure, your range will be very limited unless you park on the top level.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RangerDan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RangerDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah and remember to take the wheels off to. lol J/K BlackNoise

When Im on the road the cap ,wires and ecu go where I go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's all good...I was exagerating the fact of how far some have to go now because of how bad theft has gotten....really the bottom line is if they want it there isn't much you can do to keep it from them.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:35 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Alarms? civic owners u got good ones? (BoM)

The proximity sensors have sensitivity settings, just find where you want it and leave it. Mine never goes off with wind but will go off if you walk past it too close or stand by the door. It ALMOST never falses, and I've had the alarm for 2 or 3 years. Good ****. I'd rather not say what the brand is. Gone this long without getting jacked.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alarms? civic owners u got good ones? (SkyeC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The proximity sensors have sensitivity settings, just find where you want it and leave it. Mine never goes off with wind but will go off if you walk past it too close or stand by the door. It ALMOST never falses, and I've had the alarm for 2 or 3 years. Good ****. I'd rather not say what the brand is. Gone this long without getting jacked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not all proximity ones do. i bet your paid a pretty good amount of $ for yours.

i was bein a lil sarcastic about the wind making the alarm go off.. but he knows what i mean. very little things will make your alarm beep, outside of your car and with your remote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:04 PM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alarms? civic owners u got good ones? (prendi)

okay so i didn't sleep much tonite. doing some archive searching..

i've come to the conclusion im going to have to spend a good lump of money to have a little bit piece of mind.

lojack, viper highend pager alarm, fuel kill switch, starter kill switch, battery kill switch, and a club, and maybe u know the occasional remove the ECU and remove the ignition wires.

and i gotta paint the intercooler black

the thing is this low jack cost 600 bucks installed just for the low jack tracking device? because i know that they offer their own alarm system and then the tracking device. Why does it cost soo much just for the tracking device.