Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Adjustable ball joint vs. Adjustable anchor bolts - SPC camber kit debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable ball joint vs. Adjustable anchor bolts - SPC camber kit debate

After reading another skunk2 front camber kit horror story last night I have decided that I will sell my brand new skunk2 that is sitting in my room waiting to be installed. The problem with skunk2 front camber kits is in the ball joint and the rubber piece that covers the ball joint. The rubber ball joint cover seems to tear after several months of use which allows dirt and other debris into the ball joint which ruins the kit. Since this thread is not about the skunk2 camber kit, I'll get to the point now.

Which SPC camber kit should one go with for a daily driver / occasional drag car?
SPC makes 2 different type kits for the 92-95 Civic which can be seen below. Then once you decide on either the adjustable ball joints or the anchor bolts you have to decide if you want 0-1.5 degrees of adjustment or 1.5-3.0 degrees.

1) Adjustable ball joints or anchor bolts?
2) 1.5 degrees or up to 3 degrees?
3) Does SPC have a web site?

I haven't lowered the car yet. But, I am 99.9% that I am getting Tein SS (DC2 spring rates) and looking at a 1 to 2 finger once I drop her on the Rota's.

Which kit?

Part Id 84945
Adjustment Range(degrees) Up to 1.5
Price: $120 shipped

Description: These extended range upper control arm anchor bolts are a must if you have lowered your car for performance or need to align a stock vehicle.
Note: Kit will fit the front or rear of 92-96 Preludes. Kit will fit only the rear of 97-01 Preludes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part Id 84955
Adjustment Range(degrees) 1.5-3.0
Price shipped: $130

Description These extended range upper control arm anchor bolts are a must if you have lowered your car for performance or need to align a stock vehicle.
Note: Kit will fit the front or rear of 92-96 Preludes. Kit will fit only the rear of 97-01 Preludes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part Id 67135
Adjustment Range(degrees) Up To 1.5

Description These adjustable upper ball joints make front camber adjustments on later model Hondas and Acuras. By replacing the factory ball joint, this sliding ball joint allows for greater camber changes than previously available. Incorporating an OE quality replacement ball joint, this sliding plate assembly is perfect for vehicles that have been lowered for performance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part Id 67330
Adjustment Range(degrees) 1.5-3.0
Price shipped: $169

Description These adjustable upper ball joints make front camber adjustments on later model Hondas and Acuras. By replacing the factory ball joint, this sliding ball joint allows for greater camber changes than previously available. Incorporating an OE quality replacement ball joint, this sliding plate assembly is perfect for vehicles that have been lowered for performance.

Skunk2 stories:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=558493
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=571666
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=346142
Old 07-29-2003, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfortunatly I can't add much to this discussion at this point, but I am looking into geting something to correct my camber issues soon. I would like to hear opinions on what camber kits people are actually using successfully and what the pro's and con's of each one are.

has anyone tried this method http://home.earthlink.net/~civ....html
Old 07-29-2003, 08:08 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Adjustable ball joint vs. Adjustable anchor bolts - SPC camber kit debate (Hybrid93Hatch)

I do alignments a lot, and I can tell you that 3 degree knuckles and balljoints SUCK.

Why?

Because once you turn them almost all the way out or full out the upper control arms and/or balljoints themselves will hit the fenders/unibody.

I have Skunk2 upper A-Arms and have had them for almost 2 years now.

Got any links to those horror stories? I've heard about upper balljoints crapping out, but I've not seen it yet.

As far as upper "knuckle" kits go, the 1.5 degree ones are awesome. Had them on my girl's car for 3 years now and they just now have started squeaking on the right side.

Unless you're really slamming the **** out of your car I doubt you'll even need over 1.5 degrees of adjustablilty.

Honda allows a full negative 1 degree up front and a full negative 1.3 degrees before it is "out of spec" so you'd need over FOUR degrees of negative camber to need a 3 degree kit.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adjustable ball joint vs. Adjustable anchor bolts - SPC camber kit debate (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do alignments a lot, and I can tell you that 3 degree knuckles and balljoints SUCK.

Why?

Because once you turn them almost all the way out or full out the upper control arms and/or balljoints themselves will hit the fenders/unibody.

I have Skunk2 upper A-Arms and have had them for almost 2 years now.

Got any links to those horror stories? I've heard about upper balljoints crapping out, but I've not seen it yet.[/b]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just above my sig in the top post are a few stories about the A-arm skunk kits. I do remember that skunk was suppose to upgrade the ball joints and the rubber covering because numerous people had theirs fail on them. I was one of them, but did not notice the failure until I replaced the stock suspension on the car.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as upper "knuckle" kits go, the 1.5 degree ones are awesome. Had them on my girl's car for 3 years now and they just now have started squeaking on the right side.

Unless you're really slamming the **** out of your car I doubt you'll even need over 1.5 degrees of adjustablilty.

Honda allows a full negative 1 degree up front and a full negative 1.3 degrees before it is "out of spec" so you'd need over FOUR degrees of negative camber to need a 3 degree kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't know that the OEM camber could be adjusted a degree. How exactly is this done? I've seen the front of Honda's suspension a few times and never really noticed / heard that it could be adjusted at all. I'm not going for a slammed look. Probably a one - two finger gap all around on Tein SS.

If I can figure out if the skunk2 kit I have is the newer (better) type ball joints then I'm up for keeping it. I never had clearance problems or squeeking with my old kit. And the ease of adjustment doesn't get any easier with the skunk2 A-arms. Would you happen to know how to tell the difference between the old and new skunk2 balljoints?

PhucNguyen57 That camber correction for the rear gets Inexspensive, reliable, simple
PS &lt;&gt; I recommend you skip the Home Depot bolts and go to Pep Boys and get the 10 grade automotive bolts.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adjustable ball joint vs. Adjustable anchor bolts - SPC camber kit debate (Hybrid93Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I didn't know that the OEM camber could be adjusted a degree. How exactly is this done? I've seen the front of Honda's suspension a few times and never really noticed / heard that it could be adjusted at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

He's not saying that the suspension is adjustable, he's saying it can be off by 1 degree before it's a "problem" that needs camber correction.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adjustable ball joint vs. Adjustable anchor bolts - SPC camber kit debate (CXHatchback)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CXHatchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He's not saying that the suspension is adjustable, he's saying it can be off by 1 degree before it's a "problem" that needs camber correction.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got it. I don't know what the hell I was reading / thinking. It's early
Old 07-30-2003, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill vouch for SPC products though. I have their camber kit on the front and back and Ive never had a problem. The dude that did my alignment said that they were really easy to work with too.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adjustable ball joint vs. Adjustable anchor bolts - SPC camber kit debate (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ill vouch for SPC products though. I have their camber kit on the front and back and Ive never had a problem. The dude that did my alignment said that they were really easy to work with too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whick kit are you running ball joint or anchor bolts?
Old 07-30-2003, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i always thought the 5th gen and 6th gen front arms were a bit different and thus the first camber kit you posted was for 5th gens and the ball joints were for the 6th gens
I have the balljoints but yet to put them in!!!

also i might add you adjustment numbers are wrong
its + or -1.5 degrees
Old 07-30-2003, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Whick kit are you running ball joint or anchor bolts?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well Im running their stuff on my 2k civic so in my application it replaces the whole arm in the front but they are top quality hance the vouch.

edit: this would be the one
Old 07-30-2003, 05:24 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Adjustable ball joint vs. Adjustable anchor bolts - SPC camber kit debate (CXHatchback)

Yeah I mean that you can have up to a full -1 and -1.3 of camber nefore Honda considers it in need of fixing.

I run -1 and -1.3 on my own civic and I wear my Azenis 100% evenly. Actually I wear the outside edges a bit more than the rest of the tire from hard cornering.

If you run the max allowable camber then you run a much less chance of tires scrubbing, and you'll get better handling.

Also remember this:

Any time you correct or change your camber or ride height, you can dramatically throw your toe off which can actually be dangerous if the results are extreme.

Example?

Kid lowers car at home.

Kid brings car to my shop and I tell him to get a camber kit.

Kid installs kit turned full out to correct camber.

When I do the alignment the toe up front is off by 2 and even 3 whole degrees PER SIDE, which could cause an accident if he hits uneven road or a water puddle.

Remember that before you go installing a camber kit with no plans for an alignment soon after.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adjustable ball joint vs. Adjustable anchor bolts - SPC camber kit debate (monicle)

Are these the SPC pieces?
Old 07-30-2003, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this all the info people have on camber kits? IT seems like the content of this thread seems a little low. I would assume that there are more options and preferences than the ones listed so far.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PhucNguyen57)

Well i have a 97 civic, and the only offerings for my car are the entire upper arms which allow adjustment of camber and caster. I'll be purchasing these tonight as i found a great deal.

I'll do a full write up when i install them. Anyne currently run them? What is everyone's feelings on them?
Old 07-31-2003, 10:32 PM

bump for this one as I am wondering the same thing... Glad I didn't fork over the money for the Skunk2s yet. What about Sprint's kit with the control arm replacement in the front? Any experiencees?
Old 08-02-2003, 10:09 PM

Default Re: (PhucNguyen57)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhucNguyen57 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">has anyone tried this method http://home.earthlink.net/~civ....html</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does that really work for the rear? Ok well what I mean is will it last and is it really a smart thing to do or should you just buy a rear camber kit.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the SPC BJ's on my Accord and the boots cracked in about 2 WEEKS, no ****. I have spoken w/SPC "tech support" and he said it was a release agent used in molding the boots. I asked if they would warranty the joints from a failure of the boots and he said..."I guess.." The guy at NTB who aligned my car showed me a printout (could've faked it ,I guess) that shows my car in spec. but big-time tire noise when turning left . Oh, well...I'm selling the old girl for hatch seed money. Have new Skunk 2's for the EG, hope they dont F up. I'd rather fab. a new plate and install some aftermarket BJ's in the Skunks in case of failure than Dick around with those big-*** SPC ball joints anymore. They're hella expensive and don't appear to be of very good quality even aside from the boots.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adjustable ball joint vs. Adjustable anchor bolts - SPC camber kit debate (B and B)

I have the skunk2 and think they are great. I would just take the precautions of buying polyurethane covers for the ball joints as well as putting more grease. it is true that the rubber boot covers rip easily
Old 08-03-2003, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adjustable ball joint vs. Adjustable anchor bolts - SPC camber kit debate (Got Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Got Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the skunk2 and think they are great. I would just take the precautions of buying polyurethane covers for the ball joints as well as putting more grease. it is true that the rubber boot covers rip easily</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you give some info on where I can get the polyurethane boot covers and about how much a pair would cost? Thanks!
Old 08-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Energy Suspension makes some, these guys are where I got my Master Set...

http://www.suspension.com/civic.htm
Old 08-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adjustable ball joint vs. Adjustable anchor bolts - SPC camber kit debate (B and B)

So once you have these poly boot covers, is the Junk2 camber kit is worth gettin? I like that camber kit but it seems as if I hear both sids of the story.....some love it and others hate it...I cant decide.....