Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ack removed the tranny without taking off the shift linkage and the linkage came out of the hangar!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ack removed the tranny without taking off the shift linkage and the linkage came out of the hangar!

I couldnt get the 2 12mm bolts out of the hangar to drop the shifter....i had to drop the tranny to fix my main seal cause it was leaking BAD

anyways after we took the tranny we set it on a few pieces of wood to lessen the strain on the shift linkage to the shifter.....only problem is that the upper shift linkage came out of the hangar on the shifter....how do i get it back in?

i grabbed a pic from the short shifter install guide to show what im talking about

the black metal piece that goes in between the red hangar...mines not red but yeah whatever im sure you guys know what i mean

i was thinking i crush the end of it....shove it through then split it again like in the pic

any other ideas?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:17 AM

just remove the shift linkage from the other side(where connect to the tranny) a bolt and a pin to remove the shift linkage from the tranny and you can do what ever you want to the transmission.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ack removed the tranny without taking off the shift linkage and the linkage came out of the hang

yeah that bitch pin is a hell
so hard to remove..u have to bang it out so hard..
Old 08-08-2007, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just bend the end of the linkage to slide it back into the bushing. then open it back up.... when you remove that pin, do what we all do, and replace it with a bolt and nut so you can get it off easier next time. cause banging it out from under a car ******* sucks
Old 08-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (gsxr1k05)

I seriously think if you can't get that pin out on the linkage, you should NOT work on your car anymore.

It is so easy, just go to the auto parts store, buy a set of drift punches, and use it.

OR use a bolt that holds on the AC compressor (perfect size) and a hammer and beat that bitch out.

I get mine out in like 5 whacks with a hammer/punch every single time.

Damn, just find something small enough to fit through the linkage and hit it with a hammer. This is not rocket surgery.

pussies!!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:48 AM
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: (mike1114)

Air Hammer = bitch pin out in 3 seconds.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (JDM_Ej)

take off the center console, the 2 bolts that hold that bushing and black piece are underneath it
Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 AM
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: (speedooo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedooo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take off the center console, the 2 bolts that hold that bushing and black piece are underneath it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, but you have to remove them from under the car. 2 12mm bolts.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I seriously think if you can't get that pin out on the linkage, you should NOT work on your car anymore.

It is so easy, just go to the auto parts store, buy a set of drift punches, and use it.

OR use a bolt that holds on the AC compressor (perfect size) and a hammer and beat that bitch out.

I get mine out in like 5 whacks with a hammer/punch every single time.

Damn, just find something small enough to fit through the linkage and hit it with a hammer. This is not rocket surgery.

pussies!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Holly hell not sure why everyone bitches about taking these out it really is quite easy even up here in the rust belt. I have even done the bolt trick dropping one in a junk yard using a rock as a hammer took all of 30 seconds
Old 08-08-2007, 08:59 AM

Just pull those two bolts out and put the bushing on the end of the shifter, then when you put the tranny back in...put the 2 bolts back in..................Don't be bashful, I'm a thermo-nuclear bigenetic scientist
Old 08-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dagimp415)

i cant get the 2 12 mm out i think they are stripped

i was loosening one of them then it start getting harder to turn and i said fug it and didnt want to break it

otherwise i woulda dropped the shift linkage from the shifter no problem

so i crimp the end of that shift linkage and shove it through and spread it back out?

what are these nuts and bolts your talking about to replace it?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This is not rocket surgery.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rocket surgery?? That must be new.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smileycvc)

erm btw i have no problem moving the tranny about its that the shift linkage came out of the hangar in the pic and i donohow to get it back on thats what i was asking about
Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (preludedriva)

He wasn't talking about the bitch pin. He was talking about sliding that damn bushing back on. It's hard since it's split at the end. I too was frustrated when I had to install my ES bushings. Tons of wiggling and moving around and it will finally slide in. If it were me I'd just crush the end and slide it on. I don't even see a point as to why even split it again.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

yeah thats all i needed to know thats what i was gonna do crush the end slide it then split it again
i wasnt sure if there was any thing else that was supposed to hold it in place thats all

makes thing better knowing it can be fixed lol
Old 08-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there anyhting that holds the linkage into the bushing? or is it the splitting at the end of it that holds it in?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope. The end of the shift linkage just slides into the bushing, and the bushing is bolted to the frame as you see in the pic.