Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'99 EX (D16Y8) burning oil, pulley and short shifter Q's too...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 EX (D16Y8) burning oil, pulley and short shifter Q's too...

Hello all, I've got a few questions that I've been curious about.

[Q1. I've got a '99 Civic EX with the D16Y8 engine as stated in the title, and every month or so I have to add about a half quart of oil to keep it full. When I add the half quart, the reading on the dipstick is right inbetween the low mark and the high mark. I just bought the car about three months ago with 116k on it and drive in the city 90% of the time, and it has a manual tranny if that makes a difference.

My question is: should my Civic be using this much oil or should I get it compression tested to check for leaks in the cylinder/head? Or is there a better way to test this? It's too cold outside to try and determine it by myself.]

[Q2. During the summer I heard a rhythmic squeaking sound under the hood while idling. I stuck my head down there to see where the sound was coming from, and it was coming from the lower pulley on the engine that the serpentine belt is connected to. Now, just a couple days ago, it's been freezing overnight and snowing and when I started my car up in the morning, the pulley began making a loud screeching sound and proceeded to voice its angry protest for the rest of the day, even after driving for over an hour straight.

My question is: Is the pulley I'm referring to the Crankshaft pulley? Is this something that's relatively inexpensive to fix ($xx) and should I get it taken of as soon as possible? I noticed it was moving left and right a little bit while it was spining... I'm assuming that isn't normal.]

[Q3. One last thing is that I bought a short shifter on ebay - one of those inexpensive (cheap?) aluminum ones - does it really make that much of a difference, or can I put off installing it until spring when it's warm outside again?]

I realize that's a lot of questions to stick into one thread... but if you can give your two cents on anything you know more about than I do I'd appreciate it!

Modified by sircanegiem at 11:28 AM 12/3/2007
Old 12-03-2007, 02:07 AM
Trial User

Default Re: '99 EX (D16Y8) burning oil, pulley and short shifter Q's too... (sircanegiem)

q1. no it should not be burning oil. do a compression test. and a leak down test.

q2. dont kno which belt youre talking about, but usually its cause the belt is too loose. check the tension on it and tighten it to specs. make sure the belt is not damage either. replace if you have to.

q3. depends on which, it does shorten the throw. its all on preference. driving with stock shifter is fine.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:33 AM
New User

Default Re: '99 EX (ek4shizzle)

I called one of the mechanics I go to and asked about both of those tests, and he told me that it wouldn't help to do a compression or leakdown test because it wouldn't test the oil rings or something... which surprised me because all the places I've read too have suggested to do both of those tests. Is there any truth to this?

I did make sure, too, that the belt was tightened; it -feels- like it's snug, but I could be wrong - if it was loose though, would it only make noise with one pulley?