Notices
For Sale General Classifieds For Sale

99 D16Y8 MOTOR AND TRANS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS:99 D16Y8 MOTOR AND TRANS

This d16y8 has some issues. The problems started 3 weeks ago when I noticed a faint tapping sound only when I accelerated. I was like...wtf? I am not sure how long it was doing that. You see, I am always listening to music while I drive and I have a very loud stereo system in my car so I've never really heard it(the motor) while I was driving. It just so happens one day I left the face to my radio at home by accident. So on my way to work I heard the tapping. As I was driving, I also noticed my oil light would flicker for a split second when I was braking...But not everytime. Again...I am like...wtf? So I stop and check the oil level...I am low by 2 quarts... Yet, I have seen no leaks...and my car had 0 smoke...ever. I drive to the nearest auto parts store and pick up a few quarts of oil...put it in and head to work. The oil light stops flickering... ...or so I thought. I still had to get to work, but after work I stopped by mechanic. There was no oil leak when I left my job. I get to my mechanic but he tells me I would have to drop my car off so he could find out what was wrong. Unfortunately, it would be a week before he would have the time to look at it. Note: My car still drove like it always has...no power losses..no smoke...no evidence of leaks...nothing that would let me know of any problems...except for the tapping and the missing oil... I still have things to do and my car is my only mode of transportation...So the 3 days later I have to make a drive to Philadelphia about a 1 hour 20 minute drive. I get half way there, on the highway doing 70 mph, and I hear a 'clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk' then my oil light comes on then my car shuts off... Good thing I was in the far right lane and by a rest stop. I coast into the rest stop while trying to get to my car back running...she would start 'clunk, clunk, clunk,clunk...then cut off' I managed to get her right by the service station. I get out and check the oil...nowhere near the level it should be. I purchase some oil put it in. But she would start then immediately die. I am like...damn...damn...damn...So I realize AAA is the next step. That process in itself was a pain in the ***. So its been an hour since I put the oil in. I decide to start her up...clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk...and stayed running but...clunk, clunk,...One of the mechanics said it sounded like I blew a rod...I turn the car off and leave it off.

The motor is still in my car and I have yet to find out exactly what the problem is. I have already secured a replacement motor which will be installed next week. I won't know the issues with the old motor until then.

Everything from this motor is up for sale including the transmission. The trans does have a slight grind in 3rd gear when shifting fast at high rpms(6k and up). As soon as I get more info on the motor, I will post it up. I am letting everything go for very cheap...and I will ship...this includes trans, head, block, intake manifold, exhaust manifold....everything for deeply discounted rates via FedEx. As an example of how cheap...Transmission...$100shipped

Let me know what part you are interested in and name a price.

Here is a pic of the motor still in my car:

Modified by nwkrep82 at 10:28 AM 6/15/2005
Old 06-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FS:99 D16Y8 MOTOR AND TRANS (nwkrep82)

ttt
Old 06-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got dibs on intake manifold....are you parting out the harness too?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (specv5150)

pm on the head
Old 07-12-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: (subydoored)

I want the complete changeover