Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civic lx daily driver exhaust advice plz...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 civic lx daily driver exhaust advice plz...

hello all...what few times i've posted have been in the accord forums...tonight was with my wife in her civic and seemed louder and after a week of 10-20 degree weather..but was driving tonight and felt a shudder and then the dragging of exhaust to pavement and loudness..luckily wasnt goin fast and pulled into mall parking...upon inspection..

the longer pipe from the cat up to the front of the car either broke off rusted off and was hanging to the ground still firmly attatched at the cat back and muffler area...and other than brakes and oil changes dont think its a project for me...

so hopefully some advice if i get it to a tuff,monroe any guestimates on what their going to say to fix?...most serious work done at dealers..but tomorrow is sunday...and broke after the holidays...and never having exhaust issues before dont want to be ripped off of having them replace it all to get it back up and running if i dont need to...

tks in advance for any for anyone thats had exhuast replaced by any type of shop like these with any insight to cost..
Old 01-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 civic lx daily driver exhaust advice plz...

If you're referring to the downpipe like I think you are it's a really, really easy fix. All you need is a downpipe from a junkyard (it would have to match her year civic and engine). there are 3 bolts holding it to the cat converter on the bottom and 3 bolts on the top holding it to the exhaust manifold.

Can you get a picture of it just to verify? If it is the downpipe I would strongly recommend not taking it to a dealer and just doing it yourself. It's really full-proof and they will ream you for it. Just my $0.02
Old 01-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont take it to a dealership.
if anything, you could take it to a muffler shop for them to re-weld it back on.

i just had some of my piping cut and re-done for $50..
just call around and ask to see how much it would cost to re-weld some piping. =p
goodluck
Old 01-18-2009, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tks for the replies...it was dark and about 10 degrees...so was going back up today to either wire it up and drive it home or have aaa tow it somewhere so i couldnt make out the extent if it broke/snapped or what really happened...i wasnt going to go to the dealership..more along the lines of like tuffy,monroe or midas.....and didnt know how bad those type of places would try and ream me too,or which of those were best to deal with.

may deal with it and just drive it back(sorry neighbors!)...and if so i'll try and get a pix uploaded in a few...read around last night and sounded like the worst was just getting the bolts broke free...but wouldve liked to have this done today and letting her take the accord to church this morning and i'll deal with it this afternoon....just never had any exhaust issues before...and read last night anywheres from 150-700 dollars from horror stories on the net...lol...will try and get picture up...tks for the replies
Old 01-18-2009, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and if i do take it to one of those type places today...due to being cold and lazy...are they going to want to replace it all....or will they be cool and just fix and well it back together or replace the pipe from the cat to the manny?.....just hate dealing with stuff i've never had issues with...and read only replace whats got holes or rusted through...or will they give me some load that the entire exhaust be replaced...i know its just speculation...but tks again for any help..will try and get the pix up before i do anything...have a good day
Old 01-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm a little confused here, you say from the cat to the manifold, now normally that would make sense, but the cat is part of the manifold on a D16Y7, it can also make exhaust work very expensive very fast.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry not that familiar with exhausts...still waiting to go get it..it was dark...from the cat goin to the front was the longer pipe had like a oval shaped lump to it going to the front of the car...thats where it was hanging down from towards the motor still up in the back firmly from the cat back to the muffler...still hoping to get pix up...everywheres closed around here today cept firestone.....so will wait and have a look at it better in a few...ty for ur replies...