Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need some exhaust ideas for my civic...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need some exhaust ideas for my civic...

First off, I do not care about hp gain/loss, but do want to increase fuel economy.

so here's the story...
last week we had a bunch of snow and I did some driving on some logging roads in the mountains, and did a lot of scraping of my exhaust in the snow/ice and then a couple days later my pipe directly behind the catalytic converter started to break, and hung down super low after the hangers came loose. I re-hung the exhaust and then today the cat broke off completely from the rear exhaust section and hung down again. so I took off the cat and was planning on taking the broken section and mount (to the cat) off but its incredibly rusted/worn down and I can't get the bolts off at the moment.

I wanted to replace the cat with a straight pipe as an effort to boost fuel economy, but it seems I ought to replace the exhaust pipes as well, but I can't stand and don't want or need a ricer exhaust, but on ebay you can get a full cat-back exhaust for $115 shipped...

I need some opinions on the idea of getting one of these exhausts, cut the egay muffler off and have a real muffler welded on, and running that straight pipe... I am good on emissions for now, so that is not a big deal, and I have a VX engine I will be swapping in, so I really really don't care about hp gains, just fuel efficiency.

Any comments are appreciated but please don't ask why I am doing this swap, it is a cheap/crappy car I just want to get amazing fuel economy in.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need some exhaust ideas for my civic...

nevermind, just spent $110 having a muffler shop fix it...