Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98CivicDX , Friend Milled Head, Now telling Plugs are Crossthreaded

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98CivicDX , Friend Milled Head, Now telling Plugs are Crossthreaded

Hey guys posted a while back about my HG replacement.

Well in the end I had a friend do the job for me (mistake....). And as i mentioned when he took the head off he noticed that the head was slightly warped so i forked out the money to get it milled ($110, i think it should've been a little less, but iwas in hurrry to finish project.)

Anyways now as the project is coming to a completion, my friend is telling me that the spark plugs are all cross threaded (which i kinda doubt, I think more probable is the overheating, warping and whatnot has made them stuck.) So now this ***** is telling me I should go ahead and get a new head.......After paying to get mine milled (not happy at all.)

This pisses me off a little because I could have basically bought a new head off ebay for around 120 (D16y7 shipping included, highly rated seller). Instead of paying 110 to get a crossthreaded head milled.

Anyways I was wondering do you guys usuallly taking the plugs out prior to getting a head milled? I"m just stumped, because it seems like a obvious move to me. I know you could leave them in, but It just seems like good sense to have taken them out, since there's going to be metal shavings and whatnot everywhere, and just as a precautionary check?

I dont know. I told him to just put the **** together, and when the plugs go I'm just going put the head on myself. It'll be a little bit of a trial by fire, but I feel like I've read loads of info here, and other forums, have a haynes manual. And I gotta start somewhere.

Sorry bout the long post. But am I right in being a little pissed? And btw, you think the ebay head with a highly rated seller is a safe bet? I know yall warn about certain ebay parts.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 98CivicDX , Friend Milled Head, Now telling Plugs are Crossthreaded

I've always taken my plugs out before I send it to the machine shop, even if I'm getting it resurfaced or 3 angle valve job port etc... always. Do it right the first time, it will save you time and money later down the road, don't use the old head if those threads cannot be re-tapped or just put head on. Take your loss of $110 and start over, better in the long run with less b/s

Does that new head already come ready to install, if so then yes it's a good deal but I doubt it. Check CL for a head, find them cheap everywhere!!!! Its d-series, very compatible heads