Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 EX-->LS motor?? how much trouble is this swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 EX-->LS motor?? how much trouble is this swap?

Yo, im lookin into getting an LS swap for my 98 EX. i havent seen many LS's in the EJ chassis, so if anybody has one, post pics and info you got on it. ill be goin up in HP and torque, and ill have a Bseries block which i could ls/vtec or turbo, correct? so i dont see why there arent more 96-up LS swaps..?? show em if ya got em!

my main questions are :
what ECU will be best for this particular swap?
what axles should i use?
what other b-series pieces and parts will i need while im at the salvage yard?how much should i spend on a complete LS changeover...

there is a shop here and the owner said hed sell me a complete LS changeover for around 1100-1300, does this sound about right? let me know what you think about all this jibberish and if you have any additional info. feel free to email me.
for everyone

Jp
Jpotta3@aol.com
Old 04-29-2002, 07:32 PM

Default Re: 98 EX-->LS motor?? how much trouble is this swap? (ZzzEJ8)

I'd actually go with a GSR motor. Since you're wire harness is already pinned for vtec you can use your stock harness. No sense goin no vtec. Also, if you did an LS/Vtec you couldn't run it to 8300 rpm cuz the ls block is only designed for like 7500. Also, the LS/vtecs aren't worth the trouble if you don't do internals like ITR pistons, balance the crank, forged rods, shave and port and polish the head, you also have to plug up some holes and tap others for oil and water. it can be a pain in the ***. also, if it's not done correctly, it'll leak like a seive. If you get a GSR, you can go turbo with an LS tranny specially built with an ITR final drive so you'll have boost for hella long and still have semi-close ratio gears. Or you could just go straight LS tranny and do 57mph in 1st gear. but if you use the LS tranny, you need to be usin a turbo or you won't accelerate as quick. The GSR is a really good all-motor engine and tranny. GSR with LS tranny is awesome for turbo. As far as ECU's, you'll need the GSR ecu and it will plug straight into your harness. Unless you get an aftermarket intake manifold (like the JG Edelbrock Victor X, which is frickin huge) you'll need to pin the butterfly valve on the stock intake manifold. I believe it's pin 26, but not 100%. The motor, tranny, axles, ecu and shift linkage should run anywhere between 2500-3500 plus around 1000 for install. You can do it yourself, but unless you know what you're doing, it's a bitch. You'll also need the rear and drivers side motor mounts from a 99-00 civic SI (no matter which motor you go with), you'll need to swap your lower side mounts onto the motor (just the rubber mount that actually bolts to your chassis),the GSR or LS upper and lower radiator hoses, the specific motor's throttle cable, honda manual tranny fluid (cheap and awesome ****), and all your fluids of course. That should be all you'll need. But there MIGHT be something else. It's been a while since my swap. Well, whatever you choose, good luck with it. Peace.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:54 PM

Default Re: 98 EX-->LS motor?? how much trouble is this swap? (00CIVICwB18C1)

00CIVICwB18C,1 I have some questions for you. Does the harness on the engine bay side from your '00 EX plug straight into all the sensors, etc. of the B18? Or did you have to cut and solder sensor harnesses onto the EX wiring? When you say that the ecu plugs right up, are you referring to his '98 EX? Because I know 99-00 EX's have slightly smaller ecu plugs and wiring. Did the header also bolt up to the cat without an extension? And did you have to rearrange the wires on the ecu harness, or are the wires already in the correct pins? I'm planning on get a 99+ B18C1 for my 99 EX in the summer and swapping it myself. I've been slowly working my way up doing brake swaps, supercharger, etc, so I figure swap is the next logical step . Oh yeah, can I ask where and how much you paid for your swap? Thanks

[Modified by dchu, 4:58 AM 4/30/2002]
Old 04-29-2002, 07:59 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 98 EX-->LS motor?? how much trouble is this swap? (00CIVICwB18C1)

If you get a GSR, you can go turbo with an LS tranny specially built with an ITR final drive so you'll have boost for hella long and still have semi-close ratio gears. Or you could just go straight LS tranny and do 57mph in 1st gear. but if you use the LS tranny, you need to be usin a turbo or you won't accelerate as quick.
Uhm, no. 57mph in first gear, WTF are you smoking?
If you use LS tranny, you need to be usin turbo or you won't accelerate quick? ITR final drive? - You are really confused about trannys man, the rest of you info is mostly sound though

Enough about that guy...

Anyway, LS swap for $1300 is good deal depending on year/shape of the motor. You are looking for an obd2 cangeover - this will be 96+, otherwise you are going to be buying a good deal more stuff. I found a 96 LS changeover for $1500 in incredible shape... they can be found, you just need to look hard. GSR is nice, but you're gonna probably end up paying $4000 for an OBD2 one with a motor in excellent shape if you can even find such a swap. For less than $5000 I got my swap, clutch and turbo kit and I'll run circles around naturally aspirated GSRs.

Old 04-29-2002, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 EX-->LS motor?? how much trouble is this swap? (Phantom)

hehe...I can always count of Phantom as the voice of reason!

Old 04-29-2002, 08:51 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 98 EX-->LS motor?? how much trouble is this swap? (dchu)

00CIVICwB18C1 I have some questions for you...
don't worry man, your first post is still there

also, we have a IM feature if you want info from a particular person
Old 04-29-2002, 09:27 PM

WTF? I don't know how it got posted twice but thanks for the heads up boss. I figured I'd post some questions since I have an EX too and maybe the other guy would also benefit from his answers.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:31 PM
Trial User

no worry. Also, you can click on edit post and there is a delete post option if you feel your post is unnecessary or redundant
Old 05-01-2002, 02:49 PM

Yes, 57 mph in 1st gear. The LS tranny is geared to do around 35-40 (don't know exact mph) in first gear at redline. The GSR's redline is 8300. That extra 1100 or 1200 rpm is enough to get to 57. My friend has an LS tranny on his GSR. He does 100 in second. And you can put an ITR final drive in an LS tranny and it shortens up the gears a little. Another friend of mine is in the process of doing this. So before you TRY to flame someone, YOU should know what you're talking about.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:54 PM

Well, the swap is going to be a little bit of a headache. I would recommend getting help with it. You'll have to get the distributor plug from either a GSR, 96-98 civic and repin it onto your stock harness, or possibly get the entire 99-00 SI harness. You might want to compare the SI harness to the GSR's before buying the whole SI harness. You can usually get them at a junkyard for around $150. For 99-00, the ecu side of the harness will not plug straight in. Again, you have a couple choices. You can either buy a Haynes and cut and paste the wires to a harness that does fit. Or pay King Motorsports or Place Racing 250-300 bucks to custom make you a harness jumper that makes your harness fit without cutting wires and going through the headache of figuring it out for yourself. It will take about a month or so if everything goes flawlessly with the manufacturing of it. If you do go that route, you can actually run the GSR motor on your stock ECU. You'll be faster than stock, but not nearly as fast as you should be. As for the header, get one for an Integra LS. I had to get a 2-inch extension anyway though, and the flanges will need to be aligned by a muffler shop. You may not have the extension problem though...just all depends. Anyway, I paid 3400 installed. You can call up Regulate AutoPerformance at 801-825-2828 and ask for Frank. This is in Utah, btw.