Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97ek problems, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97ek problems, please help.

Hello to all:

I am new to honda tech and have a questions maybe someone can shed some light, let me explain……

I have a 97 4dr ek

I swapped the motor to a jspec D16a, it has the y8 manifold, headers and intake, that’s it.

I am currently having these issue that I did not have before.

1. cold start rough idel, seems like it has cams and feels like its going to turn off, after 2-5 minutes idle returns to normal.

2. driving regaulary sometimes the car bogs out when shifting. For example you hit first say 2k to 4k (shift) normally it will go down to 3k. It goes to about 2.5k, feels hard on the accelerator like enot enough air, sputters, shakes and continues. After you hit 4.5 it feel as if you hit vtec,but I don’t hit vtec until 5.2, stock p28

3. while driving on the high way I get a hesistation, moving back and forth on the engine, earthquake type and you feel it hard.

4. while cord starting, after the fuel gauge goes before 1/2 tank it harder to start car, and problem persist while the tank gets more empty, the engine crranks, untill it turns on. (can this be caused by dented gas tank, dent is along the entire length of the tank)

I have checked all the sensors, all the wiring, last thing I am going to do is hook it up to hondata

Can someone please help.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Colonel Cake Mix

Default Re: 97ek problems, please help.

first off any cels?

well #1 could be your cold start valve or FITV i think thats what its called, someone correct me if im wrong.

#4 could be a fuel pump if its not priming correctly... when you turn the key you should here something turn on for a second or so and turn off, thats fuel pump, listen for it and see if it makes any weird sounds, you might just have to prime it a couple times before you turn the car on

#3 could be a the TPS going bad, or a valve cover gasket... check you plugs and see if they have oil on them
Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by acake em1
first off any cels?

well #1 could be your cold start valve or FITV i think thats what its called, someone correct me if im wrong.

#4 could be a fuel pump if its not priming correctly... when you turn the key you should here something turn on for a second or so and turn off, thats fuel pump, listen for it and see if it makes any weird sounds, you might just have to prime it a couple times before you turn the car on

#3 could be a the TPS going bad, or a valve cover gasket... check you plugs and see if they have oil on them

ill check on the valve thing, fuel pump could be i dont know yet untill i go back to the mech, and tps, that thig is brand new.

thanks for the info though.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Colonel Cake Mix

could be your iacv... there are so many different things that could cause this... so we start at the easiest to get to and the least expensive and tedious to fix and go from there.

I would def check you spark plugs though and see if they are coated in oil... mine did the same jerky type thing on the high way and my valve cover gasket was gone... replaced that it fixed it.

good luck op keep updating so we can continue to help
Old 10-26-2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by acake em1
could be your iacv... there are so many different things that could cause this... so we start at the easiest to get to and the least expensive and tedious to fix and go from there.

I would def check you spark plugs though and see if they are coated in oil... mine did the same jerky type thing on the high way and my valve cover gasket was gone... replaced that it fixed it.

good luck op keep updating so we can continue to help

i did check that, i cleaned also the tb, the plugs are were not oily, I am going today to get the plugs changed hopefully that works, my most concern is the rough idle, the mechanic is thinking its the fuel tank, when i hit something hard underneath, may have damages or preventing enough fuel to get to the engine. im buying that tomorrow as well.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you check the timing and all when it was warmed up?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by haas480
you check the timing and all when it was warmed up?
no i have not, is it recomended once you put the dizzy on by anychance? i went from non vtec to vtec, plus i had the non vtec dizzy reigged to drive it, and now I have an odb1 dizzy, shoud this be timed?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

obsolutely.
you can't change dizzys or move then around without effecting timing.
im assuming the crank to cam (timing belt) is in time, if you got the motor pre-assembled.
but def use a timing light and check it.
let the car get warm first, then ya have to jumper the two-plug clip under the dash.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:43 PM

thanks, i did not know that i make sure i speak to my mechanic about this, hopefully he did it already.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

np. let us know how you make out.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:31 PM

I will post tomorrow my time EST.