Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Honda Civic lx NO POWER

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Honda Civic lx NO POWER

tried to start up my 97 Honda Civic Lx one day and noticed I had no electrical power at all. Alarm doesn’t work, power windows radio etc. when I turn the ignition on no lights come on either. I assumed it was my battery so I bought a new battery. Still nothing

decided to check fuses. Noticed 80A battery relay was blown, replaced it. Still nothing.

pulled out my test light to check for continuity on the battery terminals, all good there. Checked battery cables. Those are good.

Checked main relay, connector is good. Circuit board on main relay looked burnt so bought a new one still nothing. Now I feel like I’m just throwing parts at it.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-04-2018, 09:53 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: 97 Honda Civic lx NO POWER

There probably was a short or overload if the battery fuse got blown.

After replacement of the battery and 80A battery fuse, does the headlights, interior lights (when opening doors), etc. work?

Old 07-05-2018, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech8
There probably was a short or overload if the battery fuse got blown.

After replacement of the battery and 80A battery fuse, does the headlights, interior lights (when opening doors), etc. work?

nope. Nothing works.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Really need some feedback guys
Old 07-05-2018, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you blew the main 80 amp battery fuse chances are there are a few other ones cooked too.
Check for voltage at the starter, the alternator, and the PCM.
Check all your fuses for continuity-replace any that went boom.
Check all your main grounds: Transmission to body, Engine to body, Battery main ground, as well as the grounds on the thermostat housing. Repair or replace any broken ones.
Then if you STILL have no power flow-start checking the grounds in the driver's and passenger's footwell areas.

If you've already done all these checks-let us know the results.

EDIT: Is the alarm factory or aftermarket? Is the vehicle stock? If no, list ALL aftermarket parts that tap into the electrical system.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by Maria V Martin

nope. Nothing works.
If nothing works, then first check whether power is getting to the under-hood fuse box.

A multi-meter/voltmeter will provide better information than just a test light though.

At cable connection T1, measure if there is battery power at this connection. This is the battery cable connection that feed power to the under-hood fuse box. Standard battery voltage is 12 volts.

If there is battery power at Connection T1, individual test each under-hood fuse to see if there is power on both sides of the fuses that are more easily accessible.

Report your results. We'll try to progress along to narrow down where the cause may be. Cause may even be at the under-hood fuse box and/or wiring.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jonsey1886
If you blew the main 80 amp battery fuse chances are there are a few other ones cooked too.
Check for voltage at the starter, the alternator, and the PCM.
Check all your fuses for continuity-replace any that went boom.
Check all your main grounds: Transmission to body, Engine to body, Battery main ground, as well as the grounds on the thermostat housing. Repair or replace any broken ones.
Then if you STILL have no power flow-start checking the grounds in the driver's and passenger's footwell areas.

If you've already done all these checks-let us know the results.

EDIT: Is the alarm factory or aftermarket? Is the vehicle stock? If no, list ALL aftermarket parts that tap into the electrical system.

ok ok I will check on all this ASAP! And alarm is aftermarket as well as radio. Everything else is all stock.

i did check and clean the main 3 grounds you mentioned. Those are good. I will check for voltage and let you know the results
Old 07-06-2018, 05:55 AM
Global Moderator

There is an open (break) in the power side (+). Part of this could be cause by a short in the power side (for example, power wire exposed and touching chassis ground or ground wire, two power wires touched, etc.)

Instead of initially checking at multiple power (+) and ground (-) points spread out all over the car, check in a systematic way. Start near the source (under-hood fuse box and battery), which is why I previously stated to check at the Connection T1 and under-hood fuses. The flow of power (+) and ground (-) starts at the battery. The flow of power (+) then goes through the under-hood fuse box to feed other circuits. One of the power feeds then goes through to the under-dash fuse box.

The car has many multiple circuits. To complete each of these circuits require of power (+) and ground (-). As there are so many separate grounds (-) for various separate circuit/components, the only way all these grounds would be affected at once would be if the battery negative cable and chassis ground in the engine compartment was bad.

Try checking systematically and follow the flow. Battery -> Underhood Fuse Box -> Underdash Fuse Box

Old 07-06-2018, 06:18 AM
Global Moderator

Other than the battery negative cable to the main ground, no other individual ground connection would cause you to lose all power to everything.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Apparently I don't read very well, since there is literally no power to anything if I am now reading correctly absolutely nothing works this means:
  1. There is no chime/interior lights on with key in ignition and driver door open
  2. Neither headlights nor parking lights work
  3. Radio/climate control fan/horn/power windows/power locks all don't work
  4. Trunk light doesn't work

If that is actually the case do what Tech8 suggested and make sure you're checking for voltage not just poking with a test light. If we are understanding wrong and ANY electronic accessories work please let us know. By "checked main relay" describe EXACTLY what you did. Also if possible take pictures of the battery & underhood fuse box if you have a camera phone & upload them here.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any update?
Old 07-20-2018, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok guys sorry for the late response. just got back from vacation. so a coworker did some trouble shooting. my starter was draining my battery. don't remember the exact words my coworker told me. but basically something about the grounding point of the positive cable that goes to the starter. I wish I could say exactly what he said. but we replaced my starter, charged up my battery and wala works. and ALSO the bumper to my brake pedal was broke so my brake lights was staying on even when the car was off. two things that kept draining my battery. smh im just glad my car is up and running now.