Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 dx ram air vs. modified air box question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 dx ram air vs. modified air box question

I have a couple of ideas for little to no cost upgrades for my hatch and I would love some feedback.

First I thought I could create a modified air box by cutting the top of my stock box and leaving it looking something like an ARC air box directly over the throttle body. This obviously would face a problem of high intake temps so I thought this could be offset by lifting the back of the hood a bit with a modified bracket. If I am not mistaken this would create a cowl induction situation and would lower the intake temp substantially. Would this option harm torque substantially? Also, would there be a risk of too much moisture (rain) entering the intake via lifted hood?

Second, and probably more realistic, would be creating some type of ram air set up using super cheap 3 inch tubing. I would have it enter the car below the passenger side headlight by cutting the bumper and adding something like a homemade velocity stack feeding the 3 inch tube. I would modify the stock air box so the tubing would enter the box in the stock location. This should reduce intake temp and increase power/fuel efficiency. I am more than willing to live with the goofy modified bumper. Would the angle be sufficient that rain would not be able to reach the air box in a significant amount?

I just want to know which would be a more realistic option for a quick weekend project to improve my daily driver. I am not interested in buying an ebay intake or any thing like that, as the whole point is to do this entire project for less than 10 bucks in my garage in one weekend. Any feedback would be hugely appreciated! Thank you.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 dx ram air vs. modified air box question

Any thoughts would be great!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

super cheap 3 in piping is gonna make your bay look super cheap

i like your stock airbox idea but i dont agree with cutting off the top of the filter box cause you cant stick a filter up there

but you can cut the entire bottom of the filter box out and have the same affect (an even better affect at hat because its sucking air from the hole where original resonator went)
Old 05-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Linked
i like your stock airbox idea but i dont agree with cutting off the top of the filter box cause you cant stick a filter up there

but you can cut the entire bottom of the filter box out and have the same affect (an even better affect at hat because its sucking air from the hole where original resonator went)
Haha, I agree, the 3 inch tubing will look bad, but I'm not worried since I am the only one looking in there and I will love her anyway.

For the air box mod I was thinking of leaving the stock filter placement. The D16y7 motor has that dumb box right on top of the vertical throttle body. I'm not sure where you would cut below that? I think if you cut below the stock filter placement we allow unfiltered air in the throttle body. I know we would remove the intake tubing and whatnot from the air box out, but on my motor that's above the stock filter on the air box.

Really appriciate the thoughts! Any more would be great!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idk about dx's

but my ej1 z6 has the intake pipe above the filter, its sucks air from the bottom
Old 05-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any body else have any ideas or thoughts? I would still really appreciate the input.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for my ?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try your idea

If you mess up >
$30 blox velocity stack 2.5in/6in
Blox 6" air filter or K&N RF-1048
$40 blox air filter
$50 ebay intake shipped ( you can find cheaper, but i would get one with a support arm that bolts to your tower )

Intake cost = $120 shipped

But look, If you sell the car, who is going to want a hacked up bumper? or some weird intake ?
Its not like you are going to dyno your car, so why keep yourself guessing if your intake works or hurts you? Or if rain can get inside??
Please, what is the point of upgrading your d series engine?

I do not think I am flaming or anything, you wanted some feedback
Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, it's cool man, I dig an honest opinion as long as you just promise not use use silly words like flame. I am upgrading it because I am never going to sell it. I'm dead broke (hence the stupid user name) and plan to completely swap and build something else "one day". I love cars and love to mess with mine. Since I don't have spare go fast parts sitting around I will do what I can for now.

The bumper is a bit messed up anyway, so it would really need to be replaced at some point. Also, you would have to look past the completely smashed quarter panel to see the little 3 inch hole in the bumper, haha.

I don't love hacking a hole in the bumper honestly, and would probably try to stick with the first option, modified air box, until I could afford a proper intake. I know 120 shipped seams cheap, and probably is. But 10 bucks is way cheaper. The intake you suggested is my favorite option for the future should I actually purchase one worth having. I love the Blox stuff.