Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic HX SRS light on and horn doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civic HX SRS light on and horn doesn't work

The srs light came on and the horn doesnt work on my gf's 97 civic 2 door hx. I was told by my mechanic that it's the clockspring/cable reel on the car. So I bought a used one from a reputable place on ebay. I replaced the clockspring but the horn still did not work. I know I would still have to reset the srs light but if the horn didnt work then it couldnt have been the clockspring unless the one I bought was also bad. Any ideas??
Old 10-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: 97 Civic HX SRS light on and horn doesn't work (blueshark123)

There is a procedure to be followed to reset the SRS light that includes a two pin jumper plug much like the one used to check OBD1 check engine codes, but I don't know the ins and outs of the procedure well enough to post them here.

It basically requires the plugging in and unplugging of the two pin connector plug to an SCS/SRS service plug while watching the SRS light flashing between, etc. My shop has an SCS plug with a toggle switch hooked up to it to make the manual method much easier.

It can be done much faster with an HDS scan tool at a Honda dealership, but they'll probably want to charge upwards of $75.00 to do so.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: 97 Civic HX SRS light on and horn doesn't work (B18C5-EH2)

BTW:

Cable reels/clock springs whatever people want to call them are one of the WORST things to buy used because they are so easily damaged/ruined.

Unless the one you got was taped up so that it could not rotate then assume it's junk already.

Also it's very important to have your steering wheel dead center when removing and installing a cable reel, or else the very first time you turn the wheel to either lock (left or right) even a brand new reel will snap!

Also have you checked the fuses yet?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why did the SRS light trip, I wonder? I'd be mostly concerned about that first. I know from first-hand experience that airbags lessen the pain and injury by quite a bit.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (p nut)

The cable reel ties into the air bag system because the power for the driver's airbag runs through it - problem with the cable reel = no power to driver's sirbag unit, and thus the triggering of the SRS light.

...but the same symptoms can also occur if there is a blown fuse too.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

B18C5-EH2, glad to see on here! wish you were on more often!
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also it's very important to have your steering wheel dead center when removing and installing a cable reel, or else the very first time you turn the wheel to either lock (left or right) even a brand new reel will snap!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is the reason my horn doesn't work either.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The cable reel ties into the air bag system because the power for the driver's airbag runs through it - problem with the cable reel = no power to driver's sirbag unit, and thus the triggering of the SRS light.

...but the same symptoms can also occur if there is a blown fuse too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 Civic HX SRS light on and horn doesn't work (B18C5-EH2)

I have checked the fuses and yes the cable reel had a wire through it to prevent it from being spun. So what you are telling me is if I would have manually turned the cable reel I could have snapped it?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your used cable reel is bad...get a new one for around $65 from the dealer and install it. When you get a new one, it comes already centered so all you do is install it as is and as soon as you install it your horn will work. The SRS light can then be reset with the method described in the post, sometimes it will reset itself after a while with the new cable reel. I had the exact same issue with my SRS light and horn and now the problem is gone...
Old 10-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, make sure your steering wheel is perfectly centered and note how things go back in to ensure the job is done right.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vrrodri)

WHAT!! 65 dollars where? I looked up on hondapartsunlimited.com and they wanted 244 for it! That's why I bought it used for 50 bucks. I'll try reinstalling it later today if it doesnt work Ill get a new one.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe your ride is not an EK hatch like mine and your reel is more expensive?Here is the link to where I got mine, and yes it came from a Honda dealer and it was new:
http://www.hondaautomotivepart...+UNIT