Browse all: Honda Accord Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Quickie; aftermarket steering wheel SRS light bypass

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quickie; aftermarket steering wheel SRS light bypass

Just thought I'd share some info on how to get rid of the srs light and keep the rest of the system functional (for those of us w/ passenger airbags or wanna get rid of the light w/o pulling the plug or disabling the system). Did it earlier, works find so far (I'll update later).

You'll need a 2ohm resistor (got mines from work, maybe radio shack has one)

You install the resistor where your old cable reel harness plugs into (flat 6-pin yellow plug), looking @ it (front-view) jump pins 1 + 3 (#2 is blank). Secure with electrical tape or whatever way you want to.

Reset your SRS light like you'd normally do (found the link in the 92+ civic FAQ, or check your service manual). PS. The MES connector is behind the console next to the CEL jumper connector (yellow 2 pin plug).

NOTE: Basically with the MES connector jumped, put the key to the on position; srs light goes out, disconnect the jumper - SRS light comes back on, reconnect the jumper - SRS light goes off again then disconnect and the light should blink 2 times if it cleared ok. Start your car and you're good (double check the procedure on how to do it tho).

I'll post a pic of the connector w/ the resisor installed later when I get home from work.

hope this helps.

-l8r
Old 04-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, the civic guys have been doing this forever, I always wanted to know if it would work on a lude....
Old 04-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mgags7)

Yeah, In my old EH's and DC, I ripped the srs out completely - This car I kinda wanted to keep it intact, atleast somewhat functional (incase of an inspection of sorts). I was gonna post a pic up, but it came out blurry - but basically to recap:
look at the flat 6-pin connector from the front (wires out the rear), the resistor goes in pins 1 and 3 (left to right), easy way to tell is that pin#2 will be empty.

Now with that being said (according to the civic diagram), the horn would be pin #6 (last one, far right). connect that wire to something that makes contact to your hub, and the horn should work (how to have it make contact is entirely up to you).

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1953235
-dem0nk1d, for posting that. the diagram in the pic is showing from the rear of the connector, not the front (so if ur looking @ the pic in that thread, imagine it reversed)

-l8r
Old 12-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Quickie; aftermarket steering wheel SRS light bypass

Originally Posted by AmauryR
Just thought I'd share some info on how to get rid of the srs light and keep the rest of the system functional (for those of us w/ passenger airbags or wanna get rid of the light w/o pulling the plug or disabling the system). Did it earlier, works find so far (I'll update later).

You'll need a 2ohm resistor (got mines from work, maybe radio shack has one)

You install the resistor where your old cable reel harness plugs into (flat 6-pin yellow plug), looking @ it (front-view) jump pins 1 + 3 (#2 is blank). Secure with electrical tape or whatever way you want to.

Reset your SRS light like you'd normally do (found the link in the 92+ civic FAQ, or check your service manual). PS. The MES connector is behind the console next to the CEL jumper connector (yellow 2 pin plug).

NOTE: Basically with the MES connector jumped, put the key to the on position; srs light goes out, disconnect the jumper - SRS light comes back on, reconnect the jumper - SRS light goes off again then disconnect and the light should blink 2 times if it cleared ok. Start your car and you're good (double check the procedure on how to do it tho).
Are the pins the same in the 95 accord