Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic Hx (coupe) - Driver Side Power Lock Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civic Hx (coupe) - Driver Side Power Lock Problems

Well I decided I would try and tackle my power lock problem today only to see once again that the previous owner had no problem cutting wires. (The radio/CC harness is even more evidence of this..) The car is a '97 Civic Hx (coupe) that the PO haphazardly installed a cheap aftermarket keyless entry. The FOB doesn't work to both lock and unlock and the door switch works intermittently so I figured I would ditch the keyless all together and hopefully reattach the cut harness wires.

When using the door switch I've noticed that sometimes it works great, sometimes it's kind of weak, and others it won't work at all. Though I do still hear the clicking from the blue control box located in the door. From searching the forum I would assume the actuator is going bad causing it to act this way but don't think I can say for sure till it's put back together properly. haha

Tracking both the green/orange and the green/white wire I've found 4 cuts.
Two on the door itself and two at a blue plug strapped to the side of the interior fuse box.

Easiest one to assess is the green/white wire which was cut just behind the back of the blue plug which I reattached to the cut g/w I saw nearest to it. Correct?

Next is the cut green/orange wire out of this same plug.

There isn't a matching wire near it from what I can see. I guess they pulled it out!? I assume this wire attaches to the matching wire I found just before the cluster of wires leaves the drivers door?

The last one is the green/white wire seen in the picture above. It is cut in the same area of the door as the green/orange shown above. It was cut and someone ran a wire from the keyless to it. I don't see a matching wire to attach it to in the door. May have also been pulled out? Do I run this wire to the g/w wire I reconnected at the blue plug?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Egriffy97HX; 02-02-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: 97 Civic Hx (coupe) - Driver Side Power Lock Problems

Well it took my morning, part of my afternoon and 1 removed door/fender but at least my wiring problem is resolved(hopefully). Turns out on top of the cut wires there were 3 wires broken off the door harness plug and 2 wires completely missing right after the plug. Here are a couple pictures of the finished product (well before I realized I didn't run the 2 new wires..).

Not the best outcome but sure beats the mess I had before. Also tested my drivers side actuator which seems to be weak. Maybe that'll be next weekends project.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was worse. Went to Pull A Part, locate civic with good unbroken wiring plug with pig tails. Cut and soldered. Fixed.

You might want to check your passenger side harness also. Mine had 1 broken wire..easy fix..
Old 02-02-2016, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your suggestion. I may just do that, especially since I have a few other parts on my list I'd like to find. That and I enjoy scrounging through junkyards to see what else I can find while there. (Was able to score a spare 12 lb HX rim for myself, that someone had taken the liberty of hidding, for only $10 last time) I just hate completely cutting and piecing together harnesses as to avoid second guessing my work should a problem arise. I may need to do both sides of the plug as I found two of the pins may have shorted across the plug via what I can only describe as charcoal looking buildup.

I do have a question though. When you fixed your wiring did you notice any differences in the number of grey indicator dots on wires? Example being the Yellow/red stripe wire had only one grey dot on the car interior side of the plug while two on the door side. Just had me a little worried. Thanks again

Last edited by Egriffy97HX; 02-03-2016 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had to Google the door harness pinout, c556 connector, for my car year. Then I match them up. So be careful of which year you get the part from. Mine was a 98 lx and I pull it from a 00 lx. Majority of the wires were exact but one or two were different color. I also had to add 1 extra wire because the donor harness was missing, empty slot, one..
I also then, compare the wires inside the door itself for color match. It took me awhile but manager to get a clean fix out of it.
From the connector inside the door, I would take a note book, draw a big squares table for each pin. Then label each pin what color wire it is. Then compare that to the pigtail from donor car. Once each wire were confirmed to match, I then match the pigtail to the wires coming from the car.
Since the connector have about 21-22pins, I separate each row of wires and temp tape them together. Ex. Row 1, 5 wires each color coded for that row. Then so on. That's how I tell what is missing or what color wire(s) are different. Donor harness will still plug up to your door fine. The wires are in correct slot, just different color coded.
https://honda-tech.com/attachments/h...cture_8367.jpg

Use that, I did. Match up, cut and solder. Clean fix and no extra wire running.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a ton. I'll do just that. The link will be very helpful. I may have a headache by the end of it but at least it will look nice & work haha. I attempted to use the schematics in my Chiltons book but it was more or less useless. Thanks again
Old 02-03-2016, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 97 Civic Hx (coupe) - Driver Side Power Lock Problems

Originally Posted by Egriffy97HX
Thanks a ton. I'll do just that. The link will be very helpful. I may have a headache by the end of it but at least it will look nice & work haha. I attempted to use the schematics in my Chiltons book but it was more or less useless. Thanks again
Looks like you're on the right track.

Google search and download the 96-00 Civic service manual, which also includes the Electrical Troubleshooting manual. There you will find detailed schematics of circuits and connectors.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice RonJ
Old 02-03-2016, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts