Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Del Sol VTEC sounds like a Subaru..... :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Del Sol VTEC sounds like a Subaru..... :(

Ok... I've check the obvious things but I haven't come across a definate problem yet.. I've checked the cap and rotor, plug wires, and changed the plugs with brand new ones... I pulled the new plugs back out after driving it and #4 looks to be running lean due to it being way lighter in color then the other 3.

I know it's got spark because when I pull the plug wire off while the car is idling, I hear it sparking... I checked the compression of the motor and it's pretty steady across the board... What else can be the problem???

I've heard possibly the head gasket and maybe the valves need to be readjusted.... What do you guys think? And yes I did do a search... TIA

Shane
Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Del Sol VTEC sounds like a Subaru..... :( (95sloweg)

yeah they are in the right order... and just curious... how can an exhaust leak make it sound like a subaru?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:06 AM

Default Re: 96 Del Sol VTEC sounds like a Subaru..... :( (RICE POLICE SIP)

what kinda subaru does it sound like..i had one and it sounded great...about the same as my first honda.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Del Sol VTEC sounds like a Subaru..... :( (delsolcharli)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delsolcharli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kinda subaru does it sound like..i had one and it sounded great...about the same as my first honda.</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you serious? LOL it sounds like it's missing... Oh and I forgot to mention that when I floor it or get the revs higher then it seems to sound fine... VTEC works fine and everything.... Maybe valve adjustment??? But what can explain the #4 plug being lighter then the rest? Lean condition obviously, but what?? TIA

Shane
Old 07-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine sounded like a wrx when it was misfiring and only running on 3 cylinders
Old 07-06-2008, 12:26 PM

Default Re: 96 Del Sol VTEC sounds like a Subaru..... :( (turbojdmhatch)

sounds like jumped timing
Old 07-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-06-2008, 01:35 PM
pm for noodz

i had the same problem,it turn out the wires for cylinder 3 and 4 were swithed,after that engine runs smooth.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Del Sol VTEC sounds like a Subaru..... :( (turboteg90)

haven't been able to swap out an the injector yet but I pulled the VC off and the timing belt was pretty loose... I'm gonna tighten it and see what happens...
Old 07-07-2008, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-07-2008, 04:22 AM

My friends civic sounded like a subaru, it just suddenly happened too. the next day he realized his oil drain plug was leaking... so he just changed the oil and made sure the plug was tight. problem fixed.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ You have go to be kidding me. A clogged up cat will make it sound real deep but normally power will not come back at higher rpms. Easiest way to determine that is disconnect the exhaust behind the cat and shine a light through it. That and you might notice black specks all over the rear side of the vehicle. Try swapping out distributors. Maybe you have a weak coil or burnt up ignitor.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delsolcharli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like jumped timing</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2

do a compression test on it. sounds like you jumped a tooth though.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Del Sol VTEC sounds like a Subaru..... :( (obuhmyuh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by obuhmyuh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

x2

do a compression test on it. sounds like you jumped a tooth though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I checked the timing and I did a comp. test... it was even across the board... the thing that gets me is that I can pull each plug wire off and it makes a difference and then I can unplug each injector plug and it also makes a difference.... That means that all 4 are getting spark and all 4 are getting fuel.... So what the hell.... LOL
Old 07-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you could have a bent valve, but that would show up on ur compression test. when u pull the plugs, does it not do anything on one cylinder? Usually you can pull one and your car will run shitty, it's when you pull one and nothing happens that you know something is wrong with that cylinder (im sure you already know that). Did you check your ignition timing, or your initial timing? I'm still gonna guess you jumped a tooth.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by obuhmyuh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you could have a bent valve, but that would show up on ur compression test. when u pull the plugs, does it not do anything on one cylinder? Usually you can pull one and your car will run shitty, it's when you pull one and nothing happens that you know something is wrong with that cylinder (im sure you already know that). Did you check your ignition timing, or your initial timing? I'm still gonna guess you jumped a tooth.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking the same thing too about the valves but the compression is fine.. And when I pull a plug wire, they all make a difference and when I unplug the injectors they also all make a difference.. I checked the cam timing and it's good I also tightened the timing belt.. The only thing I haven't done was the ignition timing... But that wouldn't make is sound like a missfire would it? Oh and they are in the right firing order too...
Old 07-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the timing belt was loose, its HIGHLY possible it jumped. if i were you, i would take the belt off and set my initial timing from scratch. but that's just me.

a jumped tooth, wouldn't lower compression neccessarily, usually a car wont start if its off by much, but if it did, it would exhibit symptoms like your experiencing.

the way i see it, no matter what the problem is or what your going to do, that t-belt is comin off.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:23 PM

dude you should be happy that your del sol sounds like a subaru.. now the only thing you need is to make sure it runs like a subaru
do not worry dude.. my 93 Del Sol SI sound like a subaru too.. when it goes around 75 or 80 mph and vtec kicks on!!
and guess what..!! runs even good.. that i even get surprise..
Old 07-09-2008, 08:41 PM

fast like an eagle.!!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Del Sol VTEC sounds like a Subaru..... :( (sorullo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sorullo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> fast like an eagle.!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

you guys should put your heads together and figure that **** out. it's supposed to sound like a Honda, not a Subaru. If you want a subaru go buy one haha. But a civic sounding like a wrx is almost always a cylinder head-related problem.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by obuhmyuh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But a civic sounding like a wrx is almost always a cylinder head-related problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that's what I was thinking but the compression is good is what gets me...
Old 07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had a THREAD on this.. You are MOST likely misfiring.. check your injector clips, pull off your rotor cap see if its burn and make sure your spark plugs are TIGHT... Also while your car is running pull out each plug 1 by 1 just half an inch over the spark plug and see if you can hear it arch.. this means your getting all the spark... after that.. check yeh fuel pump :D
Old 07-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Del Sol VTEC sounds like a Subaru..... :( (jdm91CrxSi)

My guess is jumped timing. Had a very similar problem, misfiring in lower rpm's and coming out of it in higher rpm's. Turns out my aftermarket cam gears were making my timing *** backwards. Oem cam gears and the problem was fixed.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:33 PM

you guys should put your heads together and figure that **** out. it's supposed to sound like a Honda, not a Subaru. If you want a subaru go buy one haha. But a civic sounding like a wrx is almost always a cylinder head-related problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude i have no problem with my car sounding like a subaru.. i have had it for 4 years already.. and everything is just fine.. compression, walves, intake, cooling system, pass emission test..and is a normal d16z6 ... well sorry you'r d15 does not sound like one....

if is sounding like a subaru is cuz probably he did a mod on it ... an intake or something..,, iif everithig is fine with your car then do not worry..honda engines does not have a specific sound.. it changes depending on the mods you have done on it..

but i" give it up for your del sol.. is nice ... you did a really good mod on it.. congratulations..

Modified by sorullo at 8:09 PM 7/11/2008