Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DEAD SOL

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEAD SOL

I have a stock 1993 Del Sol S 1.5 L. I've owned it six months and have had no problems untill a week ago. As I was pulling away from a light in rush hour traffic it just died. I had it towed home and starting doing some checks. I found it didn't have any spark. I put a new Ebay $88 distributor in it and still no spark. All fuses test good with ohm meter. After alot of cranking I notice the plugs are dry. No spark , no gas. I jumped the 2 prong grey plug with the green and brown wires behind the right kick panel and the check engine light does not blink a code.Just stays lit solid with key on and grey plug jumped. I removed the Ecu and it has a mild burnt electric smell. I didn't notice that oder in the car untill after it died. Could I have a fried Ecu or maby a wireing problem. I'm out of ideas and hate to just throw parts at it, anybody have an idea what might be wrong ????
Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: DEAD SOL

try a dif ecu.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Loby
I have a stock 1993 Del Sol S 1.5 L. I've owned it six months and have had no problems untill a week ago. As I was pulling away from a light in rush hour traffic it just died. I had it towed home and starting doing some checks. I found it didn't have any spark. I put a new Ebay $88 distributor in it and still no spark. All fuses test good with ohm meter. After alot of cranking I notice the plugs are dry. No spark , no gas. I jumped the 2 prong grey plug with the green and brown wires behind the right kick panel and the check engine light does not blink a code.Just stays lit solid with key on and grey plug jumped. I removed the Ecu and it has a mild burnt electric smell. I didn't notice that oder in the car untill after it died. Could I have a fried Ecu or maby a wireing problem. I'm out of ideas and hate to just throw parts at it, anybody have an idea what might be wrong ????
There's the problem. Try putting gas in your tank LOL jk
Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM
New User

altenator....
Old 06-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you know anyone with the same ecu, try theres and see if it works. then you don't have to buy one and if it doesn't work it rules that out
Old 06-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by 99civicsiguy
if you know anyone with the same ecu, try theres and see if it works. then you don't have to buy one and if it doesn't work it rules that out

Don't really know any one with the same kinda car. That would make it easy though. I found some used ECU's on ebay for around $100. Thats another week down and still not a sure thing. If I don't get any troubleshooting tips I'll buy a used ECU.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just throw any d series obd1 ecu in it to see it starts wont damage anything.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you turn the key to on before cranking do you here the fuel pump prime? i would put a different dizzy in, i have gotten brand new ones that are busted from the start
Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no fuel or spark? sounds like a ecu, it would be too ironic for both fuel and spark variables to go bad at the same time. I would try the ecu first then go from there. When was the last time you had a tune-up done?
Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 AM
New User

main relay?
Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there power to the dizzy? Does it have fuel pressure at the rail?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:11 AM

Yup. I did the voltage checks inside the dizzy. 12 V where it was supposed to be. I found this post during a search with some good trouble shooting tips (https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...light=ecu+test) I just cleaned the grounds at the thermostat housing. That gives similar symptoms also. They seemed OK. I was getting ready to install the ECU and decided to remove both covers. I'm pretty sure the ECU is fried. I could notice a slight burnt electric smell after my Sol broke down. That same smell was comeing from the Ecu. With covers off I can see a black spot on the green circuit board. Some soot stains where the smoke escaped, and the plastic is melted and smoke stained on the cover. I'm going to order a used ECU on ebay. That will take a week and I'll be sure and post after I get the results. Thanks for all the help.

Tim
Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 AM

Ok, I wish everything was all better but its not !00%. I purchased a used ECU and the car now starts but with the grey 2 prong plug jumped the timeing will not advance far enough. I can only get about 6 degree advance. My manual says 16. The timeing mark doesn't seem to change with the plug jumped or not. I'm also getting code 8, TDC sensor, any ideas ???
Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your running a P06 ECU Correct?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
Your running a P06 ECU Correct?

37820-P06-A01 Thats the exact part number of the ECU I removed and installed that same number.

The distributor I installed is a cheap aftermarket $88 EBAY find. I installed the stock distributor thinking I might have got a bad distributor and the original dist. has no spark. I'm back to the EBAY dist.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its probably the Ignition Coil that went bad in the Original Dizzy. Once you take the cap and rotor button off..pull the black plastic thing off and you will see the coil..it has 2 wires going to it and 2 phillips screws holds it in. But a new coil usually costs I think around 60 bucks at the auto store so if you got a new dizzy for 88bucks not bad.

I'm kinda stumped on your current problem though.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
Its probably the Ignition Coil that went bad in the Original Dizzy. Once you take the cap and rotor button off..pull the black plastic thing off and you will see the coil..it has 2 wires going to it and 2 phillips screws holds it in. But a new coil usually costs I think around 60 bucks at the auto store so if you got a new dizzy for 88bucks not bad.

I'm kinda stumped on your current problem though.
Me too, I did swap the coil and modual from the Ebay Dist into the stock dist. and still had no spark. I put the old coil and modual in the EBAY dist. just to check them and they work.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Code 8 may indicate a bad wire running between the TDC sensor and the ECU. Also carefully inspect the terminals of each of ECU connector for damage.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Thanks Ron, I'll start doing some wireing checks. Do you think a bad TDC sensor wire would not allow me to adjust the timeing to 16 degree ? Or would that be a different problem ??

Also, whats left in the distributor that would cause me not to get spark? I did try a new coil and modual.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Ron, I'll start doing some wireing checks. Do you think a bad TDC sensor wire would not allow me to adjust the timeing to 16 degree ? Or would that be a different problem ??

Also, whats left in the distributor that would cause me not to get spark? I did try a new coil and modual.
I think that fixing the TDC sensor code will solve the problem.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^

He knows his stuff....I have picked up alot of info from him(Ron)reading his replies throughout different posts.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
I think that fixing the TDC sensor code will solve the problem.

I have an open between the orn/blue wire and the wht/blue wire on my $88 Egay dist. indicateing a bad TDC sensor in the dist. The old dist. reads 352 ohms. Good TDC sensor.

I need to try to make one good distributor from my 2 bad ones.

The old dist. has no spark. It seems when the ECU fried a few weeks ago something in the distribotor also fried. I eliminated the coil and what I think was the modual ( 1.5x1.5,with 4terminals)

Is that a pick up coil thats left ?

What else in there would give me no spark ???

Thanks for the assist !!!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Move the (new?) coil and igniter unit/ICM from the eBAY distribitor to the old distributor. Then install the old distributor to see whether you now have spark.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Move the (new?) coil and igniter unit/ICM from the eBAY distribitor to the old distributor. Then install the old distributor to see whether you now have spark.

The new coil and icm in the old distributor= no spark.

I even put the old coil and icm in the the new dist., it works.

I must be running out of things that wiil produce no spark in that old distributor.

Whats next ?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I even put the old coil and icm in the the new dist., it works.
So, in this configuration, you have spark and code 8, right?

So if you put the old coil and old ICM into the old distributor and install it in the engine, then you still lack spark but no codes are thrown after cranking the engine for 30 seconds or more, right? If so, check for:

1) Battery voltage on the BLK/YEL wire connected to the coil and ICM with the key in ON(II).

2) Continuity between both ends of the WHT/BLU wire and continuity between the ends of the YEL/GRN wire (between distributor connector and ICM).

Quick Reply: DEAD SOL