Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Civic Hard to Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Civic Hard to Start

I am new to the forum so if this has already been answered just let me know.

So recently I've been having issues with my Civic (w/D16Y7). When I try and start my car in the morning, 9 times out of 10, it will crank for a second, slow down, possibly come to a stop, then I'll let off the ignition try starting again, it'll be slow starting but it'll pick up speed and start.

I've checked:
The starter. Taken apart, cleaned the motor contacts, lubed and reassembled.
The battery. Tested at rest after a drive (12.5V) tested while running (14.2-14.8V) tested while under load (10.5V)
The flywheel. No weird marks or missing teeth
The oil. Recently changed, 600km ago

I have no idea whats going on, I don't believe its the starter, due to the fact it starts fine after I've started and ran it then tried starting again.
Thanks in advance boys and girls
Old 12-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: 96 Civic Hard to Start

Unplug the harness wires from the distributor (NOT the spark plug wires, leave them on) to make sure it won't start. Now you can crank for several seconds at a time and see what happens.

Then have someone turn the key while you measure the voltage at the starter. Starter big wire terminal to starter ground.

If the starter is getting good voltage (> 9.5 volts or so) but not turning fast enough, it is likely bad.

If the starter voltage falls off, check again at the battery terminals-- on the lead posts that are part of the battery. If that falls off, battery is either run down or worn out. Recharge and load test it.

If you have voltage at the battery but not at the starter, check the battery connections and the battery power and ground cables. You can measure across connections while under load to see if voltage is being lost.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mk378
Unplug the harness wires from the distributor (NOT the spark plug wires, leave them on) to make sure it won't start. Now you can crank for several seconds at a time and see what happens.

Then have someone turn the key while you measure the voltage at the starter. Starter big wire terminal to starter ground.

If the starter is getting good voltage (> 9.5 volts or so) but not turning fast enough, it is likely bad.

If the starter voltage falls off, check again at the battery terminals-- on the lead posts that are part of the battery. If that falls off, battery is either run down or worn out. Recharge and load test it.

If you have voltage at the battery but not at the starter, check the battery connections and the battery power and ground cables. You can measure across connections while under load to see if voltage is being lost.

I'll do that. I know that my grounds are good, as I have upgraded them to good OFC 4ga wire with proper soldered lugs.
What gets me is the fact it will start perfectly fine after a couple attempts, with no sign of any issues. I just went out to get food and it started fine after sitting for an hour to an hour and a half.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:43 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my crv did this right before its battery took a ****. was drained just sitting overnight