Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 honda civic front brakes are frankenstiend which way should I go what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 95 honda civic front brakes are frankenstiend which way should I go what do you think

OK so I have a 95 Honda civic. it just failed inspection for brakes and rotors and wiper blades. I fixed the wiper blades lol super easy. but the brakes I ran into some problems. OK so the drivers side has the regular civic rotors brackets and caliper not an issue. when i went to put the rotor on the passenger side come to find out I could not put the bracket back on due to the rotor being to big. I called the guy I bought the car from and he informed me he put a civic del sol brakes on the passenger side ( why I have no idea he could not or would not tell me ). So i went and got the correct brake pads and rotor for it put it back together and passed inspection. my question to you guys is this should i go get another civic caliper bracket and rotor and caliper and change the passenger side back to stock or should I go get the del sol caliper bracket rotor and caliper for the driver side which is better or does it matter. also why would the rotor for a del sol be smaller then the regular civic and the caliper be so much bigger ?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 95 honda civic front brakes are frankenstiend which way should I go what do you t

Could've been si/vtec del sol specific and he didn't know and just mounted them on. If you want to make life easy I suggest either finding the other del sol brake spindle for the driver side or finding another eg civic spindle for the passenger side. Make sure they are complete.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:00 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 95 honda civic front brakes are frankenstiend which way should I go what do you t

Originally Posted by deviouscobra77
OK so I have a 95 Honda civic. it just failed inspection for brakes and rotors and wiper blades. I fixed the wiper blades lol super easy. but the brakes I ran into some problems. OK so the drivers side has the regular civic rotors brackets and caliper not an issue. when i went to put the rotor on the passenger side come to find out I could not put the bracket back on due to the rotor being to big. I called the guy I bought the car from and he informed me he put a civic del sol brakes on the passenger side ( why I have no idea he could not or would not tell me ). So i went and got the correct brake pads and rotor for it put it back together and passed inspection. my question to you guys is this should i go get another civic caliper bracket and rotor and caliper and change the passenger side back to stock or should I go get the del sol caliper bracket rotor and caliper for the driver side which is better or does it matter. also why would the rotor for a del sol be smaller then the regular civic and the caliper be so much bigger ?
By bracket do you mean knuckle? Because the caliper bolts to the knuckle. If your rotor is too big for your current front passenger knuckle that means you car must be an EX or someone did a front brake conversion.

I would just find another EX knuckle at a junkyard and return the car to it's stock form. Or you can pick up the knuckle off any other civic and swap out the driver's side knuckle.

Your choice.

eH.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^Caliper bolts to the bracket. Bracket to the knuckle
Shin bone ie attached to the knee bone.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:09 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Originally Posted by B serious
^Caliper bolts to the bracket. Bracket to the knuckle
Shin bone ie attached to the knee bone.
That's interesting because the manual shows the caliper mounting bolts going directly to the knuckle. I'm not seeing a bracket anywhere.

eH.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If you take the caliper off the car you will see there is a bracket that looks like it is part of the caliper.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:00 PM
yippee-ki-yay

I guess I just though of the bracket as part of the caliper.

eH.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It pretty much is, but its like a specific part of the caliper or something like that.

if you buy pre-loaded calipers they usually come with the bracket, I wanna buy type r Integra calipers and centric includes the bracket.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya know I never thought about the bracket being part of the caliper but I guess in a way it is. so that makes it my fault for using the wrong words I guess. I did mean to say bracket though cause I am wondering if the regular civic caliper bracket will bolt to the del sol knuckle and then all i got to do is get the caliper and rotor and brakes and be done or do I have to change one of the knuckles. either way something is getting changed I do not know what it is yet but something is getting changed.

option one
del sol driver side knuckle ? del sol caliper & bracket & rotor

option two
95 civic passenger side knuckle ? then caliper & bracket & rotor

question is will the caliper bracket for either bolt up to the other
for example will a del sol caliper bracket bolt to a regular civic knuckle. not a big deal but could save some money.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I recommend you get two good spindle hub things with rotors and calipers from a junk yard.

if its a DX LX get the parts from those. or hatchback civic get the parts off those. If its an EX you can use Integra parts.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It should be like 50$...
Old 07-16-2014, 06:59 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

There are 3 different front brake setups found on the EG's & Sols...

CX, Si Non-ABS, DX, VX, LX, Del Sol S, Del Sol Si:
- Small rotor, small caliper, small pad, small knuckle, 13/16" MC

EX 2dr Non ABS, Del Sol VTEC Non-ABS:
- Large rotor, Medium caliper (16cl-14vn 54mm piston), large pad, large knuckle, 7/8" MC

All W/ ABS:
- Large rotor, Large caliper (17cl-14vn 57mm piston), medium pad, large knuckle, 15/16" MC

You are going to have to find out exactly which brake setup you have on either side to create a matching pair.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:56 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brackets are not part of a caliper. You can mix and match brackets on different cars in order to use a rotor/caliper combo. The two should be referred to as seperate for many reasons.

Loaded calipers come with pins and hardware and sometimes pads too. You don't say "check your caliper" when you want someone to check their slide pins. And you don't refer to pads/hardware as "calipers".
Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Qualify them as "pre-loaded or complete calipers" then. Centric sells "calipers" that come with everything that touches the caliper.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B serious
Brackets are not part of a caliper. You can mix and match brackets on different cars in order to use a rotor/caliper combo. The two should be referred to as seperate for many reasons.

Loaded calipers come with pins and hardware and sometimes pads too. You don't say "check your caliper" when you want someone to check their slide pins. And you don't refer to pads/hardware as "calipers".

Could not have said it better myself.