Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 civic with d16z6 wont run

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 civic with d16z6 wont run

Ok I have been searching this issue most the day, and let me explain what i have going on first I parked my car last night and it ran rough but still running. This, morning I went to start it and nothing, it will crank and crank, but wont even stumble or try to start.

Here is what i have done. I did a head gasket swap and new head this last weekend got new timing belt and water pump too. ran good then a few days started running rough, re checked timing......great. went through it put a new coil, igniter, rotor, cap, plasma spark plugs, and wires, still ran rough. so went through checked valve lash again double checked head bolts, and its good. I have no water in the oil been watching that, and compression is so so cause the pistons are wore out but it was driving fine this week any thing over 1000 rpm was smooth. on wed. it died on me and about 20 mins went by and it cranked up again and got me home. so I looked for vaccuum leaks i have a small one somewhere and ordered some vaccuum line to plumb it and hopefully fix it.

So today I went and got another dizzy still no fix. I do have spark too. then I went and got a new fuel pump just in case. still nothing. I also grabbed a main relay after resoldering my old one...... nothing. I am getting frustrated now I dont know what else to look for or what else could do this. Please help guys I need this car for just a few more months then its getting a brand new rebuilt engine.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:10 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Default Re: 95 civic with d16z6 wont run

Is there gas in the car?

*and I am in a similar situation. Car probably needs a new Fel-Pro MLS gasket, as opposed to OEM "pop like a balloon like every other Japanese car I ever had" gasket. But one costs like ~$100 or so (multiple applications, with flushes, used not as directions say, etc) vs ~$1000 or so for a HG job, with nothing else checked.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You are frustrated because you have been throwing parts at it instead of properly testing and diagnosing the issue... test first, THEN replace lol.. you've wasted a ton of money by doing things backwards bud.

So to recap, u verified spark at all 4 cylinders? What were your compression numbers for each cylinder? Have you verified you are getting fuel?
Old 04-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by W95civicEXcoupe
Is there gas in the car?

*and I am in a similar situation. Car probably needs a new Fel-Pro MLS gasket, as opposed to OEM "pop like a balloon like every other Japanese car I ever had" gasket. But one costs like ~$100 or so (multiple applications, with flushes, used not as directions say, etc) vs ~$1000 or so for a HG job, with nothing else checked.
Yes there is gas. I have been driving it for a few days.

Originally Posted by SpokaneSpeed
You are frustrated because you have been throwing parts at it instead of properly testing and diagnosing the issue... test first, THEN replace lol.. you've wasted a ton of money by doing things backwards bud.

So to recap, u verified spark at all 4 cylinders? What were your compression numbers for each cylinder? Have you verified you are getting fuel?
Well number one I havent been able to get it to the shop so I can test it properly and the way I would. The way it died I figured it was a spark issue so I checked and no spark, so I got the distributor and now I have spark. I need to check the injectors in a bit Im gonna have my son help me with that one. But I am getting fuel to the rail 37 psi or so its hitting 40 at spikes but nothing lower. im gonna put it at tdc today and just run through it quickly on the timing too. Last night it started raining so I had to stop what I was doing. My thing is it was running before I parked it. its been reliable on startup this week when it died on me coming down the hill to a stop light then it would start for 20 mins or so.

This is what the block looked like...... to me it's garbage and honestly it needs to be replaced and I will be doing this soon.

Last edited by thasloth; 04-18-2015 at 08:24 AM. Reason: I didn't want to put 20 extra posts lol
Old 04-18-2015, 07:01 AM
Trial User

p.s. I cant remember the compression test numbers. Ill run one again probably today if I cant find anything.

I really need this up and running though. I totaled my other car 2 months ago insurance is still a punk and haven't paid it off yet. I will end up owing another 1700 so I'm trying to make what I got work for the most part until I can get a block and rebuild it 100 percent correctly with proper machine work and everything. I don't plan on buying another car on a car note.

Last edited by thasloth; 04-18-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:39 AM
GDD's Resident Derp

I am gonna laugh if it is out of gas.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:40 AM
Trial User

I'd laugh too but I can promise it's not lol.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:53 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by thasloth
I'd laugh too but I can promise it's not lol.
Yes. My phone was acting up but it appears that isn't what is wrong.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you turn the ignition key to second position can you hear the fuel pump come on for a few seconds ( for prime) ?

If you can't hear it and you have replaced or reworked the main relay and you have already replaced the fuel pump than the next common problem is a bad ECU priming circuit (capacitors). This can be a intermittent problem worse on rainy humid days which can drive you nuts.

If you can borrow a known good ECU P-28 different for stick vs auto but for starting purposes either will work.

These ECUs are now 20 years old and the circuit boards are failing due to heat and moisture.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:17 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by delsolintegra
When you turn the ignition key to second position can you hear the fuel pump come on for a few seconds ( for prime) ?

If you can't hear it and you have replaced or reworked the main relay and you have already replaced the fuel pump than the next common problem is a bad ECU priming circuit (capacitors). This can be a intermittent problem worse on rainy humid days which can drive you nuts.

If you can borrow a known good ECU P-28 different for stick vs auto but for starting purposes either will work.

These ECUs are now 20 years old and the circuit boards are failing due to heat and moisture.

I am leaning that way too. I am going to readjust the valves today and just double check all my timing and do a compression test. not in that order though. I have power and fuel and I have spark on every wire and so on. voltage is a the distributor too. I will order a computer if I have to, I have been out of the hondas for about 5 years or so, I dont have many parts or connections yet. Thank you for your advice.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Trial User

Ok well here is the update I got the car started and busted *** to the shop so I could use all the proper tools to test it. It started running warmer than normal and well come to find out the head gasket must be blown or it just didn't seal up good on that crappy block. It's probably warped. Any way. I ordered a graphite head gasket cause it's thicker and should be more giving with imperfections. Honestly I'm gonna be rigging the hell out of this so yeah its not going to be a permanent fix. But if this doesn't seal it up I'm going with caterpillar head glue lol that will seal it. But like I said I'm trying to make it last a few more months for my build. I appreciate all the help.