Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16z6 swap...problem running

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16z6 swap...problem running

ok guys so here the deal..i have a 95 civic ex with a d16z6 swap. I recently did a head gasket job on it. I pulled the dizzy cap and marked where the rotor button was pointing with the motor at tdc before I undid everything. I pulled everything off and swappe the headgasket. made sure I sucked all the coolant out of bolt holes and cleaned the surface perfect. torque at bolts first and second stage like manual says. when I went to put it back in time the manual said the camshaft needed to have the up symbol facing up. Well when I did it like it said the rotor button was facing 180 degrees inward instead of where I marked it when I pulled it off. the car ran ok before I swapped the head gasket. well I went ahead and finished what the manual told me to do. plugged all the plugs up and when I went to start it it starte fine. until it warms up...it will bog down to 200rpms then just die. But it will also not start back up at all. I can roll start it but with the key it wont start up it just stays cracking over. can any1 please shed some light on what im doing wrong. I also tried redoing the timing to where it was before and still the same problem..thanks in avance for any and all help
Old 06-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: d16z6 swap...problem running

I thought the 95 EX came stock with the Z6 motor and the big bearing manual tranny......

I'm pretty sure you had to pull your distributor off and I surely hope you didn't wedge it back on, if you had to force it any at all, it's quite likely you put it on 180 degrees backwards. It's not supposed to be possible being it is offset but I have read where people have managed to force it on one half turn off.

The Distributor should ease back into place if you have it orientated correctly.

Once again, I'm assuming you detached the distributor from the head before doing your gasket.

Also you didn't say whether you set the crank to TDC along with the Cam shaft to TDC before putting the timing belt back on.

More information of what you have done, every step and every detail is required.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did remove the dizzy. I didn't wedge it back on. There were two different marks on the dizzy. One I made when I pulled. One someone else made when they changed it. I put both the cam and crank at tdc when I marked it before I removed the head. I also put both the crank and cam at tdc before I installed. The second time I adjusted the timing I put the crank at tdc and the head on the position it was in before I pulled the head. This being said I was at tdc on number one cylinder BOTH times. I followed exactly what the manual said the first time tho
Old 06-26-2014, 05:54 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Del_Slo_b16
when I did it like it said the rotor button was facing 180 degrees inward instead of where I marked it when I pulled it off.
Don't see how this is possible if you timed this correctly.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Don't see how this is possible if you timed this correctly.
that's the thing. I did it both ways. the first time by the book and it was pointing at the mark made before I bought it. but when I did it with the up symbol facing down it was on the mark I made....does that make sense? u should just come to Morristown an tell me what I did wrong haha...