Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic - clicking noise in engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Civic - clicking noise in engine bay

Hey all. Just joined. My name is Lisa, and a few weeks ago a friend of mine passed on his Honda Civic (1995 coupe, 1.6 liter VTEC) to me. No previous Honda experience, so I'm still absorbing.

I'm an auto tech student full time. Started from the bottom (never any automotive experience, having been raised in an arts family with zero mechanical aptitude). In addition to the Civic (aka, Mr. Scary), I also own a '71 Ford Maverick.

Now, to the question. I've gathered a couple opinions, but not from Honda enthusiasts. I appreciate any input!

There's a rapid, consistent clicking (or ticking) from start up and at all speeds, in all gears. Difficult to trace the sound with certainty, but it's certainly coming from the driver's side of the engine bay. Sometimes I'd describe it as coming from the firewall vacinity, but you know how that goes...sometimes you listen so long, you fool yourself.

I've put new plugs, oil change, radiator flush/fill (with proper air evacuation of the system). No engine lights, no codes. Shifts are en point. Noise doesn't increase in intensity with acceleration or turning. I've loosely poked around online about the sound, and I've seen a few places that hinted it was a pretty common/iconic issue with the VTEC. Not sure if that's true? Someone said its valve related.

Just hoping for some experience-based insight.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: newbie intro + a question

Id suggest you adjust the valve lash (basic maint) as your first step.

Valves that "tick" are commonly associated with out of spec.

its free (just labor) if you have feeler gauges....

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...t=adjust+valve

If you dont have a service manual, (aka the Helms manual) Id look into "acquiring" one as it'll help you with anything you want to ever know. That or search these forums, as someone usually posts up DIY articles for the most common, ala timing belts/tuneups/axles/etc etc
Old 08-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: newbie intro + a question

There's a sticky at the top for making introductions. The forum is exclusively for tech question and thread titles must summarize the technical issue - title edited.

Could be the valves, but the fuel injectors also click - that's normal.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 95 Civic - clicking noise in engine bay

yea touch the injectors and see if the clicking sound matches the clicking feel. lol
Old 08-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 95 Civic - clicking noise in engine bay

i lol'd the last post because it sounded funny to me and i wasnt trying be a smarta$$. but yea touch the injector to see if they match. you may have a sticky injector too