Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off??

Old 08-08-2004, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off??

Hi just wondering if anyone could clue me in on what this might be. This is only my second Honda so I'm not sure what's normal all the time. I have a 95 Civic LX. I just bought it a few months ago and right from the start it's made this clicking noise that is coming from the front of the car after I turn off the engine. I'm used to the usually pings and dings of a cooling engine but this sounds different. Louder and more consistent rythym. I've asked my mechanic about it and of course he didn't hear the noise But I'd say it happens pretty regularly whether I drive it for ten minutes or 6 hours it will be the same noise. Once in a while It doesn't make this sound. But that is pretty rare. Any ideas? Should I be concerned? I'm driving across the country at the end of the month and I'm wondering if I should follow up on this before the problem gets worse.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off?? (mcrocker)

i want to know too.....
Old 08-08-2004, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off?? (RACEPAK)

can you try describing the noise better? its hard to make out what you mean, and where from the car is it coming from exactly?and what condition is your civic in?
Old 08-08-2004, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off?? (gezer)

I'll try....The car seems to run pretty well but it was definitely neglected before I bought it. I think it just suffered from a lack of maintenance.
The noise is coming from the very front end of the car. It sounds to me like it would be some kind of fan or something or a motor that is still rotating after the car has been shut off. What surprises me is that I'll hear the noise even after driving it ten minutes to work on a cool morning. I've never owned a car that was so loud after shutting it down before. It's seems like it's definitely something that is slowly coming to a stop as the clicking tends to get slower and eventually go away after the car has been shut down.

Oh just to add. It sounds like a clock ticking. It's that consistent of a rythym. could the cooling fan come on after just ten minutes of driving??
Old 08-08-2004, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off?? (mcrocker)

Spin the radiator fan and condenser fan if you have a AC system still in the car. See if they are hitting somewhere.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off?? (Evil_Wizard)

Well I just drove the car around a bit to get it clicking and then popped the hood. Both fans in front seem to be fine neither is spinning and when i did test them both spun freely I also realized the clicking seems to be coming more from within or below the engine than I thought. I wish I could be more specific but I know very little about Auto repair. I couldn't see anything still spinning just from looking down into the engine however.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:26 AM

If it's just the fan blowing that sounds normal. Usually after hard driving the clicking sound can be mistaken for oil dripping back into your oil pan too. So keep that in mind.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:27 AM

turbo timer. that's exactly what it is!

sorry, bad joke. bump because i want to know what this ish is.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:36 AM

Mine makes a ticking noise too, its the exhuast cooling down and moving a bit when i shut the car down, dosent do it while driving just right after i shut it off. goes away in a few minutes
Old 08-08-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off?? (nocternaldragon)

It just strikes me as a bit noisier than any other car I've owned before. Including an older '87 Civic. I feel more like I'm parking my Timex and not my car when I walk away. I'm just surprised that it makes this noise after ten minutes of driving and can acutally not make the noise at times.
I've gotten to the point where I'm tempted to follow other civic drivers around and listen to there cars when they park.
It did have a new exhaust system installed right before I bought it. Could this be contributing??
Old 08-08-2004, 10:54 AM

i know the noise you're talking about. used to happen with my dad's older nissan. haven't heard it with my car yet. i think nocturnal is right, just exhaust cooling down.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off?? (nota-ex)

its normal its just the fuel pump
Old 08-08-2004, 10:56 AM
* B A N N E D *

you'll need to get a screwdriver and put it to your ear and tell us exactly where that noise is coming from and figure out what device is making it so we can give more advice. the only clicking that you shoudl hear when driving is the fuel injectors. also, check the pressure on the radiator cap.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's the heat shield. alot of cars do that once they warm up mine does it all the time. now that ii've cleared that up anyone know the purpose of the heat shield on the cat? can i take that crap off and not be affected?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off?? (Art In Motion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its normal its just the fuel pump</TD></TR></TABLE> how would that keep ticking after the cars turned off?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off?? (SwampThing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwampThing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> how would that keep ticking after the cars turned off? </TD></TR></TABLE>
hahahaha how would the heat shield keep shaking after the cars off?
and yes you can take it off i do it all the time at honda, or we clamp it witha hose clamp
Old 08-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off?? (Art In Motion)

it's not the heat shield shaking, it's the heat shield cooling down. why it ticks dont know but i put my car up on a lift and thats definetly where the ticking is comming from.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:20 AM

So heat shield, fuel pump, exhaust cooling, condensor fan, turbo timer, flux capacitor. Which are we voting for? Seriously though. Is the Fuel pump still an option Art in Motion? I know nada about working on cars myself so I wasn't sure from Swampthing's and your comments which way to go.
Either way it sounds like other people have heard this kind of clicking before without it being much of a problem. I suppose I'll try to get it "clicking" and swing by my local mechanic and get his opinion again. thanks for everyone's input. Since I'm still a newbie this is my last post allowed for the day( I think). But I'll keep reading if anyone else has any thoughts about possibilites.

Should i be worried that the heat shield is ticking like this? Is it just something that happens to older vehicles?

Uh oh!! just real quick before the flame war starts....Fuel pump? or Heat Shield?

Modified by mcrocker at 12:39 PM 8/8/2004
Old 08-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it is your heat shield trust me. the rest of these people dont know so they're making stupid *** comments
Old 08-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SwampThing)

no ones making dumbass comments but you, a heat shield rattles when the car is on and vibrating from the rpm's, how would it shake when the car is off there has to be vibration for it to rattle
Old 08-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Art In Motion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no ones making dumbass comments but you, a heat shield rattles when the car is on and vibrating from the rpm's, how would it shake when the car is off there has to be vibration for it to rattle </TD></TR></TABLE> once again read before you post, where the hell did i say it was rattiling? not where thats right. now, what i did say was that ticking sound is the heat shield cooling down. it is espeacially loud in cold weather.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Re: (SwampThing)

Ack! Admittedly, I did not read this whole thread, but If you hear a "clicking" noise, it is usually a relay clicking on and off. Not to be confused with a "ticking" noise...which is usual for all cars...heat makes the manifold, exhaust and other parts tick after it is heated up. No worries there.

Maybe you have no worries?

[going back to read the thread. :hammertothehead: ]

edit here;

Ok, I read everything, and now I just say...most are right. There is NOTHING wrong with your car. I hear the ticking for awhile after I turn off my car. It is usual. It is just the heat shield ticking or whatnot...things cooling down, whatever...I worried the first week, but realized it was just things cooling down or adjusting. I've heard it before, and it is no harm.

Old 08-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

glad to see someone agrees with my findings
Old 08-08-2004, 11:54 AM

mine clicks too sometimes from my custom exhaust. It's the exhaust metal that is heating up and then cooling down which makes noise. Why dont you get under the car where the exhaust is and find out if that is where the noise is coming from?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivHizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivHizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine clicks too sometimes from my custom exhaust. It's the exhaust metal that is heating up and then cooling down which makes noise. Why dont you get under the car where the exhaust is and find out if that is where the noise is coming from? </TD></TR></TABLE> yup thats what i did and it sounds the loudest at the heat shield. mine started about 2 weeks after i put on my new exhaust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie Question- My honda is clicking after I turn it off??

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: