Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 sol si; no oil pressure (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 sol si; no oil pressure (solved)

1994 delsol Si (d16z6)
175,000 mi (owned since 125k)
FRAM oil filter
5W-30 Quaker state (change every 5k)

Two months ago oil light would stay on for about 10 seconds, then go off for first morning start. Restarting immediately after this observation would not replicate the issue. Will not reoccur unless sitting more than 4 hours.

About 2 weeks ago, the phenomenon took 60 seconds for the oil light to go out (I don't touch the throttle or drive until the light goes off). During the first 2 miles of driving, the light started flashing on and off, then stayed on for a minute and then went off again. I drove it home and haven't driven it since.

I purchased an oil gauge tester and connected it to the switch position. Starting the car revealed my worst fear, no oil pressure for about 60 seconds, then only 10 psi. It remained 10 psi at idle and at 3000 rpm. Obviously the switch was reading fine.

In the same time frame as I noticed this issue, I had switched from a standard FRAM oil filter to their "synthetic HG" oil filter. I don't know if this is a red herring or related. I plan to attach the standard oil filter tonight and retest.

I had always thought that since the oil pump ran off of the engine, that when it failed it would be off, not intermittent.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default re: 94 sol si; no oil pressure (solved)

Drain the oil and replace oil filter. Really this should have been your first step. When the oil pressure light comes on that means you have 3psi or less. And revving it at that state to 3k rpms, there's no telling how much damage that caused.

If this were me, I'd be looking for a replacement motor.

Good luck man!
Old 04-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason why your oil light is coming on on first start ups, is probably cause your oil pump gears are worn down, so it needs to heat up and build pressure. You can try to put a new oil pump, plus all corresponding stuff, and hope for the best.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 93 sol si. First I had a oil leak from my oil pressure sending unit which is located on the block just above the oil filter. You have to have the car on a lift and remove the oil filter to see it.
When I replaced the sending unit with a non OEM one my oil pressure light would come on when the engine was idling. I still had oil pressure but the diaphragm in the sending unit was bad or out of spec and sent a false signal to the dashboard light. A second non OEM sending unit did the same thing. When I got a OEM sending unit the problem went away. You may have a failed sending unit and I recommend a OEM one.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by drkyle96
1994 delsol Si (d16z6)
175,000 mi (owned since 125k)
FRAM oil filter
5W-30 Quaker state (change every 5k)

Two months ago oil light would stay on for about 10 seconds, then go off for first morning start. Restarting immediately after this observation would not replicate the issue. Will not reoccur unless sitting more than 4 hours.

About 2 weeks ago, the phenomenon took 60 seconds for the oil light to go out (I don't touch the throttle or drive until the light goes off). During the first 2 miles of driving, the light started flashing on and off, then stayed on for a minute and then went off again. I drove it home and haven't driven it since.

I purchased an oil gauge tester and connected it to the switch position. Starting the car revealed my worst fear, no oil pressure for about 60 seconds, then only 10 psi. It remained 10 psi at idle and at 3000 rpm. Obviously the switch was reading fine.

In the same time frame as I noticed this issue, I had switched from a standard FRAM oil filter to their "synthetic HG" oil filter. I don't know if this is a red herring or related. I plan to attach the standard oil filter tonight and retest.

I had always thought that since the oil pump ran off of the engine, that when it failed it would be off, not intermittent.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hi,
I am the technical director at FRAM. It doesnt sound like the oil or filter is your problem. Did you test with a mechanical gauge? That is what you need to do. You can buy one for 30 bucks, remove the sending unit and screw in a mechanical guage. 10 psi at 3k rpm says your oil pump is failing or you have excessive bearing clearance or both. How many miles on the engine?
Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I realized that I never stated the resolution.

Short answer was that the oil screen was plugged. I cleaned it and went ahead and replaced the timing belt, etc. While there I checked the oil pump. The gaps were slightly high, so I went ahead and replaced the oil pump as well.

The car runs and the oil light is off.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by drkyle96
I realized that I never stated the resolution.

Short answer was that the oil screen was plugged. I cleaned it and went ahead and replaced the timing belt, etc. While there I checked the oil pump. The gaps were slightly high, so I went ahead and replaced the oil pump as well.

The car runs and the oil light is off.
That's awesome, glad you got it fixed!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motorking
Hi,
I am the technical director at FRAM. It doesnt sound like the oil or filter is your problem. Did you test with a mechanical gauge? That is what you need to do. You can buy one for 30 bucks, remove the sending unit and screw in a mechanical guage. 10 psi at 3k rpm says your oil pump is failing or you have excessive bearing clearance or both. How many miles on the engine?

As a mechanic, engine builder, and generally knowledgeable enthusiast, I would like to state for the record that FRAM filters are garbage. They are constructed of crap materials, and are of generally poor quality. I'd sculpt cat poop into the shape of an oil filter and use it on my car before I used a FRAM filter.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
As a mechanic, engine builder, and generally knowledgeable enthusiast, I would like to state for the record that FRAM filters are garbage. They are constructed of crap materials, and are of generally poor quality. I'd sculpt cat poop into the shape of an oil filter and use it on my car before I used a FRAM filter.
Our honda's deserve better than cat poop. How dare you.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 sol si; no oil pressure

Im not gonna lie. I chuckled because I own two cats.... and you could totally mold a filter with their dookie.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 sol si; no oil pressure

So I guess you know alot more about engines than the designers and engineers at Honda huh? They have been specifying FRAM filters for 13 yrs. Same for Subaru, GM, Ford, John Deere, Harley Davidson, Mercury Marine, Briggs and Stratton, Porshe, AC Delco, K+N, Mobil !, Royal Purple and quite a few others. But you of course, being a mechanic, engine builder and enthusiast (you left out filtration expert) know more than they do about what oil filters do, remove dirt from oil. Go figure
Old 07-09-2015, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: 94 sol si; no oil pressure (solved)

Beyond the gear wear, has the oil seen any other issues such as headgasket failure or other issues to encourage the sludge problem?

Also for motorking, Whats it like to be Tech Director at Autolite, Prestone and Fram over the course of 4 years? (Sorry for thread jacking)
Old 07-09-2015, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 sol si; no oil pressure (solved)

Originally Posted by angrysmileyface
Beyond the gear wear, has the oil seen any other issues such as headgasket failure or other issues to encourage the sludge problem?

Also for motorking, Whats it like to be Tech Director at Autolite, Prestone and Fram over the course of 4 years? (Sorry for thread jacking)
Hey angry,
I have actually been working here for 25 yrs, 11 in engineering and 14 in tech service and marketing. It's a fun and very demanding job, not to mention that it has somehow become very cool to "bash FRAM" all over the internet. I actually enjoy that part as most people know very little about filters and generally rank them based on perceived construction and not filtration efficiency. I have a youtube channel (Cadzillals6) that has in depth filtration educational videos. They are not FRAM sales pitches, I do not let our marketing group push me that way, stick to engineering and the facts is the way I teach. I have held this job at FRAM, Prestone and Autolite for 10 yrs, also doing lots of tech work for Bendix Brakes and Garret Turbos as well.