Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Honda Del Sol - Brake Lights stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Honda Del Sol - Brake Lights stuck on

All the sudden today my brake lights will not go off even when the car is off. I have tried pulling fuses - to no avail. The only way I managed to get them to go off was to disconnect the negative battery cable.

Any ideas??

I have read places that talk about checking the brake pedal switch to see if it is stuck but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know exactly where it is and what it looks like... or what else I can try??

I am most definitely a novice. But would really rather not go to a mechanic right now as money is tight.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 94 Honda Del Sol - Brake Lights stuck on (sofro123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sofro123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All the sudden today my brake lights will not go off even when the car is off. I have tried pulling fuses - to no avail. The only way I managed to get them to go off was to disconnect the negative battery cable.

Any ideas??

I have read places that talk about checking the brake pedal switch to see if it is stuck but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know exactly where it is and what it looks like... or what else I can try??

I am most definitely a novice. But would really rather not go to a mechanic right now as money is tight. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, easy fix. you need to get under the dash from the driverside (get a flash light sometimes it can be dark down there).

now the switch is located on the ugly pedal bracket that the pedals are mounted to.

link:
http://www.thehondapartsstore....ch=no

look for item #17. that is what the switch looks like.
sometimes they need adjusting (the nut on the switch), sometimes the toggle gets stuck, or worse case scenerio the connection inside the switch is bad.

they run for about $5 at the junk yard.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: 94 Honda Del Sol - Brake Lights stuck on (sofro123)

That happened to me as well. It happened because my rear brake seal went and i was out of brake fluid. Check your brake fluid. Just throwing that out there.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Honda Del Sol - Brake Lights stuck on (zachattack54)

i agree with zach above me. Thats happened to me a few times in the past 4 months. Check the fluid
Old 09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Honda Del Sol - Brake Lights stuck on (zachattack54)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zachattack54 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That happened to me as well. It happened because my rear brake seal went and i was out of brake fluid. Check your brake fluid. Just throwing that out there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solattack77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i agree with zach above me. Thats happened to me a few times in the past 4 months. Check the fluid </TD></TR></TABLE>

he is saying his brake light is staying on, not the brake light in the dash, but the actual brake lights. being low on brake fluid will not do this.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Honda Del Sol - Brake Lights stuck on

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a similar issue. The brake lights on my Del Sol come on with the parking lights. I've replaced the brake pedal switch already. That seemed to work for a little while, then it started happening again.
It seems like the brake lights are getting electricity from somewhere other than their normal circuit. I've taken the interior apart to examine the wiring, but nothing obvious is standing out.

Anybody have any ideas about fixing this?

Thanks,

Yoyo
Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had this problem on my accord and me sol i jus super glued a pennie to the brake pedal leg where the brake switch hits. worked perfect.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoyocafe
I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a similar issue. The brake lights on my Del Sol come on with the parking lights. I've replaced the brake pedal switch already. That seemed to work for a little while, then it started happening again.
It seems like the brake lights are getting electricity from somewhere other than their normal circuit. I've taken the interior apart to examine the wiring, but nothing obvious is standing out.

Anybody have any ideas about fixing this?

Thanks,

Yoyo
This happened to me over the weekend. Many remedies. I used a carriage bolt to replace the plastic stopper on the brake pedal, it makes contact with the brake light switch when the pedal isn't pushed.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Also check the ground wires in the rear. One may be broken or disconnected.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not the switch or the stopper, I've replaced the switch and the lights do work properly as long as the running lights are off. I thought it may be a bad ground also, but I can't seem to find the ground wire in the trunk or the side frame. Does anyone know where the brake lights/tail lights ground is?

Thanks,

Yoyo
Old 10-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found the problem. In the tail lights, one of the filaments had broken and shorted out with the other filament inside the bulb. When the lights where on, the brake lights got power through short in the bulb itself. That was a pain to find. I can't imagine what the chances of that happening are.

Yoyo
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-31-2020, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found some disintegrated plastic pieces on the floor mat after a kid at the tire store kicked around down there (always tell them to be gentle with a '93 Del Sol!!!) near the brake pedal.... It was the Brake Pedal Stop Pad..... about $5-7.... Very likely is this....
Old 08-02-2020, 12:33 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

11 year old thread, users probably not around anymore.