Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Honda Civic Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Honda Civic Oil Consumption

So this is wats going on on my 94 Honda civic I'm having oil consumption problems. I looked online on other threads and forums most common cases are valve stems and piston rings. I recently replaced my head gasket got the head machined did a valve adjustment put all new seals in the head and new seal on front and rear crankshaft. The oil pan gasket was replaced also. When I had the engine apart the Pistons didn't look bad I work at a shop the older techs said the looked fine as well no big clearance between the cylinder wall and piston. Well when I was done with the rebuild no problems at all car runs like a top I did use my jobs bulk oil to fill my engine which was Quaker state 5-30 which they claim is synthetic blend. Could this cause my problem it was also doing this before my head went bad. But my oil isn't black and dirty it looks fine I haven't got a chance to do a compression test yet. But could the valve stem seals be bad with only 1,000 miles on the rebuild I used super tech valve stem steals
Old 03-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: 94 Honda Civic Oil Consumption

Originally Posted by Dvonte10
So this is wats going on on my 94 Honda civic I'm having oil consumption problems. I looked online on other threads and forums most common cases are valve stems and piston rings. I recently replaced my head gasket got the head machined did a valve adjustment put all new seals in the head and new seal on front and rear crankshaft. The oil pan gasket was replaced also. When I had the engine apart the Pistons didn't look bad I work at a shop the older techs said the looked fine as well no big clearance between the cylinder wall and piston. Well when I was done with the rebuild no problems at all car runs like a top I did use my jobs bulk oil to fill my engine which was Quaker state 5-30 which they claim is synthetic blend. Could this cause my problem it was also doing this before my head went bad. But my oil isn't black and dirty it looks fine I haven't got a chance to do a compression test yet. But could the valve stem seals be bad with only 1,000 miles on the rebuild I used super tech valve stem steals
Two things I question off the top. Did you do a valve guide job when you had the head machined? If the valve guides are worn it will wear the new seals quickly.

Also, did you use a cut piece of straw and a little oil to get the seals over the keeper groove of the valve stem? If you didn't you can easily put tears into the new seal on install as it slides over the keeper groove of the valve stem.

Lastly, how were the oil control rings assessed? Just visually?

Oh and the final thought... Have you checked and replaced your PCV valve and PCV valve hoses?

Dino oil, semi synthetic or synthetic shouldn't make much difference. Mobile 1 oil is known to burn faster than most others especially in the synthetic department. But really shouldn't be the major cause of high consumption.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magen the head was at the machine shop everything was done to it. I'm not for sure have they installed the seals its a shop that's been around longer I been alive so I'm sure they know what their doing lol. The ring were looked at visually their was no excessive play in them
Old 03-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Raise the front end on stands. Crawl under the engine. Is the engine spotless of any oil or is it caked in oil? Any fresh oil leaking?