Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 sol si - brake, axle, and rubbing tire issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 sol si - brake, axle, and rubbing tire issues

ok so i purchased this lil ride the other day .. popped a permit on it went out drivin around
i should note the history from what ive gathered so far
its a rebuilt status
the kid i bought it from said the master and slave cylinders have been replaced along with the clutch

heres the issue im experiencing
keep in mind ive tried searching and cant find anything as similar to this

when accellerating from a stop in first gear it feels like the tire is rubbing something in the front passenger side of the car .. its intermittent it seems to do it less or not at all if i slowly let the clutch out

when im at higher rpm range as well "6000" in gear it will seem to make this noise a little and i can feel it in the drive train

i just got the car its raining alot here so i havent had a chance to get under it and have a look at things but from what i can say it feels \ sounds like is almost as if the cv axle isnt seated right so it skips a few teeth from time to time ? or anything with the similar teeth style on the shaft it feels like it will skip the teeth .. like i said it isnt a constant thing it happens at random but it happens often

1993 del sol si D16zc SOHC Vtec after market intake mani stock tranny 5 speed lowered "not sure how low but pretty low " header along with full exhaust and cat delete with test pipe

due to it being low im wondering if the passenger cv isnt sitting properly maybe its flexing too much in a particular direction causing it to pull away sometimes on accel ?

i plan on bleeding the slave today i noticed i have about a total of 6 inch clutch pedal travel is this normal ?
also lastnight i started it up to move it ... while cold and couldnt get it into any gear ... when i tried reverse it would just start making the grinding sound and wouldnt engage into reverse .. i couldnt push it into first 3rd 4th or 5th managed to get it into second about 6 tries in .. hence im going to bleed the slave today

any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just bought a 93 sol si got an issue

forgot to mention mileage
current mileage on the car shows 280'000 km ..
i dont know if the tranny or motor have ever been replaced or rebuilt
when the car is warmed up and running it shifts great and runs great except for the lack of clutch pedal travel ..
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bled the slave the clutch pedal seems stiffer which im happy about the gear shifting while cold seems to be gone i just have to adjust the back of the pedal to suit my wants for travel

ive been doing some research and i think what most describes the issue is maybe a siezed brake caliper which im going to check on as soon as i get time .. i hope its that simple doesnt explain why the issue pops up at high rpm \ speeds tho ..
Old 10-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your axles, sounds like you have a problem there. Could also be the brakes like you said...
If the engine doesn't show any signs of problems, you should be ok. I would go ahead and get a valve adjustment done to it though and just make sure everything is clean inside the engine.
You should have a little more pedal travel than that...
Old 10-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your wheel bearings too.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the front coils were just cut to lower the car you may have a axle interference on the passenger side. Also check the lower control arm rubber insert. It may have deteriorated after the lowering and the changed angle of the axle.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 sol si - brake, axle, and rubbing tire issues

thanks for the replies guys i have an update
took it to three shops ..

1st one said everything is solid underneath " bushings etc" and simply said something is bent but they cant tell by eye

2cnd place couldnt get it up on the lift to look under but by driving it said something is loose and stated they dont believe the frame is bent

3rd couldnt get it on the lift but will tomorow ... however just by eyeballing it and driving it he said something is definately bent in relation to a bent tie rod or bent LCA or both
he also stated he doesnt believe the frame is bent

i have booked an appointment for the 3rd place "well known and oldschool style mechanic" he will have it up on the lift in the morning and he said hes pretty sure its a bent tie rod or LCA and it wont be too expensive to fix

so im hoping its that

ill update results tomorow for others that are having similar issues
and next after this is fixed ill be buying a new master clutch cylinder since ive discovered mine is leaking " i assume thats why i cant get it into gear sometimes" my temporary solution for now is pumping the hell outta the clutch then it seems to shift like butter
Old 11-01-2012, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i should note that after i made my original post i went out and did a ghetto measurement on both front tires ...

on the back of the tire center to fender wall drivers side i can fit 3 fingers in
passenger side only 1 finger

so it showed to me the passenger wheel is sitting approx 1 inch closer to the fender wall then the drivers side .. thats why i took it in since i dont have any previous experience with tires not lining up or LCA's or anything of that nature

my experience generally lies in engine swapping and interior mods

if i take anything out of this issue tho i can say ive learned alot about LCA's and everything connected to it

this might explain why my 98 prelude gets some shake while accellerating
Old 11-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turns out the frame is bent ..
tire is sitting back an inch approx ...
gotta find a frame stretcher and hope it doesnt cost much otherwise i may have to look for a shell and transfer all the parts from this to that