Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 eg si sunroof tilt issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 eg si sunroof tilt issue

i have a 93 eg si all stock

my sunroof opens and closes fine but my tilt does nothing at all.

i tested it by the manual's way, grounding each wire, they all worked except for the blue tilt wire.

when i push the tilt button there is no sound coming from anywhere at all.

i cant tell where the wire runs to so i cant check for any openings and i cant find a good diagram to guide me.

pls help i like everything to work on my car this is little but irritating.

thanks in advance
Old 10-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 eg si sunroof tilt issue

pls no one can help me?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if tilt isnt working, how are you opening and closing the moonroof. last i remember its suppose to tilt first then slide open. on my 94 si i have to push the moon roof up simultaneously with the tilt or open button.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

make sure that the tilt sensor in the motor is working. it's the two black wires.
connection between the two wires means the motor is closed, open means it's tilted or more than tilted.

the blue wire runs to one of the Moonroof Open Relay connections (but is not used)
it then jumpers to one of the black wires at the tilt sensor in the moonroof motor.
after the tilt sensor it runs to the control side of the moonroof open relay.

how it works:
tilt switch pressed - grounds blue wire
ground signal runs through tilt switch in motor (if motor closed allow connection)
this energizes the coil of the moonroof open relay
Relay runs the motor to open the moonroof.
As soon as the motor is open far enough for tilt position the tilt sensor opens and stops the motor.

hopefully that makes sense.

**edit**
Originally Posted by delsolo95
if tilt isnt working, how are you opening and closing the moonroof. last i remember its suppose to tilt first then slide open. on my 94 si i have to push the moon roof up simultaneously with the tilt or open button.
this is not correct operation, open opens the roof, close closes the roof. Tilt is a function of open on a position switch.
What you describe indicates that there is a problem with your MoonRoof Switch.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

idk my open and close buttons work but my middle tilt button just doesnt.

ive tried pushing it but nothing happens

when i push the tilt button i dnt hear the motor for the sunroof
Old 10-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do u noe exactly where all the wires are in the car bcz i want to c if there are any openings or cuts?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how can u tell if the tilt sensor is working?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

location of moonroof switch wires - to the driver's side of the moonroof motor. (under headliner)

checking operation of the switch:
with the roof closed, take an ohm meter or buzzer and make sure the two black wires are connected together. Open the roof past the tilt position, the black wires should not be connected together anymore.

you can tap into the same wires (provided there isn't a wire broken) at the moonroof open relay.
It's located left side of dash, above and to the left of the fusebox, two relays mounted together, open and close. The open relay is the one with two blue wires running into it.
wires to tap into; blue wire and yellow wire. Same deal, connection means roof closed, no connection means roof open.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you have a FSM? If so it should have wiring diagrams, did you check the relay as well?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is not correct operation, open opens the roof, close closes the roof. Tilt is a function of open on a position switch.
What you describe indicates that there is a problem with your MoonRoof Switch.
do you even have an si? yes they tilt up before opening. the moonroof doesnt slide in between the head liner and roof of the car.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even if you press the open button it tilts up then slides open without pressing the tilt button
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you even have an si? yes they tilt up before opening. the moonroof doesnt slide in between the head liner and roof of the car.
The tilt we were referring to is a button not a mechanical action.

on my 94 si i have to push the moon roof up simultaneously with the tilt or open button.
I should have been more specific in my response. ^^^ this is not correct operation.

The way it should work, you push the open button, the open relay closes and the motor lifts the rear of the glass to clear the roof then slides the glass back. No pushing of other buttons or on the glass required.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know its not the correct way to open. its because mines get stuck while trying to tilt so i have to push it up for assist.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP why not just press the open button for tilt? itll still tilt before it slides open
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP why not just press the open button for tilt? itll still tilt before it slides open
Originally Posted by spooling_boost
pls help i like everything to work on my car this is little but irritating.
I'm the same way so I can relate.

its because mines get stuck while trying to tilt so i have to push it up for assist.
have you pulled the glass out to see why it gets stuck and can't tilt? the track that lifts the rear of the glass needs to be lubricated from time to time. It may simply be dry.
When I first got my daily driver, the glass would chatter when it opened and get stuck at times. After cleaning and lubing everything it slides smooth and works like new.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what are you lubing it with? WD-40, bearing grease, weather strip silicone grease?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2 : delsolo95 : bcz i was told the tilt button makes the sunrrof tilt a little higher and plus like i said i like everything to work on my car.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it doesnt tilt any higher put a spoiler on it!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spooling_boost
bcz i was told the tilt button makes the sunrrof tilt a little higher
smack who ever told you this in the back of the head a few times.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 132 Likes on 106 Posts

Just had to deal with this problem. Likely unique to the way moonroofs on 5th Gen Hatchbacks and Coupes operate. The FSM suggests "checking the tilt sensor" as a diagnostic option but does not suggest how to do this. @Relic1 was very helpful with his instructions here, and I tracked down the origin of the issue when I pulled apart the motor.

In my case, a plastic gear on the motor came out of alignment after I replaced both the moonroof glass (broken) and the complete sliding roof unit (abused by P.O.) sourced from two different vehicles, but re-used the original vehicle's moonroof motor.

Indicated in the photo is the white plastic gear that has come out of alignment, visible in the photo looking up at the moonroof motor area, but visible outside the actual moonroof motor. The "tilt sensor" (basically a small switch) is the small black unit just below.

Open up the cover over the gears (there are no springs or anything that will jump out at you), and pop out the gear set. You will notice on the underside there is a part of the gear with an indent, and where the teeth are shorter on the bottom half of the gear (about 11 o'clock in the photo below). Position this over the tilt switch, and reset the motor gear manually (use an Allen key) so that they are positioned like this:

Looking at the motor gear–the metal gear in the lower half of the image–you can see where the upper plastic gears mate indicated on the photo: There is a divot for the top tooth of the top plastic gear, and the bottom fits in between two teeth of the bottom plastic gear. Now you're back in business.

Last edited by deschlong; 11-27-2022 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Typos and clarity.
The following users liked this post:
DaX
Old 03-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 220 Likes on 188 Posts

on my 94 si i have to push the moon roof up simultaneously with the tilt or open button.
Glad I found this thread - I have the same issue w/ my sunroof on my '94 Si.

If I do not push up on the moon roof and I just push the button, I can hear the motor trying, but it will not pop the roof up for tilt or open.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Just had to deal with this problem. Likely unique to the way moonroofs on 5th Gen Hatchbacks and Coupes operate. The FSM suggests "checking the tilt sensor" as a diagnostic option but does not suggest how to do this. @Relic1 was very helpful with his instructions here, and I tracked down the origin of the issue when I pulled apart the motor.

In my case, a plastic gear on the motor came out of alignment after I replaced both the moonroof glass (broken) and the complete sliding roof unit (abused by P.O.) sourced from two different vehicles, but re-used the original vehicle's moonroof motor.

Here is the plastic gear that has come out of alignment, visible on the outside of the motor when mounted on the moonroof. The "tilt sensor" (basically a small switch) is the small black unit just below.

Open up the cover over the gears (there are no springs or anything that will jump out at you), and pop out the gear set. You will notice on the underside there is a part of the gear with an indent, and where the teeth are shorter on the bottom half of the gear (about 11 o'clock in the photo below). Position this over the tilt switch, and reset the motor gear manually (use an Allen key) so that they are positioned like this:

Looking at the motor gear, here is a top divot for the top tooth of the plastic gear, and the bottom fits in between two teeth of the bottom plastic gear. Now you're back in business.
Thanks for posting up these pictures, but I can't quite follow how you are aligning things...

I found a little mention of this in the FSM, but I am also not following these instructions. I am guessing it will be a little more obvious when I take the motor out, but reading this post and the FSM is not totally clear.

Did your fix work for a while? Or did you have to re-align the clutch again?

Thanks again!
Attached Images   
Old 03-05-2018, 08:58 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 132 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
Glad I found this thread - I have the same issue w/ my sunroof on my '94 Si.

If I do not push up on the moon roof and I just push the button, I can hear the motor trying, but it will not pop the roof up for tilt or open.
This could be a lubrication issue for starters. It was in my case (on my own vehicle).

The fix I did in this thread was on a friend's car, and I have now moved away. I can't imagine the problem recurring as the issue stemmed from the mashing together of three different source vehicles for the parts. The motor and the sliding roof assembly needed to be reset to "zero" as it were, when all was reassembled and the roof assembly was in the fully closed position.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
This could be a lubrication issue for starters. It was in my case (on my own vehicle).

The fix I did in this thread was on a friend's car, and I have now moved away. I can't imagine the problem recurring as the issue stemmed from the mashing together of three different source vehicles for the parts. The motor and the sliding roof assembly needed to be reset to "zero" as it were, when all was reassembled and the roof assembly was in the fully closed position.
Thanks! Am I correct that I do not even need to drop the headliner to clean and lube the sliders?

The roof panel is not perfectly flush when closed, so I was thinking about removing the panel completely to clean and lube the sliders - good idea? Bad idea?

Do you have a favorite lube for the moon roof sliders?

Quick Reply: 93 eg si sunroof tilt issue