Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 del sol S-hard start, hesitation, radio turns off after kill switch install

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 del sol S-hard start, hesitation, radio turns off after kill switch install

well here the deal!!!

this just recently started happening bout a couple days ago...

i worked on the car and practically installed a gang of new parts everywhere to my car, well i also had some theft protection installed hooked up to my main relay right...
well i went to go pump gas originally i use 91 octane just cause, and this particular day i put in 89 octane and the car hesitated to start for a couple min and thn i started finally and thn turned off and thn i started it once more and it was good...
well now when i drive my radio turns off a gang of time while im drivin... and if i turn off the car its doin the same time with hard starts and crazy hesitation... i was goin double check the wiring make sure othin is touchin but when i first did it i triple checked everything and everything was good... i have done a gang of work already and i knw the motor is bone stock never rebuilt and or moded... any help or advice will be appreciated i just wanna get this fixed so i can still enjoy my dd
Old 03-19-2011, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 delsol type s problem??? need help or advice

heres a list of wht ive done to the car since ive had it for the past two months...
:fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel strainer, cleaned sending unit and contacts, plugs. plug wires, tune up oil n filter, cleaned injectors and tb, added a fuel additive to help clean out my tank and lines (the lucas one), fresh cap and rotor, installed aftermarket radio, kill switches (fuel and ign- from main relay) changed the under dash 7.5 fuse for my clock and radio memory, and installed a pair of ek fog lights... thts really it other thn suspension and visuals

thnks guys
Old 03-19-2011, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the fuel pump still priming? Did you check for spark?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

unless you swapped it you can run 87 in that car all day long. too btw.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mostly always i hear the fuel pump prime its just when this problem comes up tht i dnt... its weird
Old 03-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
unless you swapped it you can run 87 in that car all day long. too btw.
i know i can but it actually does seem to run alot smother on 89 thn both 91 and 87... idk its proly just me
Old 03-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 93 del sol S-hard start, hesitation, radio turns off after kill switch install

The best thread titles will get you more views from members who understand the problem. Work at creating informative titles -- edited.

You should use 87 octane gas. The need for higher octane is likely due to the ignition timing not being set to spec.

Your hard start problem is associated with the fuel pump not priming. This is likely caused from the kill switch installation into the main relay wires. Solder and shrink wrap the wires or uninstall the kill switch. It could also be a problem with the switch itself.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 del sol S-hard start, hesitation, radio turns off after kill switch install

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The best thread titles will get you more views from members who understand the problem. Work at creating informative titles -- edited.

You should use 87 octane gas. The need for higher octane is likely due to the ignition timing not being set to spec.

Your hard start problem is associated with the fuel pump not priming. This is likely caused from the kill switch installation into the main relay wires. Solder and shrink wrap the wires or uninstall the kill switch. It could also be a problem with the switch itself.
alright my bad man and thanks for checkin out my thread... im goin to solder the wires today and check the continuity of the switch see if i have to replace em..
and as for the titles im gettin the hang of it lil by lil

but i have a quick question if everything checks out fine ima check the timing... but is it a possiblity that the fuel pump went out even tho its like 1 and half months old
Old 03-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsizzle1
and as for the titles im gettin the hang of it lil by lil

but i have a quick question if everything checks out fine ima check the timing... but is it a possiblity that the fuel pump went out even tho its like 1 and half months old
I don't see any reason to suspect the pump right now given that you have cut and spliced the main relay wires.

And the radio issue is also a similar wire problem.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT

I don't see any reason to suspect the pump right now given that you have cut and spliced the main relay wires.

And the radio issue is also a similar wire problem.
thats was the next thing i wanted to ask... the radio goes off when this problem is goin to happen, the only weird thing is that the radio turns off while im drivin and the car isnt turned off or hasnt stalled!!! u think if the problem persists tht it could be my ign switch goin bad?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats was the next thing i wanted to ask... the radio goes off when this problem is goin to happen, the only weird thing is that the radio turns off while im drivin and the car isnt turned off or hasnt stalled!!! u think if the problem persists tht it could be my ign switch goin bad?
You just installed an aftermarket radio. Check for a bad wire splice or a loose connector.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

everything is soldered and i did the radio after the pump went in... and the car was fine for a good while and it was just the ohter day when the radio started goin off before the car would shut off... and just to make clear its not the alternator its chargin at 14.7 so its good
Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would not think the alternator would just cause the radio to turn off. You'd have many other electrical problems. Check for a loose connector at the rear of the radio or a loose radio fuse. Sometimes a radio face plate can get loose and cause the same problem.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no i havent had any problems this is the first one... ever since the car was first sold... i have all the paperwork and i think the craziest thing its ever gone to the dealer for a bad battery... and besides the radio only other thing i changed had anything to do with the radio was the 7.5 fuse under the hood for my del sol clock on the cluster and radio memory that was all...
Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no i havent had any problems this is the first one... ever since the car was first sold... i have all the paperwork and i think the craziest thing its ever gone to the dealer for a bad battery... and besides the radio only other thing i changed had anything to do with the radio was the 7.5 fuse under the hood for my del sol clock on the cluster and radio memory that was all...
The 7.5A hood Back Up fuse is needed for the radio. If it's blown or loose, the radio will turn off.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright i just hope its not one of those stupid fuse that have a line break and thts the cause but ill look at it right now and see wht happens...