Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Del Sol - No Fuel Pump Prime

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 93 Del Sol - No Fuel Pump Prime

Hello, my brother has a 93 del sol that's been sitting for a long time. If i had to guess its been at least 1 year since he's ran the car its just been hibernating in his garage. Id say he probably put less than 1k miles on it in the past 6 years. Car still has under 100k on her. Anywho he moved and I am trying to get her running so she can be sold and I am having issues getting it started.

93 del sol si/d16z6

Now i know the issue is fuel, the pump never turns on to prime the motor, plugs are dry. Despite knowing its fuel I replaced the following purely because its been sitting a while

-new cap
-new rotor
-new spark plug wires
-new spark plugs
-new battery

Now, I cannot hear the fuel pump prime, plugs are dry & removing the fuel feed line to the filter indicates 0 fuel is being pumped.

-checked all fuses under the hood "the ecu fuse was blown">replaced>same results
-checked all fuses under the dash>no blown fuses here at all
-replaced main/fuel relay however the new relay has 0 clicking happening while trying to prime the car, I moved back to the original and can feel it click while holding the relay, its clicks once then 2-3 seconds later clicks again. I am assuming the new relay is trash as I recall having this issue with cheap parts back when I used to work on these

Now for testing I snagged the relay off my own del sol, although that one has been ran in years either. I will swap this over tonight and give it a quick try.

Obviously the issue is no fuel, root causes are typically fuse under the hood, fuse under the dash, bad main relay, bad fuel pump, or misc random *** issue in between.

My question is, how can I jump/bypass the relay to verify the pump is good without removing the back half of the car to get to the pump? I cannot find the correct wiring diagram for this process for this car. I searched but came up short finding other models/years which seem to have a different color wiring scheme. At least if i could paper clip the harness to bypass this we can start ruling out some things.

Once she runs ill change the oil, coolant, gas etc.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: 93 Del Sol - No Fuel Pump Prime

First off when you find a blown fuse and replace it and the car still doesn't work, you need to go back and check if the new fuse blew, and if it did, find the short.

It is normal for the main relay to click on then click back off when you turn the key on and don't crank. At the same time, the Check Engine light should come on for 2 seconds then go off, synchronized with the relay clicking.

To bypass the relay, unplug relay and jump the black-yellow stripe wire to the yellow-green stripe wire. Turn key on. The fuel pump should run continuously while the key is on. (Note that the car still will not start like this because the circuit that powers the fuel injectors is not complete. This is a test of the fuel pump system only). If fuel pump does not run, check if the black-yellow stripe wire is live with the key on. It comes from a 15A fuse in the under dash fuse box.

If pump does not run with the yellow-green wire live, there is likely a problem back at the pump. I am not sure how to access it on a Del Sol but I would think there is a panel in the floor like the other models have under the back seat.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
First off when you find a blown fuse and replace it and the car still doesn't work, you need to go back and check if the new fuse blew, and if it did, find the short.

It is normal for the main relay to click on then click back off when you turn the key on and don't crank. At the same time, the Check Engine light should come on for 2 seconds then go off, synchronized with the relay clicking.

To bypass the relay, unplug relay and jump the black-yellow stripe wire to the yellow-green stripe wire. Turn key on. The fuel pump should run continuously while the key is on. (Note that the car still will not start like this because the circuit that powers the fuel injectors is not complete. This is a test of the fuel pump system only). If fuel pump does not run, check if the black-yellow stripe wire is live with the key on. It comes from a 15A fuse in the under dash fuse box.

If pump does not run with the yellow-green wire live, there is likely a problem back at the pump. I am not sure how to access it on a Del Sol but I would think there is a panel in the floor like the other models have under the back seat.
Thanks for the reply, yes I did go back and check to verify the new fuse did not blow again. All fuses are good to go. I did/have been checking them as I troubleshoot sorry for not mentioning this. The check engine light does come on then off & all seems well there.

The original relay clicks like normal, the new relay did not but not shocked its from autozone. I brought a main relay from my del sol and same issue so we can rule that out right off the bat.

-Jumped the 5 & 7 pin and the fuel pump does not turn on with key set to prime>Jumper gets hot
-Jumped the 1 & 7 pin & the fuel pump does not turn on>jumper gets hot
-Removed the A harness from the ecu and grounded the green/yellow from the 4th spot over to chassis>pump does not turn on
Old 03-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Pump is likely mechanically jammed if it is drawing current (jumper gets hot) but doesn't run. This can happen when the gas in the tank gets old and gummy.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Pump is likely mechanically jammed if it is drawing current (jumper gets hot) but doesn't run. This can happen when the gas in the tank gets old and gummy.

Alright thanks man, really appreciate the info. I will get this towed to my folks house and test/pull the pump soon & retest.