Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 93 Del Sol - No Fuel on Plugs - Pump Primes

Year: 93
Model: Del Sol
Mileage: 90k

My brothers del sol has been collecting dust for several years now and he is moving so I am getting it running and cleaned up a bit. The original issue was no fuel at the filter, never heard the pump prime etc. Since the car hasn't been ran in probably 2-3 years I replaced the following

-spark plugs
-distributer cap & rotor
-spark plug wires

Now after all that I had no fuel at the fuel filter & couldn't hear it prime. I replaced the fuel pump Saturday and its now got fuel at the fuel filter and I hear it prime however It still wont start. I pulled the FPR hose and have gas coming out there so I know the fuel rail is getting gas which means the last piece are the injectors.

I primed the pump 8-12 times as instructed from the fuel pump instructions but still get 0 fuel on the plugs. The main relay seems good and was replaced at some point probably 4-5 years ago. Is there a test for testing the injectors? I figured maybe they could be gummed up but I wouldn't expect to have "4" injectors causing an issue. Perhaps there is a test to see if they are getting a signal from the ecu to open?

I checked all the fuse under the hood & dash and everything seems alright. I know I have good spark just not getting fuel after the rail. FYI this is a nearly stock d16z6. Basic mods like intake/header/exhaust were installed back in 2003 when the car had 34k miles on it but factory ecu and everything else.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2018, 08:02 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: 93 Del Sol - No Fuel on Plugs - Pump Primes

how many times did you try to start the car? If it's a good bit, you likely flooded the combustion chamber.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
how many times did you try to start the car? If it's a good bit, you likely flooded the combustion chamber.
I primed the pump around 8 times as instructions indicated on the fuel pump installation manual. I then cranked the car several times over. If it was flooded with fuel my plugs would be covered in gas no?

I get fuel at the fuel filter, I get fuel at the FPR which is on the rail but I get no fuel in the cylinders on my spark plugs.

PS: Thanks for the quick reply, its been a hot minute since I turned a wrench on a Honda
Old 08-30-2018, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have any test I can run? Its hard to search for because every thread is talking about pump issues regard the main relay, pump fuse etc. The pump was replaced and fixed that portion of the issue. Now im on to the next but hitting a dead end with steps to troubleshoot. I suppose I could snag some new injectors and test just seems like it would be tossing parts at it.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:56 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by digital sol
I primed the pump around 8 times as instructions indicated on the fuel pump installation manual. I then cranked the car several times over. If it was flooded with fuel my plugs would be covered in gas no?

I get fuel at the fuel filter, I get fuel at the FPR which is on the rail but I get no fuel in the cylinders on my spark plugs.

PS: Thanks for the quick reply, its been a hot minute since I turned a wrench on a Honda
Not always true. Someone I knew had this issue with his stock LS coupe. He kept trying to crank the car and it flooded the combustion chamber. He removed the plugs and it wasn't covered in gas but you can smell it. Once the plugs were removed (for about 15min), he reinstalled it and cranked right up.