Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

3 stage vtec with turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 stage vtec with turbo?

So i'm wondering if I can install a turbo on a 3 stage vtec engine and still allow it to enter 12 valve economy mode with good gas mileage at lower rpm's. Allowing the turbo to engage when vtec engages (at 16 valve mode), then disengaging when it enters economy mode. Would this work? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:29 PM

Default Re: 3 stage vtec with turbo? (B33FCAK3)

if you want the best gas mileage, boost is not for you! if you want acceptable gas mileage, and boost, then do it! but, i'm not sure what you mean by having boost work only when you engage in vtec... im pretty sure theres really no way to do that, and if there is, then someone let me know. haha, for a question like this, you could try the forced induction forum, as they obviously are the "boost masters" in there.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:01 PM

Default Re: 3 stage vtec with turbo? (team_exceed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by team_exceed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you want the best gas mileage, boost is not for you! if you want acceptable gas mileage, and boost, then do it! but, i'm not sure what you mean by having boost work only when you engage in vtec... im pretty sure theres really no way to do that, and if there is, then someone let me know. haha, for a question like this, you could try the forced induction forum, as they obviously are the "boost masters" in there. </TD></TR></TABLE>
maybe if he gets a turbo that doesn't spool til 5k it would work.. but he would never see full boost?
just buy a cheap shell, drop a ls motor in it and then boost...
that way, you keep your econo car and get the weekend warrior
Old 06-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3 stage vtec with turbo? (team_exceed)

Can a Moderator move this topic to the boost section please?

That's a good point, and it's just an idea. After 6000rpm the second VTEC actuator switch engages the wild cam/rocker arm pair for the intake valves. This switches the engine into the wild-cam mode where it goes bonkers delivering 130ps at 7000rpm. I was wondering if you could set up a turbo to engage within that time period, when the 2nd vtec switch engages in the 3 stage. Yet while staying under 3k rpm, closing the BOV, and allowing the 3 stage to enter "lean burn" mode (12 valves) still getting the best milage you can.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:20 PM

sorry bro...you go boost you say good bye to your gas mileage. Because you know damn well if you boost your not gonna baby it unless you have driven boosted cars before. Idc who you are your not going to stay out of boost all the time. So boost = bye bye gas mileage.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3 stage vtec with turbo? (SlaMMedB16)

yeah you're probably right, I do like driving fast. BUT with gas prices the way they are now, I try my best to stay within 3k rpm's. Maybe i'll just consider boost as a later option if gas gets cheaper or something. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 PM

wait am i the only one that ketches the the 3 stage vtec? i thought it was no vtec, then vtec with 3 lobes on the cam. one for vtec 2 for non vtec. when you reach 5500 or whereever, a silenoid opens up and the oil pressure pushes a pin locking the 3 rockerarms togeather. running off the higher middle lobe.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 3 stage vtec with turbo? (SlaMMedB16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlaMMedB16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry bro...you go boost you say good bye to your gas mileage. Because you know damn well if you boost your not gonna baby it unless you have driven boosted cars before. Idc who you are your not going to stay out of boost all the time. So boost = bye bye gas mileage. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a boosted LS with a GSR tranny in a 93 SI I average over 35 on the hwy

When you first boost a car obviously you are going to be on it alot but it wears off over time