Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 SI blowing #15 fuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 SI blowing #15 fuse

My brother has a 2000 Civic. B16A2. He had just bought the car a couple of months ago and the check engine light was on. I checked the codes and found P0172(bank 1 rich) and a catalyst insufficient code as well. I lifted the car and checked the cat, there was a straight pipe in place of the cat so I replaced that with a direct replacement converter as well as the downstream after the cat O2. Well, the catalyst code went away but a day later when I was driving I noticed the VTEC wasn't kicking in. The check engine light came on and soon the speedo wasn't working. I brought it back to my shop, checked the codes again and found Vehicle Speed Sensor P0500, Injector driver module failure P1298, and HO2 Bank1Sensor1 P0135 as well as the P0172 rich B1S1. Checked all the fuses and found the Alternator SP sensor fuse#15 blown under the dash. So I checked to see if the alternator was charging and it wasn't. Replaced the fuse, cleared the codes again, everything has been fine up until yesterday. Same thing happened, same codes, same blown fuse......I checked and double checked everything I touched figuring it was something I did since it never had this problem before, but I found nothing....If it happened all the time I would be able to figure this out easier, but only happens every couple days. Anyone know any info or have any experience on this topic, would greatly appreciate it, thanx...
Old 11-27-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: 2000 SI blowing #15 fuse (99EX12psi)

i had the same problem in my 96 ek hatchback it turned out to be that the wiring harness underneath the intake manifold was touching and blowing the same fuse over and over again but only happend after a few days of driving due to engine movement. you 'll have to pull out the wiring harness from underneath the intake manifold to inspect it properly..
Old 11-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 SI blowing #15 fuse (1.6civicturbo)

Ok, so I checked the wiring harness under the intake, but found nothing. I double and triple checked. For some reason I do not feel confident that the wiring is good under there... reason being, I heard on ClubSi.com that another guy had the same problem, and it was a bad o2, he also had just replaced his. So I warranty'd out the new o2 I had just put in and installed another new one.
I finally got a chance to take it for another ride today, and sure enough after I drove it around town doing errands I hammered on it and the vtec didn't kick in again, but no check engine light, so I pulled over really quick and changed out the fuse. As soon as I pulled out the fuse, the CEL came on(which I thought was kinda weird). Put a new fuse in really quick and took off and vtec worked fine, still working fine.... WTF!!
I'm going to have to go through the harness one more time I think... I just think it's so ironic how it started doing this RIGHT after I replaced the rear o2....
The guy on ClubSi.com also said he installed anti-fouler on his rear o2...anyone hear anything about these things, if they'll help ? Thanks!!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check and make sure the wiring for the secondary o2 sensor isnt' rubbing on the underside of the body were it goes into the floor. it could be a pinched or torn wire there that keeps grounding out. Just a thought though
Old 11-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 SI blowing #15 fuse (1.6civicturbo)

Oh, I wanted to say that I found out that there was a type R intake swap done to the car. So maybe they pinched something putting it back together...?Who knows...
And! I was taking out the old fog light wiring cause they didn't work, they were the high powered PIAA lights, wires everywhere!!!! A wire that goes up into the fender and hooks to the marker light, another wire that was half assed clipped to the one wire coolant temp sensor for the gauge!! The ecu has definately been taken out, the bracket that the cover clips to isn't screwed to the ecu anymore.....there is also a security system installed on the vehicle, but for some odd reason it looks like it was actually done right! Cliped soldered, heat shrinked and everything! Someone else must have done that work! That still looked good so I left that. Just trying to let you know what I know...
Old 11-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 SI blowing #15 fuse (ltrkstr2k)

Thats what I was thinking, good one. To check that wiring up there I'm gonna need to remove the center counsel to get at that wiring. Now that you mention is the seats have most likely been taken out and messed with and put back in it looks like for sure, 1 bolt missing, loose track, the drivers seat back is 2 inches lower on the top compared to the passenger seat, but sits 2 inches off the bottom of the seat also!!! OMG! What happened to this poor thing! Anyway, there is a good chance that the dummy who reinstalled the seats could of pinched a wire or a harness under the carpet. Dam! Might as well pull the seats and pull the carpet back to check all the wiring... and oh, look at that, there is an amp screwed to the floor under the pass seat....what next Anyway, I'll pull the interior in the morning and let you know what I find. Thanks for the help, good ideas, both of you!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anytime i chased down a wiring problem for about a month. it gets stressful i know. It took about 2 hrs to do the swap and about a month to get it running. I hate wires now.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 SI blowing #15 fuse (ltrkstr2k)

Ok, sorry I took so long to get back... Anyway's I found the problem and it ended up being a pinched wire to the oil pressure sensor by the oil filter... Apparently when he changed the oil, he used my oil filter pliers and grabbed the filter and the wire. Crimped, soldered and heat wrapped it, good as new. He's been driving it for about 3 or more weeks and no problems... Thanks for your help guys...