Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic VP Engine swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic VP Engine swap questions

So, I am new to the Honda world (mostly a background in German engineering) and need to swap out the engine in my 2000 Civic VP. It has the D16Y7 engine, and I have found a few engines available with low miles on ebay (imported from Japan). My questions is, with these swaps should I be looking for anything in particular? Is the Japanese D16Y7 set up any differently? Will it be a direct swap, or will I have to swap any parts from the old engine, etc...

I am not a stranger to turning a wrench, and will be doing this work myself, but need a heads up on what to look for. Should I plan on replacing anything before the new engine goes in? I was planning on doing plugs, wires, belts, etc. but do I need to do things like the waterpump/thermo?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if I am in the wrong forum and this would be better suited somewhere else, please let me know! Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to the engine/supplier I am looking at.
<Edited to remove dead link - see 4th post on 1st page for updated link>

Last edited by dstockbridge; 01-28-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 Civic VP Engine swap questions

D series uses all D series parts, B series uses all B series parts. For you, you will be reusing all of your D series parts (mounts, shift linkage, transmission, radiator/hoses, wiring harness etc.) For piece of mind I would recommend replacing the plugs, water pump, timing belt etc. Basically what anyone else would replace on a full tune up, I would do too. As far as the engine goes, the D16y8 seems to be the motor of choice for most D series fans for your vehicle. I am not personally that familiar with the D series motors so you may have to do a little more research on these engines. Anything else? Don't hesitate to ask.

-Will
Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you want the closest thing to a direct swap buy an OBD2 JDM SOHC. You will need to reuse your intake and exhaust manifolds and you will also need to perform the CKF trick shown here -> http://technet.ff-squad.com/ckftrick.htm or buy a USDM oil pump for a D16Y7/D16Y8 engine.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so it looks like the seller ended that auction - Here is a different one that I am looking at. I have heard good and bad things about Tiger Japanese, but I am going to take my chances.
http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/d15b...nly-96-00.html

So on this swap, what am I looking at? I will be swapping the Water Pump/Thermo, timing belt, plugs, wires, and putting on a new AC compressor. Will I need to swap wiring harnesses at all, or is the wiring plug-and-play? Will I need to do the CKF Bypass that 94EG8 mentioned? I am mostly just trying to wrap my head around how much time I need to invest in doing this correctly (I will be borrowing a garage, and have it for as long as I need).

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by dstockbridge
Ok, so it looks like the seller ended that auction - Here is a different one that I am looking at. I have heard good and bad things about Tiger Japanese, but I am going to take my chances.
http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/d15b...nly-96-00.html
After hearing essentially nothing but horror stories about Tiger Japanese I would seriously reconsider. Most people will swear by HMO, but the truth of the matter is that other than HMO probably being the best importer and tiger being about the worst the rest of them are pretty well all the same, and for the most part pretty decent to deal with.

Originally Posted by dstockbridge
So on this swap, what am I looking at? I will be swapping the Water Pump/Thermo, timing belt, plugs, wires, and putting on a new AC compressor. Will I need to swap wiring harnesses at all, or is the wiring plug-and-play? Will I need to do the CKF Bypass that 94EG8 mentioned? I am mostly just trying to wrap my head around how much time I need to invest in doing this correctly (I will be borrowing a garage, and have it for as long as I need).

Thanks!
That's an OBD2 D15B non-vtec, it's pretty close to a direct swap. Unless there is something noticeably wrong with the plug wires I'd just leave the OEM wires on, they don't normally ever go bad (cheap aftermarket replacements will frequently fail though) if you are going to replace them buy a new OEM set, or failing that a set of NGK wires. I would definitely replace the water pump, thermostat and timing belt though (again, buy OEM, i've seen more aftermarket thermostats and waterpumps fail that I can count.

You will need to do the CKF trick (this is true for any JDM engine, none of them had a CKF sensor, or provisions to mount one) You will need to reuse your engine harness (JDM harnesses are for a RHD vehicle and are almost a mirror image, plus they're normally cut) Looking at this particular engine it looks like it uses an oddball distributor, reuse the one on your current engine.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
After hearing essentially nothing but horror stories about Tiger Japanese I would seriously reconsider. Most people will swear by HMO, but the truth of the matter is that other than HMO probably being the best importer and tiger being about the worst the rest of them are pretty well all the same, and for the most part pretty decent to deal with.
Unfortunately, HMO doesnt have the engine I need in stock - what are some other reputable importers? Since I am new to the Honda world, really dont want to get screwed over. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone had experience with http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/ ?
They are the only other ones I have been able to find with the D15B. If I am missing something/someone, please let me know.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:30 AM
Seagull Management

I bought mine from a place called Sunrise JDM in Montreal. It's been in there for years now, put over 100,000kms on it since I bought it and it still doesn't leak or burn anything. I've heard of a few other people dealing with them and they all had good experiences.

Most of the importers in Montreal are pretty decent. JDM Source in Alberta is good to deal with as well, I know quite a few people who bought engines from them.