Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine swap legality

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap legality

I want to be very informant on the legalities of swapping an engine into my 2000 civic si.
I think that if i want to swap, I would have to find an engine that is 2000 or newer into my chassis right?
Is there any other rule that I should know?
I was thinking of getting b16a from hmotorsonline, but i notice that the engines were from the 90's.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:08 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Engine swap legality

it would help immensely if you told us where you lived

and what's wrong with the b16 in your si?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I reside in southern California.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:32 PM
been there done that

that answers 1 of the 2 questions i asked

Originally Posted by doood
and what's wrong with the b16 in your si?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same year or newer then the car for the engine in the case of living in california and when you do the swap it has to have all the original parts. After the motor is checked by the inspector and they give you the new sticker then you can go do whatever you want in the form of aftermarket parts until the next smog...
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't get the damn point of that. It should just matter whether or not it passes emissions testing.
I'm from California, but I'm never going back
Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by street93eg
Same year or newer then the car for the engine in the case of living in california and when you do the swap it has to have all the original parts. After the motor is checked by the inspector and they give you the new sticker then you can go do whatever you want in the form of aftermarket parts until the next smog...
I understand that Cali is must more strict on car emissions. Does this apply to Virginia?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:18 AM
been there done that

why dont you call your local dmv and ask?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sectorbob
Because I am lazy
Quite evident.
A quick phone call would reveal all you need to know straight fromteh horses mouth so-to-speak.

I'd like to see what would happen if someone followed the wrong advice and attempt to explain to the people at the BAR station that the strangers on a forum told them it was correct.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by Sectorbob
I understand that Cali is must more strict on car emissions. Does this apply to Virginia?
I dunno the actual VA law, but I know you have to be able to pass the safety inspection(catalytic converter) and in certain counties emissions.

Federal law always says same year or newer I thought.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Quite evident.
A quick phone call would reveal all you need to know straight fromteh horses mouth so-to-speak.

I'd like to see what would happen if someone followed the wrong advice and attempt to explain to the people at the BAR station that the strangers on a forum told them it was correct.
Also true.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Quite evident.

Haha true. Just wanting to see if anyone knew off the top of their head.

Originally Posted by doctorake
I dunno the actual VA law, but I know you have to be able to pass the safety inspection(catalytic converter) and in certain counties emissions.

Federal law always says same year or newer I thought.
Good info to start from. Thanks for your informative response.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in VA. Skip the DMV, call an inspection station. To the best of my knowledge though, as long as you don't live in NOVA, you can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you retain all safety hardware (seat belts and airbags), all lights are fully functional and properly aimed, and your cat is still "visible".
Old 06-11-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
I live in VA. Skip the DMV, call an inspection station. To the best of my knowledge though, as long as you don't live in NOVA, you can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you retain all safety hardware (seat belts and airbags), all lights are fully functional and properly aimed, and your cat is still "visible".
Pretty much same goes in NOVA, as long as it passes safety and the dreaded emissions they could probably care less about the motor. That being said I am sure there is a law against certain things, just no one enforces it.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There isn't. When my step brother gets home I can confer with him (he's a licensed inspector) but the basic jist of the check is this: Do all of your lights work when they should? Is all safety equipment installed correctly? Does the catalytic converter appear to be on the car? Does the car appear to be in fully working order? Are the brakes and tires still within functioning spec?

For lights, that includes any aftermarket lights you may have installed. If you have fogs that aren't working, pull the housings off and you'll still pass.

"Safety equipment" includes seats (they have to be bolted down properly), seat belts (installed properly with no rips or frays), the SRS system (visibly installed with no SRS light on).

"appear to be in fully working order" basically means no CEL, no obvious misses, and not seriously leaking or burning any fluids.

Brakes and tires, brakes have to be within factory spec on two (randomly selected, at least one from each axle) wheels, and tires have to have tread above ALL of the thread depth markers.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by street93eg
Im starting to lean towards the b16b now.
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30006
All the parts included in this package, I believe are original (But it's jdm oem) Would it still pass inspection?
Also I have tried calling california inspection offices, but their days/hours are very limited (8 am - 11 am), but anywho I came onto this forum to ask for people who have more experiences than me with these swaps.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes you guys nailed it here in VA, NOVA does have emissions testing but I'm almost positive they don't in all the other parts. For the most part as long as you have good tires and brakes with everything in good working condition you should pass and I know mostly on older vehicles they will really check the tie rod ends and ball joints for play.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO keep what you got. Your always gonna have problems living in crappyfornia.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where at in southern cali do u live ? Go to a community college and speak with an actual state referfee. A b16a will pass as long as its the same model year or newer than the car its going into. That it was offered in the United states and that all the emissions sensors are properly connected and working. So the b16b a k20r zc. Euro spec h22 will not be allowed. I have a 98 spec gsr swap in my 98 civic ex coupe
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the motors in cali it cannot be a pieced together engine like a B20vtec or a d15b7 Mini-me or any other random pairing of parts that the inspector will be looking at when he does his inspection. You cannot go from an OBD2 to an OBD1 or earlier as that will get you hemmed up with the inspector.