Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1996 Honda Civic Hatchback: Water Leaking into Driverside Floor Board

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback: Water Leaking into Driverside Floor Board

Hey Guys,

The title pretty much says it all, I have a 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback (actually belongs to my cousin, he got it a few weeks ago). Anyway, water is leaking into the Driverside Floor Board, but we have no clue where its coming from. It hadn't rained since he got it, but now these past few days it has and he's facing this little problem.

He is the second owner of the car as it was bought from a first owner, so it's not like it's been through a lot of people/abuse. The car is completely stock, no modifications whatsoever, except for the Koni/Ground Control suspension we installed a few days ago (first mod).

Nowhere else is it wet, except for the Driverside Floor Board. The passenger, rear, and trunk/cargo floor boards are dry as they should be after a rainy day. The weatherstripping looks fine and it seals properly as it should. Windows shut all the way up, as they should. No cracks in any windows or the windshield.

Basically, I'm pretty much clueless as to what it could possibly be, so I'm here hoping someone might know or has had experience with this issue in the past and may suggest what they did to fix it. I had searched and found a thread where someone said there was a recall on 1996-1997 Civics about water leaking into the cabin due to insufficient sealer on the body seams. However, after checking with the VIN# this recall does not apply to this 1996 Hatchback.

Any ideas, thoughts, helpful comments, etc will be gladly appreciated. We plan on trying to find the source of where the leak is happening sometime this coming weekend by use a water hose to locate it. Hopefully this helps, but any tips are welcome.

Thanks for looking,
Danny

PS. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as descriptive as possible.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback: Water Leaking into Driverside Floor Board

Does it have a sunroof? If so it could be a bad rain drain from the sunroof going down the driver side. Have someone sit in the car and hit it with a hose.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback: Water Leaking into Driverside Floor Board

Originally Posted by SpecialBrownie
Does it have a sunroof? If so it could be a bad rain drain from the sunroof going down the driver side. Have someone sit in the car and hit it with a hose.
Nope, no sunroof/moonroof, it's completely stock. To my understanding USDM Civic Hatchabacks did not come with an OEM Sunroof or Moonroof.

I'll be trying that hose trick this weekend (hopefully), but wondering if anyone knows of something else or the actual source of what can be causing this.

Thanks for the input though.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem with my car. The windshield wasn't sealed correctly when it was replaced in mine. Shoot water at the corners/sides of the windshield and look for the water. Probably the same thing.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
I had the same problem with my car. The windshield wasn't sealed correctly when it was replaced in mine. Shoot water at the corners/sides of the windshield and look for the water. Probably the same thing.
I'll be sure to give this a try when doing the hose trick. The Windshield is the OEM one from 1996 and has never been replaced.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is something i red somewhere on this site that shows you how to reapir it. i think it has to do with the plastic piece underneath the wiper arms, theres a rubber gromet that needs to be replaced or something like that. i think its in the faq
Old 01-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ShreqBoi
there is something i red somewhere on this site that shows you how to reapir it. i think it has to do with the plastic piece underneath the wiper arms, theres a rubber gromet that needs to be replaced or something like that. i think its in the faq
You're my hero! LOL ... Found the thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/92-95-passenger-floor-all-wet-after-rain-heres-directions-how-fix-1391530/

I must've missed it, I searched for a good while to. I guess its cause it says 92-95 on the thread title that's why I missed it. However, the Service Bulletin applies to 92+ Civics. Will definitely check this out, has to be it!

I'll report back once I give this a shot.