Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1995 Honda Civic running on 3 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Honda Civic running on 3 cylinders

Seems I have "hijacked" someone else's thread...for that I am sorry. Our family is getting ready for vacation and my son is driving himself, his girlfriend and his brother since we can't all fit in one car and they all have to work. It has been driving a little sluggish for the past couple weeks-dh and him put in new spark plugs. He took it in to have it looked at before we left and was told by the mechanic that there was no compression in cylinder 2. He is adamant about driving it as he has been driving it back and forth to work, hockey, girlfriend's etc with no problems. Trip will be 150 miles one way. I need to know if he can drive it to vacation and then drive it home 5 days later. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 1995 Honda Civic running on 3 cylinders

I dont see why not.

Have you checked the gaskets under the valve cover that prevent oil from seeping into the spark plug chambers?? Its a common problem in Hondas for these gaskets to harden over time and allow oil to get into the chamber.
Only way to find out is to check if the spark plug has oil.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1995 Honda Civic running on 3 cylinders

Originally Posted by dedee48
Seems I have "hijacked" someone else's thread...for that I am sorry. Our family is getting ready for vacation and my son is driving himself, his girlfriend and his brother since we can't all fit in one car and they all have to work. It has been driving a little sluggish for the past couple weeks-dh and him put in new spark plugs. He took it in to have it looked at before we left and was told by the mechanic that there was no compression in cylinder 2. He is adamant about driving it as he has been driving it back and forth to work, hockey, girlfriend's etc with no problems. Trip will be 150 miles one way. I need to know if he can drive it to vacation and then drive it home 5 days later. Thanks.
I hope you don't think I was rude by mentioning the hijacking of anothers post.

In our conversation I don't think there will be any problems with it making it 150 miles just being a little sluggish. Honda motors are pretty bulletproof.

But of course this issue isn't good for the long haul of vehicle ownership, so we should try and narrow down what the problem is and fix it for your son after you all return from vacation.

A few questions that will help us help you better.

What model 95 civic is it? Also is it auto/5spd?

How many miles are on the car (motor mostly)?

Did the previous owner ever replace the motor? Mostly what I'm looking for here is what motor is in the vehicle now. The front of the block will be stamped with something like "D16Z6". This info may help us with addressing and fixing your problem.

Have a good one, welcome to Honda-Tech and enjoy your vacation!