Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1993 honda Civic Si missing with loss of power? At a loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 1993 honda Civic Si missing with loss of power? At a loss

Hey guys I need help. Motor is d16z6. For the past month I've been working on this but I'm at a loss. The problem: when I'm driving at a constant speed It seems like the car gets real quite like you turned it off. "It doesn't stall." But when this happens I give it allot of gas the motor will stumble pop a little bit then the power comes back. Last time I drove the car out got to the point to where it was just dangerous to drive. It also has very little power when accelerating as well. I'm at a loss tough I've done the cap and rotor but then just decided to do the whole distributor, I also replaced the fuel filter. It work fine for about two days I filled the car up with gas then right after it started back up. I'm not sure if its in the fuel system now or where else I should look. Any and all help is great.
Thanks guys!
Cody
Old 01-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 1993 honda Civic Si missing with loss of power? At a loss

Any CELs?

Does it miss at idle?

If it does, try a quick and dirty power balance test. Just pull the spark plug boots off one at a time. If your engine runs worse go to the next cylinder. If it doesn't run worse, then you've isolated the cylinder it's missing on and we can try to help you more from there.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Dabolina
Does it miss at idle? Any CELs?

Try a quick and dirty power balance test. Just pull the spark plug boots off one at a time. If your engine runs worse go to the next cylinder. If it doesn't run worse, then you've isolated the cylinder it's missing on and we can try to help you more from there.
Yes, it does miss at idle. It bounce around 600 to 900 and like rumbles I guess would describe it best. And I'll will do that 2maro and get back with you since the car is sitting at my parents and I will let you know what happens thanks man.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is done by many people but can damage your coil.

The right way for check spark is in the sticky section.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's not done to check for spark..... Look up what a power balance test is. This is not nearly as scientific but it proves the same point.

It's to identify which cylinder is misfiring.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's not done to check for spark..... Look up what a power balance test is. This is not nearly as scientific but it proves the same point.

It's to identify which cylinder is misfiring.
Ok, I did it tonight. Sorry it took me so long to get back with you been working alot. But I did all 4 and all reacted the same. So I did it a few more time every time I unpluged one the motor acted the same, so I am starting to think that it may be a fuel problem. He said something about the fuel pump starving the car at points? But the car never dies and it starts up every time.

We also took the car out for about 5 mins. today and it didnt at up at all so it only does it at random "other then the miss at idle."

I'm dumb founded and would hate to sell the car for some stupid reason...
thanks again for your help bro..
Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Engine timing might be off. I had something similar happen to my car where I would floor it and a few seconds there was no power before it came back up.

Get a timing light and check to see if you're in spec.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrun
Engine timing might be off. I had something similar happen to my car where I would floor it and a few seconds there was no power before it came back up.

Get a timing light and check to see if you're in spec.
you mean mechanical timing right ? cause the distributer fully advanced or retarded won't do it randomly like op is saying. a compression test is worth a shot.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** man. I just realized you're from Lima. My phone doesnt show the stuff when I post. I'm from the Lima area originally, so I'll definitely try to help you out.

Are you getting any CELs?

Have you pulled the plugs out? They're usually a good indicator of whats going on inside of the engine. It can tell whether youre running rich or lean or burning oil or coolant on one cylinder.

Its possible the fuel pressure regulator is bad. If you rev the engine in neutral do you get black smoke coming out of the exhaust? Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge?

There's a ridiculously long list of things to check. The more info you can provide the better we can try to help.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Grab a vacuum gauge and hook it up to a line. See what its reading.

Also could be an exhaust restriction.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your spark plug wires. I had a similiar problem and couldn't figure it out then it was in my face the whole time.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure the plugs that go into your fuel injectors are plugged in all the way. i had the same issue on my b20. that took care of it.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
you mean mechanical timing right ? cause the distributer fully advanced or retarded won't do it randomly like op is saying. a compression test is worth a shot.
Thats next on the list but cant do it until this sat. but I will let you know..
Old 01-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** man. I just realized you're from Lima. My phone doesnt show the stuff when I post. I'm from the Lima area originally, so I'll definitely try to help you out.

Are you getting any CELs?

Have you pulled the plugs out? They're usually a good indicator of whats going on inside of the engine. It can tell whether youre running rich or lean or burning oil or coolant on one cylinder.

Its possible the fuel pressure regulator is bad. If you rev the engine in neutral do you get black smoke coming out of the exhaust? Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge?

There's a ridiculously long list of things to check. The more info you can provide the better we can try to help.
Yeah man I live in Lima and I'll P.M. maybe you can come out and take a look..
I am getting "no" CEL's.
I did pull out all the plugs it seemed like the motor droped in idle then idled itself up.
I am getting no smoke from the car other then whats caused from the cold weather..
I was planing on doing both a fuel test and a compresson test this weekend but my wifes car just went down so Im going to be pressed for time but Im going to try to get it in as well..
The only problem with running the different test is that it doesnt do it all the time.. I drove the car for two days before it did it, and at one point it was fine for a week and a half... other then the wired sounding idle.. so im not sure if i would get a fake reading or not..
Old 01-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RoseFuneral
make sure the plugs that go into your fuel injectors are plugged in all the way. i had the same issue on my b20. that took care of it.
I will try it.. I have an extra Z6 motor I was going to try to swap out injectors if it came down to it..
Old 01-24-2014, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92cb7sk8er
I will try it.. I have an extra Z6 motor I was going to try to swap out injectors if it came down to it..
first of all, at least if you have a bad injector, you have some spare lol. yours could also be dirty, or like i said before, a bad connection to one of them. same thing exactly like this stumped me until i just started looking for small stuff. cyl 4 injector plug came loose and was only making an intermittent connection at best. weird hesitation, popping, no power, then it all came back when i floored it, and stayed for a few seconds, then back to having no power and acting weird.