Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1993 Honda Civic LX 1.5 auto (no crank key stuck) Please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Honda Civic LX 1.5 auto (no crank key stuck) Please HELP

I am searching and troubleshooting myself in circles.

My 1993 civic lx automatic has 153k on it and i just bought it as it was purchased from a very trustworthy friend that drove it back and forth to work everyday but they key kept getting stuck and it would only release it every once and a while, So he parked it.

I purchased it and my stepdad and i had trouble starting it and replaced the distributor with Brand New one including new cap and rotor. CAR fired up first time BUT car lunged foward in park and did the same in all other gears. Since I had the car pulled with a tow strap not towed to my house I beleive I may have snapped the gear shift cable in the process. We got a new one put on, fired up and took for a drive and drove great besides vehicle speed MPH NOT working, and I dont think the gear select light on the dash was working anymore either. Everything else seemed fine besides fine tuning timing. Pulled in shop to dial in timing and key stuck in ignition and would no longer crank. Battery checked out fine. Bought $20 duralast lock cylinder with 2 new keys that was a bear to get in as pin that locks into place on top part of ignition was larger in diameter than stock so I had to sand/file a tad of width or diameter off to make it come through the hole to lock ignition cylinder into place. Tried to start and NO LUCK but now (NO CRANK) but lights and bat working fine.

Since I have checked these items or replaced. Replaced and cleaned some grounds and replaced negative batt cable with new one, left neg terminal unplugged, bought new ignition switch with all wiring, tumbler and keys included, Reset ECU multiple times, visually inspected main relay, and still no luck. NO crank all lights work except for gear shift lights and really need some help.

So does someone think the new gear shift cable may be bad or did i miss something installing it, Other grounds, Immobilizer,bad ECU??

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks,
Jayrocksteady
Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 1993 Honda Civic LX 1.5 auto (no crank key stuck) Please HELP

What gear was the transmission in when it was towed? Don't ever tow an automatic with the drive wheels on the ground, they normally don't survive. But they normally just wont move. This doesn't really have anything to do with your no start issue though.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94EG8
What gear was the transmission in when it was towed? Don't ever tow an automatic with the drive wheels on the ground, they normally don't survive. But they normally just wont move. This doesn't really have anything to do with your no start issue though.
Well just noticed my gear select lighting on the dash no longer is working and when I drove it speedometer was jumping and not correct.

Vehicle pulled in neutral. Pushed into garage before knowledge of cable breaking to install distributor for NO start issue as the vehicle cranked when I bought it. Put new distributor on and vehicle cranked and started right up. However when I took foot off brake pedal vehicle and vehicle lunged forward in park. So I'm assuming vehicle had to have been in drive when it broke or the vehicle wouldn't just go forward. I was told when New cable was installed something was pushed forward for new cable to go into place as I had asked if cable was broke in drive would it not need to be installed in drive?
The shift lock release was pushed to move gear shift to N to get cable onto gear shift rod. Vehicle started up reversed out of garage then into drive. Once turned off No Crank issue started and keys lock into ignition so you cannot remove until negative battery cable removed.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Hold on, wont crank, keys wont come out? There's something wrong with the PRNDL switch attached to the shifter. If it's not in park, as far as that switch is concerned you can't take the keys out, it also wont send power to the starter if the switch isn't in park or neutral.