Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1992 EG6 half shaft question

 
Old 04-27-2019, 09:58 AM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 65
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 EG6 half shaft question

Hey guys I have a question about my half shaft. It's a 92 jdm EG6 with the jdm B16A, right now the cars automatic, doing the alternator so I pulled the axle and half shaft off. And I noticed the metal seal that sits on the outside of the transmission where the half shaft goes into is bent. Been trying to find one online and whats its called but no luck. Anyone know where I can get one? Seal is circled in red. Thanks everyone.

MitchHamilton is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 11:13 AM
  #2  
-Intl Steve Krew
 
Caoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 4,772
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: 1992 EG6 half shaft question

If you can’t find it, try comparing to an automatic integra half shaft.
Caoboy is online now  
Old 04-27-2019, 11:50 AM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
 
tony_2018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 12,896
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: 1992 EG6 half shaft question

Called an axle seal.
tony_2018 is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 11:55 AM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 177
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1992 EG6 half shaft question

The axle seal is beyond that . That is a dust seal that goes over bearing on that side.
stin1 is online now  
Old 04-27-2019, 12:19 PM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The South - Roll Tide !!!
Posts: 3,459
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1992 EG6 half shaft question

There is no separate part number for the dust seal on the mid-shaft in the Honda or Acura catalog that I could find... so how about bending the one you have back into shape. Drill a hole in a piece of wood just slightly larger than the diameter of the shaft at the position that the ring mounts. Make a second piece of wood the same way, only cut this one in half through the middle of the hole so that you can place the two halves around the shaft between the dust shield and the mounting bracket. Then, either place the pieces into a vice and gently tighten to the desired shape (loosening so that the shaft can be rotated between the boards and then tightened again to bend that spot between the teeth of the vise), or stand the shaft up vertically and tap on the end with a rubber mallet to flatten the dust seal. The latter method may move the dust shield from it's original location, so make a mark on the on the shaft at the underside of the seal so you know where to move it back to if it ends up out of place.
JRCivic1 is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 08:47 AM
  #6  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 65
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1992 EG6 half shaft question

Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
If you canít find it, try comparing to an automatic integra half shaft.
I can easily find one online and buy one, would it be the same as my auto B16? I did some research and I don't think you can buy the dust seal I'm looking for seperately sadly.

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
There is no separate part number for the dust seal on the mid-shaft in the Honda or Acura catalog that I could find... so how about bending the one you have back into shape. Drill a hole in a piece of wood just slightly larger than the diameter of the shaft at the position that the ring mounts. Make a second piece of wood the same way, only cut this one in half through the middle of the hole so that you can place the two halves around the shaft between the dust shield and the mounting bracket. Then, either place the pieces into a vice and gently tighten to the desired shape (loosening so that the shaft can be rotated between the boards and then tightened again to bend that spot between the teeth of the vise), or stand the shaft up vertically and tap on the end with a rubber mallet to flatten the dust seal. The latter method may move the dust shield from it's original location, so make a mark on the on the shaft at the underside of the seal so you know where to move it back to if it ends up out of place.
I could try that thank you, worried it'll still leak though
MitchHamilton is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 AM
  #7  
-Intl Steve Krew
 
Caoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 4,772
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: 1992 EG6 half shaft question

I am not sure, but I do know that auto halfshafts are different than manual halfshafts.
Caoboy is online now  
Old 04-28-2019, 09:19 AM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 177
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1992 EG6 half shaft question

I can attest to that. Some guy sold me a " ek9" mid shaft. Ended up being an automatic and wouldn't fit. I may still have the thing too. I can look for you op if you can't find one.
stin1 is online now  
Old 04-28-2019, 07:20 PM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The South - Roll Tide !!!
Posts: 3,459
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1992 EG6 half shaft question

The dust seal has nothing to do with the transmission leaking... that is the axle seal that is pressed into the transmission/clutch housing cases. The purpose of the metal dust seal on the half shaft is to minimize the possibility of something making contact with the axle seal and causing a leak since these parts are low and close to the ground and vulnerable to impact by worldly objects that commonly exist on our streets.

If you have a leaking issue, you need to look closer at the axle seal in the clutch housing.
JRCivic1 is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 01:06 PM
  #10  
Honda-Tech Member
 
BiggieBert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LOST, FL
Posts: 843
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1992 EG6 half shaft question

What he said ^
BiggieBert is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 01:55 PM
  #11  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 65
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1992 EG6 half shaft question

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
The dust seal has nothing to do with the transmission leaking... that is the axle seal that is pressed into the transmission/clutch housing cases. The purpose of the metal dust seal on the half shaft is to minimize the possibility of something making contact with the axle seal and causing a leak since these parts are low and close to the ground and vulnerable to impact by worldly objects that commonly exist on our streets.

If you have a leaking issue, you need to look closer at the axle seal in the clutch housing.
Ah okay I gotcha, maybe it started leaking cause I pulled the half shaft out a bit. Might just try to bend that seal back to original shape and see what happens. Thanks everyone for the help!
MitchHamilton is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: