Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   1992 EG6 half shaft question (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/1992-eg6-half-shaft-question-3336457/)

MitchHamilton 04-27-2019 09:58 AM

1992 EG6 half shaft question

Hey guys I have a question about my half shaft. It's a 92 jdm EG6 with the jdm B16A, right now the cars automatic, doing the alternator so I pulled the axle and half shaft off. And I noticed the metal seal that sits on the outside of the transmission where the half shaft goes into is bent. Been trying to find one online and whats its called but no luck. Anyone know where I can get one? Seal is circled in red. Thanks everyone.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...2099a76c77.jpg

Caoboy 04-27-2019 11:13 AM

Re: 1992 EG6 half shaft question

If you can’t find it, try comparing to an automatic integra half shaft.

tony_2018 04-27-2019 11:50 AM

Called an axle seal.

stin1 04-27-2019 11:55 AM

The axle seal is beyond that . That is a dust seal that goes over bearing on that side.

JRCivic1 04-27-2019 12:19 PM

There is no separate part number for the dust seal on the mid-shaft in the Honda or Acura catalog that I could find... so how about bending the one you have back into shape. Drill a hole in a piece of wood just slightly larger than the diameter of the shaft at the position that the ring mounts. Make a second piece of wood the same way, only cut this one in half through the middle of the hole so that you can place the two halves around the shaft between the dust shield and the mounting bracket. Then, either place the pieces into a vice and gently tighten to the desired shape (loosening so that the shaft can be rotated between the boards and then tightened again to bend that spot between the teeth of the vise), or stand the shaft up vertically and tap on the end with a rubber mallet to flatten the dust seal. The latter method may move the dust shield from it's original location, so make a mark on the on the shaft at the underside of the seal so you know where to move it back to if it ends up out of place.

MitchHamilton 04-28-2019 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Caoboy (Post 51919100)
If you can’t find it, try comparing to an automatic integra half shaft.

I can easily find one online and buy one, would it be the same as my auto B16? I did some research and I don't think you can buy the dust seal I'm looking for seperately sadly.

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51919127)
There is no separate part number for the dust seal on the mid-shaft in the Honda or Acura catalog that I could find... so how about bending the one you have back into shape. Drill a hole in a piece of wood just slightly larger than the diameter of the shaft at the position that the ring mounts. Make a second piece of wood the same way, only cut this one in half through the middle of the hole so that you can place the two halves around the shaft between the dust shield and the mounting bracket. Then, either place the pieces into a vice and gently tighten to the desired shape (loosening so that the shaft can be rotated between the boards and then tightened again to bend that spot between the teeth of the vise), or stand the shaft up vertically and tap on the end with a rubber mallet to flatten the dust seal. The latter method may move the dust shield from it's original location, so make a mark on the on the shaft at the underside of the seal so you know where to move it back to if it ends up out of place.

I could try that thank you, worried it'll still leak though

Caoboy 04-28-2019 09:07 AM

I am not sure, but I do know that auto halfshafts are different than manual halfshafts.

stin1 04-28-2019 09:19 AM

I can attest to that. Some guy sold me a " ek9" mid shaft. Ended up being an automatic and wouldn't fit. I may still have the thing too. I can look for you op if you can't find one.

JRCivic1 04-28-2019 07:20 PM

The dust seal has nothing to do with the transmission leaking... that is the axle seal that is pressed into the transmission/clutch housing cases. The purpose of the metal dust seal on the half shaft is to minimize the possibility of something making contact with the axle seal and causing a leak since these parts are low and close to the ground and vulnerable to impact by worldly objects that commonly exist on our streets.

If you have a leaking issue, you need to look closer at the axle seal in the clutch housing.

BiggieBert 04-29-2019 01:06 PM

What he said ^

MitchHamilton 04-29-2019 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51919729)
The dust seal has nothing to do with the transmission leaking... that is the axle seal that is pressed into the transmission/clutch housing cases. The purpose of the metal dust seal on the half shaft is to minimize the possibility of something making contact with the axle seal and causing a leak since these parts are low and close to the ground and vulnerable to impact by worldly objects that commonly exist on our streets.

If you have a leaking issue, you need to look closer at the axle seal in the clutch housing.

Ah okay I gotcha, maybe it started leaking cause I pulled the half shaft out a bit. Might just try to bend that seal back to original shape and see what happens. Thanks everyone for the help!