Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

13.XX Volts, aftermarket gauges go crazy..

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13.XX Volts, aftermarket gauges go crazy..

Wondering if anyone has seen this. I have two electric dependant gauges, EGT, and air/fuel. My turbo timer shows my volts. Normal driving during the day my Volt reading is above 14.00. When I turn the lights on however, and rarely when they are off, the volts drop to 13.XX, and the EGT goes crazy, the needle goes all over the place, and half the lights on the air/fuel gauge light up. The back light on the EGT never changes, it always works fine. I have the power ran the the cigarette lighter, and have tryed different areas to power both, but they seem to always act this way. The ground is ran to a clean metal area, and I have taken that off and grounded them to the ignition(the metal piece where the key is inserted) and it also does the same thing. The only other thing I can think would be to try to run the power and ground straight the battery to see if that changes anything. Every once and a while the volts drop to 12.XX and the gauges work perfectly. So it is only in the 13V Range. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Could there be something grounding out throughout the interior dash area of the car causing it all to be a bad ground? I know not having a good ground will cause gauges to do weird things. Thanks!

Rob
Old 12-04-2003, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 13.XX Volts, aftermarket gauges go crazy.. (CharmCity)

Your gauges should work fine in any of those voltage areas, I would check your ground and I would not ground it to the iginition. Your ignition wires are an excellent place to pull power from, just find a good chassis ground. I am also a installer at best buy.