Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] DIY: Convert JDM OEM 92-95 Civic Foglight Harness to OEM CDM/USDM Legal Spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: [FAQ] DIY: Convert JDM OEM 92-95 Civic Foglight Harness to OEM CDM/USDM Legal Spe

Well, how about I tell you :
  1. I didn't know that this was the way the JDM harness was designed until I had it in my paws, and I compared functionality with the wiring diagram of a CDM/USDM harness.
  2. Even if I did know that its functionality was different, have you ever SEEN an OEM CDM/USDM harness for sale? I've seen ONE over 3 years. It was $100 and it is STILL for sale because that is an outrageous price. OEM JDM harnesses can be had for less than half this amount and I would see them about once a month on eBay when I was in the market.
So, now you can save that fifty bucks and put it towards something more useful than a stupid harness that nobody will ever see. Actually, if you're really clever you can use this DIY to make your own harness for next to nothing.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: [FAQ] DIY: Convert JDM OEM 92-95 Civic Foglight Harness to OEM CDM/USDM Legal Spe

Since this thread just popped up again I figured i'd thank you for the DIY, i'm probably going to have to look through this at some point, the harness I have is EDM though (BNIB EDM fogs, w00t!) Didn't know they were EDM when I bought them though, seller told me they were USDM.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:26 PM

^ I also have an EDM fog switch & harness (recently acquired). I thought the wiring harness would be almost identical to USDM/CDM, but it's different again! Of course there's no plug-in jumper for the dimmer switch but there are TWO relays...! I have no idea what's going on there.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
^ I also have an EDM fog switch & harness (recently acquired). I thought the wiring harness would be almost identical to USDM/CDM, but it's different again! Of course there's no plug-in jumper for the dimmer switch but there are TWO relays...! I have no idea what's going on there.
I have the wiring diagrams if you want them, because mine were brand new in box I have the installation instructions with wiring diagram. And yeah, there are some interesting differences in the harness (switch is different too, fits where the rear defrost would go, as the EDM ones go on the other side)
Old 01-31-2011, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94EG8
I have the wiring diagrams if you want them, because mine were brand new in box I have the installation instructions with wiring diagram. And yeah, there are some interesting differences in the harness (switch is different too, fits where the rear defrost would go, as the EDM ones go on the other side)
EDM front fog switch goes in the slot that the USDM/CDM cruise control switch goes, on the left side of the steering wheel. At least that's how it has been on every factory LHD Factory EG hatch i've seen in person or pictures of.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Well, how about I tell you :
  1. I didn't know that this was the way the JDM harness was designed until I had it in my paws, and I compared functionality with the wiring diagram of a CDM/USDM harness.
  2. Even if I did know that its functionality was different, have you ever SEEN an OEM CDM/USDM harness for sale? I've seen ONE over 3 years. It was $100 and it is STILL for sale because that is an outrageous price. OEM JDM harnesses can be had for less than half this amount and I would see them about once a month on eBay when I was in the market.
So, now you can save that fifty bucks and put it towards something more useful than a stupid harness that nobody will ever see. Actually, if you're really clever you can use this DIY to make your own harness for next to nothing.
i understand that but is the law in your are a THAT **** that they really go that far to check if your fogs turn on with your headlights off? or that police give u a ticket for something like that? no one i kow of personally has .. unless it was plug and play hids

maybe im just being into the whole "jdm bling" thing and that im a ricer cause i want my fogs to be able to turn on with my parking lights

id trade my usdm harness for a jdm one anyday, my opinion

cause ive seen numerous cars with the foglights on with the parking lights ... im not trying to be a d*ck or anything so im sorry if im coming across that way

on the diy once again cause i love your diys..very good info ..
Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by tlarimer
EDM front fog switch goes in the slot that the USDM/CDM cruise control switch goes, on the left side of the steering wheel. At least that's how it has been on every factory LHD Factory EG hatch i've seen in person or pictures of.
Correct - I have the LHD EDM switch that goes with the harness and it is the reverse of JDM/USDM/CDM shape like you say.

Originally Posted by 94EG8
OMG YES! Can't believe you've been holding out on me. A pic of each page or (better) a scan of the document would be awesome. That document is rare, rare, rare so please scan and share it for posterity!

Originally Posted by JDMRPM
i understand that but is the law in your area THAT **** that they really go that far to check if your fogs turn on with your headlights off? or that police give u a ticket for something like that? no one i kow of personally has .. unless it was plug and play hids
Nah, having your fogs wired wrong is not a heat score by any stretch. While I do want to do my due diligence to comply with local regs, I'm more interested in improved functionality and utility - I don't WANT my fogs on when I'm using my high beams. If you've ever driven in fog or snow then you'd know what I'm talking about: high beams are a bad idea due to reflection and glare so I would not be using them then anyway, ergo I would not need my fog lights on. However, when I switch back to lows, the fogs will come on with if the switch is on, which is just what I want.

maybe im just being into the whole "jdm bling" thing and that im a ricer cause i want my fogs to be able to turn on with my parking lights
My CDM car has DRL headlights so I don't need them on all the time. And yeah - what you describe does sound like "JDM Bling", so maybe that's why we don't see eye to eye on this.

id trade my usdm harness for a jdm one anyday, my opinion
Straight trade? You're on.

cause ive seen numerous cars with the foglights on with the parking lights ... im not trying to be a d*ck or anything so im sorry if im coming across that way
Fog lights can be wired to run as running lights, this is perfectly fine, AFAIK. This might be what you see.

on the diy once again cause i love your diys..very good info ..
NP.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Correct - I have the LHD EDM switch that goes with the harness and it is the reverse of JDM/USDM/CDM shape like you say.

Deschlong,

How about you hook me up with that EDM front fog switch that goes in place of my cruise switch, so I don't have to figure what to do with my sunroof switch?

And how would you identify JDM/EDM/USDM/CDM fog light wiring from each other? I got mine out of new zealand, but it has the JDM/USDM style switch.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:56 PM

Heh, no - sorry. Do you know how long it took for me to find that? I recommend an Integra fog switch that goes in the centre armrest.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, had to ask, never would've forgiven myself if I didn't.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed some ebay fogs on my 94 coupe a few years ago. Last year I went to a dealership for the advertised "free inspection" and FAILED because the fogs didn't turn off with highbeams. I got it passed somewhere else but I wish I knew that before I got the fogs.

I have no idea how I even installed them or where to begin fixing it so it's wired up legally....
Old 02-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it possible that I get a copy of the installation instructions for the EDM-foglights?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:39 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by flat_eric
Is it possible that I get a copy of the installation instructions for the EDM-foglights?
I'll try to get around to scanning the instructions. I thought I'd already done it but maybe not. Here's what I do have right now though:

Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, that would be nice. Specifically I am interested in the chapter for the installation of wiring harnesses.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUMP for EDM installation instructions.

Today I wanted to see if mine worked. I have a EK/EJ edm harness. It works perfect. They go on when my city/parking lights are on or of course low/high beam.

Now like I said, it is a EK harness (interior and exterior as well I believe). The switch from an EK only has three wires coming out of it. As where the EG has five. I have a connector which fits the EG OEM fog light switch. But would I have to split up the wires on the EK harness

As the EG switch has :
RED/BLK
RED/YEL
BLK
RED/BLK
BLK

So do I split up the black on the EK harness in to two. And the Red/blk as well?

Not that much work, I have to connector and some extra pins for it, but is it necessary?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great information! Well put together and very useful when I purchased my JDM fog lights!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Deschlong, can you tell me exactly what each pin on the fog light switch does? The wire colors don't seem to do justice, I just need to know what is ground, power, etc.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:52 PM

Well, which switch in my diagrams are you asking about?
Old 12-29-2015, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, sorry to "revive" an old thread but I can't find the answer to my question anywhere, I just purchased a jdm fog light switch but I wanna use it for something else other than fog lights, I wanna use it for a kill switch, what color wire does what function on the jdm switch? Ground, power, illumination. If you could let me know that would be great, thanks