Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[Budget build thread] Daily driven Civic MB3 fastback - The little brit

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default [Budget build thread] Daily driven Civic MB3 fastback - The little brit

Time to talk about my daily car for the last 4 years. I bought this piece of s**t for 800€ in June 2017 with blown head gasket. 3 days later it was runing strong and since that day the only issue I had was a blown clutch disk (and another embarrasing moment, when I sent the car to the shop because the crash buttom jumped and didnt knew why fuel pump wasnt working). The day I bought it in Barcelona to first owner, 180.000 Km (100.000 miles aprox) It's an '98 MB3 D15Z8 evtec 114hp.

I made a little maintenance when bought it, because car hadn't any history of what was done: All filters, brake fluid, pads and disks... The very first "mod" I added was the "Igor" sticker. This friend died in a car crash years ago, he had an VTi MB6 and he introduced me to the honda world. The rest of mods I installed in a short time were VTi wing, lip, steering wheel and seats. Also, for a time EK4 wheels.

All 4 wheel arches had a bit of rust, and 2 years ago on Valentines day a tourist crashed to my car. Using the insuance money instead of respraying the bumper I repaired rear arches and replace the fenders. The bumper came to his form with just heat.

I friend gave me a couple of headlights he had from his previous car and I decided to made a retrofit.

I installed this headlights, but sold them a year later because they didnt pass the inspection in my county and I was a bit lazy to install them again. I painted the OEM ones with black masks and polish them

January 2020, my unique "fault" driving this car. A really cold night, I wasnt expecting dark Ice... and this happend. Luckily I only broke a side skirt towing the car, I fixed it with some zip ties.

Some weeks ago I painted with liquid vynil the wippers and the grill

And last week I took everything out of the car because I had some water filtrations. Sealed them, they were in the front pilar and in the trunk. After that no more mist on wet days.

I cleaned everything outside the car. Also, I glued insulating in the roof and rear inside arches. It was cheap and now in highways car is really silent.

The roof carpet was detached, so I glued a new one and installed an extra roof light

I sprayed the door molding in black, I'm planing to paint in silver the side skirts, side mirrors and handles in near future and fbought some cheap coilovers to test them, I need to replace the rear arms bushings, They're on the way.

I installed an air intake with a scoop and sealed the filter to take fresh air from outside and less warm air from the engine bay. Not sure if this will be effective, but just in case...

And some weeks ago, I saw this on a google search and decide to do the same.

You can see Im not very good sanding, so it apreciates the union of the two pieces, but its all working

I installed the coils, Now I need some alloys. Hope to find something 15x6.5 et35 or near to fill the wheel arch. A pic with the Cañonero of my dad, looks even lower. I would like to fit the EK4 jordan 15" alloys like in this chop but are hard to find in Spain.

Also, changed the H logo of the grill with one from a '03 EP2 civic, looks better than previous one I installed (forgive the mosquito season)

...and this is from yesterday. Check engine light switched on. I took code 54 (CKF Crankshaft Fluctuation Sensor)... looked the sensor wiring and surprise, it was out of his place touching alternator velt. After relocating in his place and test drive, no more check engine light. Pic isnt really good but you can see it.

And this is all for now after 4 years and 100.000 Km with the car. I will keep this updated
The following 2 users liked this post by stifler_EK:
Old 04-22-2021, 07:26 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: [Budget build thread] Daily driven Civic MB3 fastback - The little brit

Wow. I want that interior. It's way better than what we got in the US. This site is mostly USDM/JDM models. It's cool to see an EDM version.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [Budget build thread] Daily driven Civic MB3 fastback - The little brit

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
Wow. I want that interior. It's way better than what we got in the US. This site is mostly USDM/JDM models. It's cool to see an EDM version.
Those are super under rated in my country and cheaper than EG/EK (you can find a MB VTi for half a EK4 or EG6). They have a lot in comon with the domani, but base is like a Rover 45. Also, because peoples choice are coupes or hatch.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:17 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Seats look awesome.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, time to update this.

This week I took the car to the shop. At first I had only the rear arms bushings to replace, but there where also other 2 from the LCA's and another one in the front. Necesary maintance, car now doesnt make "old bed" noises.

After that I decided to change the OEM shifter for a K-tuned style one. Here's a pic of both.

The ball from the aftermarket shifter was bigger, so I ported the frame where this one goes.

And this is the result. The handling is really nice and shorter, I like it a lot

On Friday I went to the scrap, there was a new EG5 and I wanted to take some goodies, but they didnt allowed me, car was reserved for owners friend. So I checked a couple of MB's and I took only a tail light because mines it was with a part glued... but the big surprise of the day was when a friend that works on a Honda dealer called me to gave me a present. A client left a MA9 to send to scrap and he took all the parts he could for me. Really happy with this, I replaced a lot of parts damaged from others in better shape.