Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

From rat-rod to something else ...d-cheeze 97 ej6 hatch rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From rat-rod to something else ...d-cheeze 97 ej6 hatch rebuild

Here is the build up of my commuter car .this is going to mainly be an apperance build ...... 1997 civic dx hatch . My aunt was the original owner it is was basically stock when I got it . It had bad repainted from dark amethest pearl to a cheap black paint job . I wanted to build something out of the norm so I decided to go for the rat rod look ... Had some used coker wide white walls at my old employer so I painted the steelies red ,got some trim rings and some 79 prelude center caps with custom bullet center , lowered it down on cheap coilovers and KYB's , had my buddy add some stripes ... I drove it this way for a few years

The paint was shitty and the drivers door had a dent from where my wife backed into it ... So I figured I would repaint it hot rod satin black , new stripes and a new set of 13x7 diamond stellies with some shaved 155/80-13 Lowrider tires and a custom chrome grill .... Again drove it for a few years like that

Even tried out some wire wheels but the rubbed bad

Last November a drunk driver drove through my nieghbors yard and hit it and my wife's yukon .... At this point I thought it was time for a complete makeover

Damages where not all that bad but his insurance gave me a decent amount and I add some money on top !

Dropped it off at my buddy's body shop and they got busy right away ...

More progress
Had to replace fender / hood and headlight

Order a bunch of stuff off ebay
New headlights
Tailights
Rep spoon wing and mirrors
Edm fog light
Then finished the body work and prepped for paint

[IMG]http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab185/d_cheese86/2014-08/8BD7182A-0811-4E4A-961C-5694481015E0_zpsd2fpop1v.jpg[/IMG]

Let the spraying begin ... Decided to go with original dark amethest pearl

Fresh out of the booth

Buffing begins

Since I had a whole new look going on new wheels where in order ( please don't hate on the stretch tires ) going for the flushed / stanced look . Wheels are str 522 titanium 15x8 +10 mm offset with nexan 175/50-15 .... I think the color was going to go great with the DAP color of the car !!

I couldn't wait for the car to be done so Slapped them on ... Luckily I had rolled the fenders before paint ... Wheels fit just how I thought they would

Few more ... After alignment ... 1.5 camber front 2.7 rear

Assembly continues ... Painted lower grill area , install edm fog light ( wired it as brake light ) and installed rear wing

Next install my tow hooks , mud flaps , dohc vtec stickers ( I know ) got new Honda "H" emblems from
Dealer and threw a newer civic emblem and spoon emblem on trunk

Next up was a CTR lip and replica fog lights ... And some license plate frames

Got some hid 6k headlights next and led turn signals

Next thought I would work on the interior ...
My drivers seats where ripped , both door panels where broken
.... Went to the junk yard to see what they had and as I pulled up they where dropping off a wrecked 99 ... Scored the seats and door panels for 200.00 also scored a crv ex cluster with tach ... Since theft is a big problem where I live I bought a whole nrg quick release set up with carbon horn button and some mugen floor mats
4BB1C9190544_zps6uzgtvn6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Next I addressed the suspension... It already had coilovers , KYB's , skunk 2 camber kits ... Added strut bars and extened top hats ( improved ride quality dramatically ) ... Also tried to get more power with aem short ram intake ( notice no power difference what so ever )

Few days later I added LCA's and lower tie bar

My headliner had seen better days ... Since I was a vw guy before and always wanted some plaid on my interior I decided to cover my headliner with some plaid material

Since I had some material left I cover the rear package tray to , added a c-pillar brace ... Added rear headrests since I did not want my kids cracking there heads open on c-pillar bar

Next I went ahead and paid to have seat inserts changed over ...

Up next was to have the hood and rear wing wrapped with carbon fiber vynil

Next on the list of things to do is going to be a h22 swap .... Stay tuned

Few more pics

Last edited by toyomatt84; 03-15-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: From rat-rod to clean street car ...d-cheeze 97 ej6 hatch rebuild

I don't have a single nice thing to say.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Swaggylicious

looked much better lowrider style

now it's just like any other ebay shitty civic
Old 03-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

paint looks good. I hate the wheels, but I think it needs to be lower to pull them off.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your such a trend follower its not even funny.

The car is automatic and basically stock, why does it need control arms and tie bars and spoon badges? Literally you get laughed at
Old 03-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

The paint looks good, but the rest isn't really for me.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the compliments on the paint as for the other comments whatever . You guys may not like it but I get compliments and thumbs up every time I drive it . Bottom line I didn't build it for anybody but myself . I like it and that's all that matters . It was an apperance build only for now since it is my commuter and I drive it at least 100 miles a day . My future plans are for an h series swap . Maybe at that point I may get some respect on this site . I have noticed a lot of up tight people on this forum that hate on styles that are not what they like . It's sad to read . But it is what it is !
Old 03-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by d-cheeze
Thanks for the compliments on the paint as for the other comments whatever . You guys may not like it but I get compliments and thumbs up every time I drive it . Bottom line I didn't build it for anybody but myself . I like it and that's all that matters . It was an apperance build only for now since it is my commuter and I drive it at least 100 miles a day . My future plans are for an h series swap . Maybe at that point I may get some respect on this site . I have noticed a lot of up tight people on this forum that hate on styles that are not what they like . It's sad to read . But it is what it is !
For clarity's sake:
1. It's not "hate". Hate has a far more derogatory meaning then this. It's a disagreement on styling preferences, nothing more then that.

2. Respect is given to those who utilize quality products, instead of buying bargain-bin replicas, as well as to vehicles built using safe practices (instead of stretching a tire that is not rated for the wheel width).

3. This isn't so much a "style" thing, as it is a quality product issue. I can understand people enjoying the whole low offset style, but I don't get why people spend $10 on a knock-off to achieve it. AutoZone/eBay builds really don't say ANYTHING positive about the owner.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i like the interior - it looks well done.

the paint looked like there was a lot of dirt in it before buffing, can see it in the booth shots. would never let that painter touch my car. a pro paint job should not really require a cut/buff unless it's going on the show circuit and needs to be mirror smooth.

the plethora of ebay parts is unfortunate. if you had taken all that nickle and dime stuff, replaced it with used OEM parts, then spent the extra money on GOOD coilovers and a decent set of rims, you would have been that much ahead. for the love of god, why do people think black housing headlights are type R? I have type R headlights, they are NOT black, just a slightly darker chrome.

that being said, the car isn't far from being not bad looks-wise. change of rims would go a long way.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
For clarity's sake:
1. It's not "hate". Hate has a far more derogatory meaning then this. It's a disagreement on styling preferences, nothing more then that.

2. Respect is given to those who utilize quality products, instead of buying bargain-bin replicas, as well as to vehicles built using safe practices (instead of stretching a tire that is not rated for the wheel width).

3. This isn't so much a "style" thing, as it is a quality product issue. I can understand people enjoying the whole low offset style, but I don't get why people spend $10 on a knock-off to achieve it. AutoZone/eBay builds really don't say ANYTHING positive about the owner.
What he said.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I actually dig the interior reupholstering.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually really liked the original look. Neat and different. I like the reupholstering. And hey its your car so if you like it thats all that really matters. I will say sometimes saving up for OEM/higher quality parts is worth it in the long run. Especially since you've had this car for a while.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the rat/hot rod thing would pretty unique and cool on older hondas
as for this car this build is not really my style but my opinion doesnt matter keep building and lets see what the car will turn into later hard work pays off
Old 03-17-2015, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for sharing. Paint looks awesome. Keeping building the car that you want, your the one driving it.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden
I don't have a single nice thing to say.
OMFG THIS X100000

Edit: only nice thing is the clean paint job, plus i love DAP. But the ricer STR wheels with ridiculous offset with stretched tires, fake spoon badges (of a badge they also don't make with zero spoon parts), horrendous moooogen floor mates that Mugen doesn't even make, fake ctr front lip, unsafe egay steering wheel which flexes every time you turn smh, on top of that its AUTOMATIC. I can keep going but I wont. Stop modifying cars, you clearly have bad taste. The title is misleading, nothing clean about this Chinese ebay mod'd auto civic SMH....
Old 03-17-2015, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For all the people that gave me compliments thanks for the kind words ... For all those who don't like my car, keep your comments to yourself ...I like my car and what I have done to it ...have you every heard the saying " if you have nothing nice to say the keep your mouth shut "
I am done with this forum ... I have been a member of many forums but this one seems to have the most people with the most negative opinions ...I am out !

Last edited by toyomatt84; 03-17-2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Edited for accuracy.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not my style, but i like the "Hot Rod background" of the build. The car is a lot cleaner than it was, its great.
take the bad comments on the constructive side and its should be okay.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol watch him join nwp4life
Old 03-17-2015, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Like the make over better. Need the sir lip and get rid of the wrap on the hood.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d-cheeze
For all the people that gave me compliments thanks for the kind words ... For all those who don't like my car, keep your comments to yourself ...I like my car and what I have done to it ...have you every heard the saying " if you have nothing nice to say the keep your mouth shut "
I am done with this forum ... I have been a member of many forums but this one seems to have the most people with the most negative opinions ...I am out !
You don't want "critics" (ie the truth in this case) DO NOT POST ON A PUBLIC FORUM. Stop crying.

On a brighter note, the car isn't a total loss, i'd say sell the wheels and get better ones that aren't expensive such as Buddy Club, Sparco, Spun, Konig, Enkei and or even Rota(ideally 15-16")....with tires that fit and are functional. REMOVE the fake spoon badge, REMOVE the moooogen floor mats and replace with new oem honda. Get a quality steering wheel which will not only look better but more importantly safer, such as any Sparco, Momo, Personal or even Grip Royal which is your cheapest bet. And your car will actually look really good, still painfully slow but look good lol.

FYI: Honda-tech isn't negative, its members for the most part are real automotive enthusiasts; more specifically honda/acura enthusiasts. We are simply giving you the hard truth. Which is why its the best automotive forum imho, especially honda/acura specific one.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From rat-rod to something else ...d-cheeze 97 ej6 hatch rebuild

damn i saw ratrod and got excited, i thought someone else went from a real "ratrod" to a build…..not a civic to a civic smh. misleading headline to get views.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with most people in here.

Just changing the wheels for something without the ridiculous offset and stretched tires would make a huge difference.

I like the DAP on gold wheels though.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the h swap turned out to be more hassle and money then it was worth ... I decided to do a b-swap instead ... Bought a complete wrecked low mileage integra ls 5 speed and I am in the middle of swap .... Also converting from auto to manual , rear disc conversion and adding air conditiong ...pics up soon
Old 05-13-2015, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see you have returned, I'll give you props for that and your swap. But I absolutely hate your taste in exterior modifications.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KevinEF7
Your such a trend follower its not even funny.

The car is automatic and basically stock, why does it need control arms and tie bars and spoon badges? Literally you get laughed at
pretty much sums it up. This car screams ebay parts

interior is cool though

Quick Reply: From rat-rod to something else ...d-cheeze 97 ej6 hatch rebuild