Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

$20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first??

The one shop here in town wanted $50 for each 14" HX wheel and $75 for each 17". Well, they can lick my sack!

I talked with a girl at work who has 17" black Konig Tantrums on her car. I asked where she got them from and said they were powdercoated from a shop that is like 45 minutes away.

She said they do all 4 for $100.

Well, I called the shop and the lady called back leaving a message. She said approximately $20 a wheel, but if painted they must be "B blasted" and all oils / grease must be removed.

Is "B blasted" the same as sand blasting? I am trying to get some HX wheels off a friend and going to get them powdercoated either dark gray or black.

I offered the girl my stock 98 wheels and some cash, but she hasn't went for the deal yet
Old 07-23-2002, 12:06 PM
New User

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (LX98Civic)

I think what they were saying is "Bead Blasting." It's similar to sand blasting but using beads for better impact on the rim. It's a must if you want the paint to stay on for a while. Around my way, $50 is the going rate for powdercoating one wheel.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (Guardson3r3)

I think what they were saying is "Bead Blasting." It's similar to sand blasting but using beads for better impact on the rim. It's a must if you want the paint to stay on for a while. Around my way, $50 is the going rate for powdercoating one wheel.
Does that $50 include them ceaning the rim up >>> Bead blasting , etc...?
Is there such thing as a $hitty powdercoating job? Or is it pretty much how the prep work is done to determine how long it will last and look good.

Thanks for the info!!

PS <> Would bead blasting remove the white from my wheels as well? They were white from the TenzoR factory.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (LX98Civic)

yah, they want your wheels down to bare metal. $20 per wheel, blasted or not, is suspicious if you ask me. I've heard as low as $25, prepped, but that was for a batch of 10-12 sets, not just 1 set.

Old 07-23-2002, 12:47 PM
New User

Yes, $50 per 17 inch wheel to prep it(bead blasting, cleaning all oils, etc) which means getting it down to the bare metal like "94CivicSi" said and painting it any color your heart desires. The place my friend went to also uses heat treatment to get the paint to stick. I only know of this one place around my way and they do good work from the results I see. The only thing about "heat treating" is that the strength of the wheel is compromised when under all that heat.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (Guardson3r3)

well, heat is part of the part of the powder coating process. The powder is literally that, a powder that's shot at a hot wheel. Only the heat gets it to melt and stick. BUT, it's not hot enough to compromise the structure of the wheel.

After looking for a good powder coater for a few weeks, I elected to get my wheels painted instead and I'm very happy. I got a deep metallic finish, something you can't get with PC, looks good. All 4, prepped and painted, $200 at a local body shop and it only took 2 days.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (94CivicSi)

well, heat is part of the part of the powder coating process. The powder is literally that, a powder that's shot at a hot wheel. Only the heat gets it to melt and stick. BUT, it's not hot enough to compromise the structure of the wheel.

After looking for a good powder coater for a few weeks, I elected to get my wheels painted instead and I'm very happy. I got a deep metallic finish, something you can't get with PC, looks good. All 4, prepped and painted, $200 at a local body shop and it only took 2 days.
How long have they been painted? $200 just seems kind of stepp IMO when you consider new wheels depending on size can be just a little over that....
Old 07-23-2002, 01:24 PM

With Bead Blasting they use some type of less abrasive media than sand. They may use walnut shells or something like that so they don't pit the surface. As for the price of powder coating...all those prices sound expensive. I can get it done $20 total, $5 per wheel. But here we have a large assembly line and order large amounts of powder. Maybe small time places will cost more due to the smaller scale of their operation. Although, what I've done in the past for other parts is have the company order a sample of some color I like. The samples are free and can range anywhere from 3 to 10 pounds depending on the company. 3 pounds is plenty for a set of wheels. Sorry I wrote too much.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:31 PM

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (94CivicSi)

I don't know if there are different processes of powder coating, but that's not the process that I'm familiar with. First, the part is thoroughly cleaned, any dirt or oil is removed using any process necessary. There shouldn't be any paint on your part either. After the surface is prepped, it is coated with powder. The powder is full of positively charger particles and the part is charged with a negative current. The powder is sprayed out of an air powered gun (similar to spray painting gun) and sticks to the part because of the +/- attraction. (No heating involved...yet). Then after it is coated it moves to the oven/kiln where the part is baked and the powder melts and thus creating a hard coating on the part.

[Modified by WalkEX99, 5:34 PM 7/23/2002]
Old 07-23-2002, 01:44 PM

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (WalkEX99)

I got my 18" Konig Tantrums powdercoated white for $175 from start to finish. I couldn't believe they looked so good. This was a couple years ago though.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (WalkEX99)

Your not alone in your thinking, especially since your right. Powdercoating is the process of getting powder to cling to the part via static electricity, the part is then heated until the powder is melted to a gloss. It really shouldn't be getting hot enough to compromise the wheel though.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (threeclaws)

I got a quote for my Hx wheel. 200 all four and they'll do the prep work.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (Boost Pressure)

Around my area the price is usually $35 per wheel if it's a basic color. That includes prep work and all. I painted my 94 GSR wheels myself which I think looks just as good. I stripped them with aerosol aircraft remover and then sanded them really well. I shot some primer, then some low gloss heat temp. black and then a few coats of clear.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:50 AM

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (VTECVillain)

I got mine prepped and PC'd for $60. If i had it to do over again, I would have just bought some rim paint and rattle canned them. My powdercoating is chipping from rocks and sh*t. And 60 bucks worth of rim paint would have let me change the color of them quite a few times. Just my .02. PC not worth the money.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:37 AM

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (00CIVICwB18C1)

Don't worry about it compromising the wheels, I work at a pc shop as well and we see many sets go by, perhaps soon even my Rota Shitstreams
Old 07-24-2002, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rattle cans OWN , ***** powdecoating

waste of money
Old 08-07-2002, 06:52 AM
New User

How do wheels looks once theyve been bead blasted? I just bought some Accord EX wheels on ebay. The previous owner had them bead blasted but not powdercoated before he sold them. I am planning on getting them powdercoated eventually. But, I wanna know if they will look alright just the way they are.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:27 AM
New User

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (Accord2K1)

Anyone?
Old 08-10-2002, 04:07 PM

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (Accord2K1)

How do wheels looks once theyve been bead blasted? I just bought some Accord EX wheels on ebay. The previous owner had them bead blasted but not powdercoated before he sold them. I am planning on getting them powdercoated eventually. But, I wanna know if they will look alright just the way they are.
They will look like bare metal once they are bead blasted. All that does is strip the paint.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:40 AM
New User

Default Re: $20 to powdercoat wheel! But, must be "B blasted" first?? (00CIVICwB18C1)

I finally got 'em heres a pic:

Old 08-13-2002, 11:41 AM
New User

OK...if you cant see it. Right click on the angelfire box--->choose properties--->then copy and paste the url into the address bar.