Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Update: Unsuccessful dealer Reflash attempt!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 03:02 PM
NO MERCY!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update: Unsuccessful dealer Reflash attempt!

Well I went to the dealer to try the reflash cause my vehicle is in the VIN range stated in the TSB. Here's the deal:

They said that (1) the update was already performed on the vehicle. Which I guess is okay with me. But (2) they couldn't even get into the ECU programming ( so they say) because of my intake and DCRH because the CAT was eliminated and causing a CEL. This was causing the vehicle to operate in a "safe mode" whatever that means.

Anybody have any issues with this??
Old 01-04-2007, 04:30 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the car is in "safe mode" wouldn't it be limited in performance?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (eL)

That's what I thought. The car is .6 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile so the performance is there. I don't know what safe mode means but frankly it's got me worried because it might mean that the car is running lean.

Exact words of the dealer were that the ECU isn't communicating with the 02 sensors somehow and they can't tap into the ECU because of the DCRH. I don't know if it's just because of the CEL or the race header itself. And an aftermarket reflash will completely void my entire warranty so i'm still wanting to wait on that.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why dont you trick the 02 sensor like everyone else that has that header does... it gets rid of the light, then should eliminate the dealer problem.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:38 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (Demonis)

I already have the non-fouler to do that. Part# 42009 right? Anyway....I hope it works, if not the DCRH is comin off ASAP. I dunno maybe I should confront DC about this issue.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RICO_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RICO_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I already have the non-fouler to do that. Part# 42009 right? Anyway....I hope it works, if not the DCRH is comin off ASAP. I dunno maybe I should confront DC about this issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why the hell would you confront DC about this? there is no issue, you put on an "offroad only" modification. You got rid of the cat, this is in no ways DC's fault.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:16 AM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (cnyej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnyej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why the hell would you confront DC about this? there is no issue, you put on an "offroad only" modification. You got rid of the cat, this is in no ways DC's fault. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It is if it's gonna cause engine damage. According to the dealership the header itself might be causing my car to run lean. Offroad or not they need to make something COMPATIBLE with the car AND it's electronics.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:36 AM
NO MERCY!

And also another thing the dealer told me that sounded like ABSOLUTE B.S. and made me doubt them even more is that there's some program upgrade that can be done to bypass all of this communication crap problems between the ECU and aftermarket components (sounds like a Re-flash on steroids) that's around 4 grand. Never heard of anything like that.

So here's what will probably end up happening:

(1) I call D.C. about this so-called ECU communication issue possibly causing my car to run lean.

(2) They tell me "well we haven't heard of any problems with that issue"

(3) I ask them does the header cause my car to run lean??

(4) They say "well it shouldn't!" (so in other words they don't know)

(5) I will give up after that point and either:

a. Continue with the header and risk damaging my engine
b. Take the damn thing off and wait for something better to come out from a company that actually knows what the hell they are talking about and building.

Last time I spoke with D.C. the "tech" was so stumbly and didn't really sound like he had too much experience with the product.

Apparently this issue is isolated to Honda vehicles only (another thing the dealer told me) because I never had any ECU issues with my '03 Tiburon when I had the race header on it. The CEL never even came on. Don't really know what's going on or what the actual truth is. Which is why i'm asking everyone in here to help me make some sense of this issue?? It's not really about the re-flash anymore.....it's about the possibility of the DCRH f**king up my engine.

So I guess what i'm trying to ask is <U>Will the non-fouler and removal of the CEL correct this issue with the ECU??</U>

Modified by RICO_ at 4:28 AM 1/5/2007
Old 01-05-2007, 04:16 AM

Wait..... the dealership told you that because of the DCRH...... the ECU is having communications issues?
Old 01-05-2007, 04:18 AM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: (elklodgeezra)

EXACTLY!!! Sounds bogus right?? My CEL is on and so they say that the ECU can't communicate with the O2 sensors or some crap like that

Im not even driving my car anymore till i get some answers cause i don't know if the engine will pop or what the hell is gonna happen.

I'm soo confused
Old 01-05-2007, 04:19 AM

Dude, that doesn't make too much sense, did they tell you what the error code was for the CEL?
Old 01-05-2007, 04:22 AM
NO MERCY!

I don't have the non-fouler on yet. The CEL is being caused by the DCRH. Both O2 sensors are reading an equal amount of raw exhaust flow because the cat is removed so it triggered the CEL.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:27 AM

Yeah but, did they give you a CODE?
Old 01-05-2007, 04:28 AM
NO MERCY!

NOpe. But i'm sure somebody in this forum knows the error code.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:30 AM

Hmmm..... hold on a sec....
Old 01-05-2007, 04:36 AM
NO MERCY!

It just sucks because my 03 Tiburon had 90K miles on it with 30K on the DCRH when i traded it in for my Si. Never had a single problem with that car. NOT ONE! And people gave that car such a bad rep.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:44 AM

I really enjoyed the Tiburon's.... I don't know, people are dumb sometimes. But yeah man, I don't see how they explained this to you since the 02 sensor that matters should be placed before where your CAT would have gone. I think they're feeding you one hell of a line. Tell them to take off the negative connection on the battery terminal for a few minutes that turn the car back on and do the reflash.... CEL won't be on, for at least a few minutes, and even if what they say is true, there'll be communication between the 02 sensors and the ECU.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok
you should check out 8thcivic.com regional forums
find someon in your area that has gotten the HDS update done
and head to that dealership

Than call honda... tell them how you got the run around
another dealer fixed it and tell them how you'll never buy a honda again yadda yadda.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Re: (Type X)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok
you should check out 8thcivic.com regional forums
find someon in your area that has gotten the HDS update done
and head to that dealership

Than call honda... tell them how you got the run around
another dealer fixed it and tell them how you'll never buy a honda again yadda yadda. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-05-2007, 04:58 AM

HO2S codes:

P0137, Low Voltage
P0138, High Voltage
P0139, Slow Response
P0141, Heater Circuit Malfunction

First, your service center is right, the HO2S sensor will influence the duration of your fuel injection. You are likely reading out of range.

Second, I can hear someone explaining the Low Voltage or High Voltage to a customer as "Sensor not communicating with ECU." The HO2S sensor is *heated* to try to minimize noisy measurements. Out of range measurements are filtered. When enough of them are detected by the ECU it will set the code and MIL. (And perhaps go "open loop" for the HO2S only.)

Third, you've chosen to go with aftermarket intake and a race header. Pony up for the HONDATA reflash if you want to keep the race header.

Fourth, there are people who are looking at putting high flow cats on the back of race headers. Depending on how mod-bitten you are, you can mod *and* breathe better at night.

And fifth, if you aren't completely mod-bidden, you can consider taking the race header off.

-mr. bill
Old 01-05-2007, 04:59 AM
NO MERCY!

I think I will. But two different dealerships have now said the exact same thing to me. So maybe they just don't like seeing aftermarket parts on their cars, or maybe they are telling the truth. Don't know.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:23 AM
NO MERCY!

Im probably just gonna remove the header cause i don't think i'm getting anywhere with these airheads at the dealership. I just think they're afraid to touch the car cause of the header.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:26 AM

Well, that and from their perspective since the problem is being caused by an aftermarket part, it's not their problem, they handle factory issues.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:39 AM
NO MERCY!

Header = Removed. I don't trust DC enough to gamble with my warranty.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:40 AM

Good call.

Quick Reply: Update: Unsuccessful dealer Reflash attempt!